Chidera Eggerue aka The Slumflower

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Kinda felt the same when she said she was a sexual assault survivor who had been raped multiple times by multiple people. Had she mentioned that before she was defending herself and the rape comments?

0AE72619-6C1C-4185-B02C-0468512580FB.jpeg

Was this copied from The Slum Flower too?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just want to put some points across from the world of academic publishing, that I’ve been involved in.

Journal articles, academic books and pretty much every non-fiction textbook you will read as part of your education will have parts that are borrowed from other academics. This is NORMAL. Black, white, brown...skin colour is completely irrelevant as long, and this is incredibly important, as long as credit is given. This is not financial credit, but written credit in the reference section/bibliography. I think Florence is guilty only of not crediting appropriately.

You might think, that academic publishing is so far removed from these Feminist illustrated works. Not since several schools and higher education institutions have incorporated WDOYP into their reading lists. This is now a book being used to teach and should be amended to reflect that.

I think for the next print run, Florence should go through each page, and where work has been borrowed (and it HAS been borrowed - I’ve got both books and a lot of the ideas and imagery are inspired by previously existing work - she didn’t invent it, although did SF??), it should be credited in line with academic referencing. I think SF would be hard pushed to find fault with that.

I also believe that SF should do the same with her book, as she didn’t invent the ideas, imagery, text in her book either.

Incidentally, has anyone else apart from SF accused Florence of stealing work?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
What are the odds there will be white people in Munroe’s comments/DMs calling her a coconut?
As others have pointed out, she uses this language irresponsibly because now her supporters will latch on to it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
What are the odds there will be white people in Munroe’s comments/DMs calling her a coconut?
As others have pointed out, she uses this language irresponsibly because now her supporters will latch on to it.
She's gatekeeping again - you're not black enough if you don't agree with her. You don't "understand" the struggle according it her. It's shady as duck

Just want to put some points across from the world of academic publishing, that I’ve been involved in.

Journal articles, academic books and pretty much every non-fiction textbook you will read as part of your education will have parts that are borrowed from other academics. This is NORMAL. Black, white, brown...skin colour is completely irrelevant as long, and this is incredibly important, as long as credit is given. This is not financial credit, but written credit in the reference section/bibliography. I think Florence is guilty only of not crediting appropriately.

You might think, that academic publishing is so far removed from these Feminist illustrated works. Not since several schools and higher education institutions have incorporated WDOYP into their reading lists. This is now a book being used to teach and should be amended to reflect that.

I think for the next print run, Florence should go through each page, and where work has been borrowed (and it HAS been borrowed - I’ve got both books and a lot of the ideas and imagery are inspired by previously existing work - she didn’t invent it, although did SF??), it should be credited in line with academic referencing. I think SF would be hard pushed to find fault with that.

I also believe that SF should do the same with her book, as she didn’t invent the ideas, imagery, text in her book either.

Incidentally, has anyone else apart from SF accused Florence of stealing work?
100% and academic referencing is a very hard skill to master. Would actually be an interesting assignment to give students her book and have them retrospectively search her sources to create the reference list.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
100% and academic referencing is a very hard skill to master. Would actually be an interesting assignment to give students her book and have them retrospectively search her sources to create the reference list.
That’s a great idea! I hope a Women’s Studies or Social Sciences lecturer sees this!

Florence’s book design and her whole aesthetic in general is very 1970s. The design of SF’s book is certainly not. I actually don’t think SF has a particular, recognisable aesthetic at all, whereas 2 seconds on FG’s Instagram, the 1970s feel is instantly evident. I don’t know how SF can compare the two from a design point of view, other than they both have illustrations and are very graphics based with bright colours.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Honestly am torn between thinking SF is a bit academically thick with her reliance on 10 second Googles and ignorance of book publishing/how genres work, and then wondering if she’s actually genius, knows it’s bullshit but it’s making her money so why should she care.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Honestly am torn between thinking SF is a bit academically thick with her reliance on 10 second Googles and ignorance of book publishing/how genres work, and then wondering if she’s actually genius, knows it’s bullshit but it’s making her money so why should she care.
I think she is thick but also taking advantage 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Does chidera really think that a drawing done in red pen is effective evidence of plagiarism. Wow.

Hope some taxman somewhere is enjoying Chidera’s stories. What an absolute idiot posting about how much money you’ve personally brought in during the last few months. Honestly clueless

Does chidera really think that a drawing done in red pen is effective evidence of plagiarism. Wow.

Hope some taxman somewhere is enjoying Chidera’s stories. What an absolute idiot posting about how much money you’ve personally brought in during the last few months. Honestly clueless
Wasn’t that drawing on FG’s Instagram in 2018? Why didn’t SF complain then? If you look back SF liked all the illustrations/text on FG’s insta. Why is it only ‘stealing’ now she’s published a book. SF could argue that it’s because FG is making money from them, but it looks like SF had apparently no issue with brand sponsorship & ads FG got pre-book based on the same text and drawings...

Another thing I’ve noticed is that (being a relatively new follower both women since early 2020)there are no illustrations on SF’s insta, but loads on FGs. SF has more pics of herself in her undies (no shade, she looks fab!) than of illustrations, which is odd to me when SF is saying that FG copied her.

