Cheer - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So there’s only two on their division, TVCC won their division so got the title for that division. But there’s also an award for the overall highest score (Grand National champion) which went to Weber state who compete in a different division where they are the only competing team. Gabi has now moved to Weber.
I did some reading into it after id seen on Twitter Weber won then watched cheer season 2 and was very confused.
Thank you for the explanation!!
I am still kind of confused why the pressure on these kids then to win, I know its their only competition however...I was under the impression that this meant they won the entire thing!! I did however read that many years ago, their category had more teams that dropped down a level as they were unable to compete on the same level!
Additionally, can Gabby and other cheerleaders just keep enrolling in school so as to cheer forever or as long as their bodies allow or is there a limit to how many times you can professionally cheer?

Reactions: 3
Thank you for the explanation!!
I am still kind of confused why the pressure on these kids then to win, I know its their only competition however...I was under the impression that this meant they won the entire thing!! I did however read that many years ago, their category had more teams that dropped down a level as they were unable to compete on the same level!
Additionally, can Gabby and other cheerleaders just keep enrolling in school so as to cheer forever or as long as their bodies allow or is there a limit to how many times you can professionally cheer?
Same here- I can see it in Allstars because there’s plenty of teams in a single division but I don’t get college level- unless it’s because of scholarships or something.
I found out today (via Tik Tok) that you have a limit of how many times you can compete college NCA. I think it said up to 5 times you can compete but only 3 of those can be a junior college, so for the other years you’d need to go to a state college. Might be why Gabi went to werber. But they can still complete at worlds with Allstar cheer if they go to an international open team (you can be any age). But due to covid there aren’t many level 7 (the level someone like Gabi / ex Navarro would probably want to cheer at) international open teams.

Reactions: 2
I saw something on Instagram that said Morgan is back at Navarro, could this be possible or is she just visiting?

From what I’ve heard she’s back at CA Swooshcats
It was on twitter that she's back at Swoosh.

I found out today (via Tik Tok) that you have a limit of how many times you can compete college NCA. I think it said up to 5 times you can compete but only 3 of those can be a junior college, so for the other years you’d need to go to a state college. Might be why Gabi went to werber. But they can still complete at worlds with Allstar cheer if they go to an international open team (you can be any age). But due to covid there aren’t many level 7 (the level someone like Gabi / ex Navarro would probably want to cheer at) international open teams.
I think with Gabi as well she potentially just wants to try new things. She first competed at Worlds in 2012 so has had a good ten years of competing at the very top level of allstar cheer with some pretty big name teams (TGLC, Smoed, Wildcats, 00 to name a few) and although she is still doing a lot of travelling and PR opportunities going to a college probably gives her that structure in her life that she's never had since she was previously homeschooled. Weber is the best college team out there right now so an easy pick for Gabi who probably doesn't feel any affiliation to a particular school or even state just based on her lifestyle. She probably has a scholarship.

I think part of the attraction of college cheer for many will be that they are in a team with people their own age and therefore it does become more of a social thing than being on an international allstar team, where the youngest person can be 14 and the eldest could be in their 30s. I believe this is changing though with the minimum age for international open divisions moving to 16 - personally I'm a fan not just because of the safe guarding elements of having 14 year olds in with adults, but also because personally I really hate seeing teeny tiny flyers being thrown about by grown adults. Throw flyers your own age/size please and thank you :D

Reactions: 1
Someone made a thread of things Ladarius supposedly said in a live…. Interesting. I do get bad vibes from Monica but also don’t know if I fully believe him.

• Wow
I can’t decide on La’Darius - I imagine some of this is true and he did seem to cut off his chances of more ‘fame’ to say all this and quit the team. Although in doing so I guess he gained more notoriety in a different way.

But yeah I don’t think Monica had the athletes best interests at heart this season. That was glaringly obvious by the end of it.

