Chidera Eggerue aka The Slumflower

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No I don’t think it is. As much as I dislike SFs approach, I think to call a popular phrase vulgar is a bit racist
How is that racist?😂 ah here we go!!

So someone constantly making reference to throats and necks isn’t a bit gross and unnecessary? I said it’s OK for other cultures to read it that way.
Not racist at all, I’m talking about throats and necks, NOT race

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
How is that racist?😂 ah here we go!!

So someone constantly making reference to throats and necks isn’t a bit gross and unnecessary?
Not racist at all, I’m talking about throats and necks, NOT other cultures.
I think if someone from a country that colonised your country called the way you speak “vulgar”, you would find that a bit elitist and feel bad. I’m Nigerian

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I think if someone from a country that colonised your country called the way you speak “vulgar”, you would find that a bit elitist and feel bad. I’m Nigerian
You brought colonisation, race and cultures into it, I didn’t.
My comment that, in my culture (raised in UK), talking about necks and throats sounds vulgar is a valid opinion.

You brought colonisation, race and cultures into it, I didn’t.
My comment that, in my culture (raised in UK), talking about necks and throats sounds vulgar is a valid opinion.
I’m also English. I’ve been raised here my entire life so I can speak on behalf of English people too. It is racist because it’s a Nigerian phrase. I explained that politely and you still insist on calling it vulgar. I understand at initial glance the phrase looks harsh to you but once I explained, you can learn and move on.

Of course I have to bring colonisation into it. We wouldn’t be speaking English in Nigeria if it wasn’t for the fact. And to call the Nigerian phrases we have coined from the English language “vulgar” is a form of microaggression and elitism.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I’m also English. I’ve been raised here my entire life so I can speak on behalf of English people too. It is racist because it’s a Nigerian phrase. I explained that politely and you still insist on calling it vulgar. I understand at initial glance the phrase looks harsh to you but once I explained, you can learn and move on.

Of course I have to bring colonisation into it. We wouldn’t be speaking English in Nigeria if it wasn’t for the fact. And to call the Nigerian phrases we have coined from the English language “vulgar” is a form of microaggression and elitism.

looooll god feel like I’m talking to Chidera herself. Leaving this one. If you can’t handle another person expressing their opinion on a phrase, which was ALL I did, then maybe these online gossip forums aren’t for you?
Do not call me racist or elitist. I am neither of those things.

Reactions: 1
@champagnemami99 what you said was racist. I didn’t call you a racist - I don’t know you so how could I? Everyone has the capacity to say racist things.

If you can’t take the time to consider what people from other cultures are telling you about your actions, you will find yourself consistently saying racist things.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I use Aussie slang that my British in laws call vulgar. It’s a confronting expression to those not familiar. Open your throat provokes an imagery to some who aren’t familiar with it as a colloquialism. That said, now knowing it’s Nigerian slang does change my perception of the phrase as it’s intended expression is not how I received it.

Reactions: 4
I agree that it was a bit odd to call those sayings vulgar, there are plenty of western / english sayings that by the same measure could be called vulgar, like: break a leg, by the skin of your teeth, kill two birds with one stone, more than one way to skin a cat, etc

I don’t think sayings referring to necks like that are that much more vulgar than many others, isn’t “wind your neck in” a western thing?

Reactions: 26
I use Aussie slang that my British in laws call vulgar. It’s a confronting expression to those not familiar. Open your throat provokes an imagery to some who aren’t familiar with it as a colloquialism.
Black people have a relationship to language and culture that is extremely different to what Australians do. There isn’t a comparison here

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Black people have a relationship to language and culture that is extremely different to what Australians do. There isn’t a comparison here
It’s about not understanding that relationship. I’m not trying to equate my experience to that of a black British person in anyway.

also find “wind your neck in” and “more than one way to skin a cat” confronting. Language provokes imagery. A published author knows this.

Reactions: 3
It’s about not understanding that relationship. I’m not trying to equate my experience to that of a black British person in anyway.

also find “wind your neck in” and “more than one way to skin a cat” confronting. Language provokes imagery. A published author knows this.
As said above, There are many expressions and phrases in the English language that are “vulgar”.