Last edited:
It actually makes me a bit sick thinking of it. £27,060.
But thank god all those guilty WW donated via paypal so she could grab those top tier essentials.
It's now painfully embarrassing to me. She can't continue to bang on about being personally disenfranchised as a result of this and then boast about earning more than the average starting salary in the space of a month or so.

All those people who got guilted into sending her money on paypal thinking she can't afford therapy right now or whatever the hell and she's actually raking it in right now.

• Sick
Reactions: 13
I disagree that Florence didn’t credit Chidera appropriately, she did reference her numerous times throughout WDOYP so maybe you missed that. Or is it the fact it wasn’t done academically that you think is a problem?

I completely agree with you though that it’s normal to be inspired by others and reference them in nonfiction texts, Chidera seems clueless on this and didn’t seem to know she was supposed to credit her inspirations too instead of taking all the credit for herself for ideas which have been around a long time. It’s painful her followers don’t see what she’s doing which is deflecting from her own accusations of fraud, by pointing the finger at FG and accusing her of the very thing she seems to not be so innocent of herself.

Attached screenshot showing Fg’s first page of WDOYP where Chidera is credited. There are more examples and someone else listed one above.
Also, no, no one else has accused FG of fraud to my knowledge.

Attachments

• Heart
I disagree that Florence didn’t credit Chidera appropriately, she did reference her numerous times throughout WDOYP so maybe you missed that. Or is it the fact it wasn’t done academically that you think is a problem?

I completely agree with you though that it’s normal to be inspired by others and reference them in nonfiction texts, Chidera seems clueless on this and didn’t seem to know she was supposed to credit her inspirations too instead of taking all the credit for herself for ideas which have been around a long time. It’s painful her followers don’t see what she’s doing which is deflecting from her own accusations of fraud, by pointing the finger at FG and accusing her of the very thing she seems to not be so innocent of herself.

Attached screenshot showing Fg’s first page of WDOYP where Chidera is credited. There are more examples and someone else listed one above.
Yep, Florence lists Chidera 4 times in her book and once again in the acknowledgments

I feel even more bad reading these because it really sounds like FG looks up to her. You can even tell from the texts they had together and FG commenting on every one of SF posts

9AE9C13E-AF31-4FA4-868E-11B08DADF514.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: 10

My point was that academic referencing or just a more formal and specific referencing system than that used would have left no room for misinterpretation. I know SF is credited in the book, but it’s vague and doesn’t pertain to specific information in most cases. It’s not specific enough. If possible there needs to be quote marks around borrowed phrases or terminology with a direct reference to where or with whom it originated, and not just a general ‘bits of my book are inspired by SF’ style text. In a textbook or journal article, this would never happen. And for good reason.

My point was that academic referencing or just a more formal and specific referencing system than that used would have left no room for misinterpretation. I know SF is credited in the book, but it’s vague and doesn’t pertain to specific information in most cases. It’s not specific enough. If possible there needs to be quote marks around borrowed phrases or terminology with a direct reference to where or with whom it originated, and not just a general ‘bits of my book are inspired by SF’ style text. In a textbook or journal article, this would never happen. And for good reason.

Grrr...ran out of time with my edit. Here is my amended comment...
My point was that academic referencing or just a more formal and specific referencing system than that used would have left no room for misinterpretation. I know SF is credited in the book, but it’s vague and doesn’t pertain to specific information with dates and sources of origin, in most cases. It’s not specific enough. If possible there needs to be quote marks around borrowed phrases or terminology with a direct reference to where or with whom it originated, and not just a general ‘bits of my book are inspired by SF’ style text. In a textbook or journal article, this would never happen. And for good reason. Feminism is routed with history, politics and the theory is so important. If nobody credited anyone, how could we teach the origins and those who progressed the movement?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
@tarotbaby I see what you mean, you make a good point! I know it would have felt a bit clunky to have footnotes at the bottom of pages in this sort of book (which seems to pride itself on being fun, Instagram-esque, not too heavy etc) but she could have used a numbering system and referenced them all at the back. Good idea.

Can’t see the story I’m referring to now but did SF seriously try and make out like she coined the phrase « check your privilege » in her book WATTBA? And that Florence was plagiarising cus she said this in her book too?

Reactions: 7
I know I have said this before but FGs designs are a signature palette, very consistent, same font, they are all hand drawn by her and she's been doing this for years. I just don't understand how SF can think FGs designs are in ANY WAY similar to her stock images of cars, lines and badly drawn images.

This comparison actually made me laugh out loud....

I feel like her whole outlook on life is so limited to where she was brought up, the difference between a Peckham tower block to the plush mansions of West London where the majority of rich are white and the majority of poor are POC. She needs to pay a visit to a council estate in Stoke on Trent or Hull and see how rich the white people are, see how well the majority are doing in this country. Have a look at a food bank in Walsall or a homeless shelter in Glasgow? I acknowledge white privilege but that doesn't land every last white person with a massive income or an inherited estate they can freely hand over as "reparations". She's on another planet, lost in show business.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I completely get your point with this especially as her book has now been incorporated in to lots of syllabus’ but it is not common practice to reference in a popular book so I don’t think she should have criticised for not having done it. She was never writing for an academic audience and so just mentioning where she got her ideas from is pretty good/standard. I don’t think in WATTBA there were any mentions to where she got her ideas from though...

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.