Reactions: 1
Again, like I said before, I think this is down to a lack of familiarity with the phrase. Where I was brought up we use the phrase "dirty gutsed" when someone is being nasty to you. My friend from only 20 miles away was HORRIFIED by this term. As it was something I had always heard and said, it never even occurred to me what I was saying was actually really vile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5

“Confronting” is a perfectly fine descriptor. “Vulgar” implies disgust. It’s elitist the same way, for example, calling someone “common” is elitist.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
“Confronting” is a perfectly fine descriptor. “Vulgar” implies disgust. It’s elitist the same way, for example, calling someone “common” is elitist.
Exactly! When I first heard it I just thought, “tit, strong language, the woman is angry”. I didn’t think eww gross. Again being common isn’t really an insult that carries much weight down here.

Reactions: 4
noone is angry lol?
the word vulgar makes reference to body parts and functions, i used this word due to the constant reference to throats and necks, as pointed out by another user.

I am not here to argue, or be called elitist or racist.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 11.58.41.png

Reactions: 2
@champagnemami99 I understand you weren’t familiar with the phrase which is why I politely informed you of it’s Nigerian meaning.

You then decided to double-down on the word “vulgar” even after you had received the explanation. That’s when it became racist. When you had the knowledge that this phrase is popularly used by Nigerians and still decided to call it vulgar.

You can’t really use the excuse “I’m English, I find it vulgar” - because I’m English too. I learned the phrase the same way you did - by someone explaining it. I didn’t say “ew” or “that’s vulgar”. I simply showed my respect for the culture and accepted it.

Tired of having the way we speak in Nigeria called “vulgar”. We’re just adapting a language (that we didn’t even want to speak) to fit our culture, and now it’s part of our culture. Please respect that.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
@champagnemami99 I understand you weren’t familiar with the phrase which is why I politely informed you of it’s Nigerian meaning.

You then decided to double-down on the word “vulgar” even after you had received the explanation. That’s when it became racist. When you had the knowledge that this phrase is popularly used by Nigerians and still decided to call it vulgar.

You can’t really use the excuse “I’m English, I find it vulgar” - because I’m English too. I learned the phrase the same way you did - by someone explaining it. I didn’t say “ew” or “that’s vulgar”. I simply showed my respect for the culture and accepted it.

Tired of having the way we speak in Nigeria called “vulgar”. We’re just adapting a language (that we didn’t even want to speak) to fit our culture, and now it’s part of our culture. Please respect that.
I think you have wrongly assumed that I am attacking you or indeed Nigerian culture, by using a negative descriptor about a, which I now know, is a popular expression in Nigerian culture.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with expressing an opinion about something. All the posts are there, we were saying theslumflower has made reference to throats and necks consistently throughout her campaign, I used the word 'vulgar' as this is a word people use when someone makes explicit reference to bodily functions, that is MY understanding, that is my schema of thought, NOT anything to do with Nigeria and its culture.

I did not 'double-down', I simply reminded you of the simple phrase I used to remind you that I am NOT attacking culture or being racist? Yes, I agree if I used the word 'vulgar' to respond to something explicitly outlined as Nigerian, then yes that is offensive and perhaps I wouldn't have the best intention, but that is not the case.

Done fighting and attacking me yet?

noone is angry lol?
the word vulgar makes reference to body parts and functions, i used this word due to the constant reference to throats and necks, as pointed out by another user.

I am not here to argue, or be called elitist or racist.

View attachment 414950
When you’re quoting dictionary definitions, you’re really on the back foot. Also omitting the first part of the definition “lacking sophistication or good taste” to go for the secondary and less common usage is quite shady. You also probably saw the side bar definition of vulgarity which is “the quality of being common, coarse, or unrefined”. Come on, no need to derail when you could’ve said “thanks for the context”.

Back on the stories today as hard as ever! No cease and desist yet then it seems.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.