Reactions: 9
Just finished and I’m team TVCC as well! It’s nice to see the underdogs come through, could have cried when Navarro flew to Daytona and they had to get on a coach for 16 hours 😭 I was getting concerned that Dee’s pride would have cost them their chance at winning though. How amazing was Angel 🤩

I think from the start that Navarro were just too distracted, with the PR and work opportunities, Monica on DWTS, and of course Covid, Jerry’s arrest and LaDarius’s falling out with Kailee.. they were never going to perform at their best. I felt sorry for Gillian though bless her. And the OGs who missed out on the 2020 competition.

Reactions: 6
Presented by Monica and Andy. Is that Angel and Dee in the poster??

Monica really grabbing that cash while she can. Explains why Morgan said she retired then was back training again, needs to get up to scratch if they’re all touring.

I’d love to see this though , wish they were coming here 😂

Attachments

Reactions: 5
Presented by Monica and Andy. Is that Angel and Dee in the poster??

Monica really grabbing that cash while she can. Explains why Morgan said she retired then was back training again, needs to get up to scratch if they’re all touring.

I’d love to see this though , wish they were coming here 😂
Monica is 100000% grabbing at that cash whilst she can! I don’t blame her tbh 😂 from rewatching the first season when I had covid it’s clear that Monica felt as though she ‘settled’ by being a coach at Navarro. She mentioned about a hundred times that she had a business degree and how she thought she was going to end up on wall street. I don’t think I’m alone as a woman with kids who feels as though they sacrificed a lot for their children in terms of their career. It’s clear that Monica feels as though she’s finally reached her potential snd is using that business degree and MBA to her full advantage. I do wonder how that effects their Daytona training! Deffo letting in fall by the wayside for fame and money.

Totally agree with the comments that Monica was distracted trying to cash in on the 15 minutes of fame as much as possible. You can't be 100 percent focused with so much going on. All the distractions. I'd love to know more about Monica's kids and their feeling on everything. I'm glad TVCC won they deserved a win.

I can’t decide on La’Darius - I imagine some of this is true and he did seem to cut off his chances of more ‘fame’ to say all this and quit the team. Although in doing so I guess he gained more notoriety in a different way.

But yeah I don’t think Monica had the athletes best interests at heart this season. That was glaringly obvious by the end of it.
Well, he can certainly be OTT and some of what he said in his live was more of an exaggeration than anything else but I do feel he had a right to be upset with her basically shutting him out at a time when he needed her the most and not feeling listened to. He also clearly already had abandonment issues from his mother getting arrested at such a young age and she just up and left for DWTS, I can see why he'd think the fame had gone to her head and didn't feel she cared about the team anymore. It really bothered me that she didn't pick up on this because in S1 it really felt like she knew them but it's obvious she doesn't. She went on about how she treated him like a son, had him over for dinners etc but when he truly needed her she wasn't there. It's a shame their relationship fell apart like it did as I think she was the only parental figure in his life.

The culmination of this and everything else must have really got to her because she looked so worn down by the end.

Reactions: 5
Whilst I do understand How Ladarius must have felt when Monica left and do not agree that she should have just shut him out completely I do also feel as though he can be pretty draining. Whilst Monica treats her team like her kids, they aren't her actual kids and so theoretically, she doesn't owe them anything. I'm sure during her time in LA she was continuing to contact her real family and by the sounds of it Kaillee, but was not communicating with him. It is completely unrealistic for La Darius to expect the same treatment to him as is received by her own children, it is clear he thought more of her than she thought of him I know that sounds brutal but its true. La Darius saw Monica as being in his life permanently and I think she more than likely saw him as being in her life for a brief 3/4 year period whilst he was at Navarro then just being a former student after that. I have mentioned that I have a very toxic relationship with my own parents and my abandonment issues are very prominent. I form strong attachment to parental figures which are way more one sided on my part and its really crushing to know that you care more than they do, unfortunately this is part of life and something you have to learn to deal with, and in my opinion acting out and projecting your own trauma is not the right way

• Heart
Reactions: 9
LaDarius reminds me a bit of a friend of mine who also experienced a really tumultuous childhood. He tends to form bonds very quickly and also rejects people very quickly and dramatically. If you aren't responsive in even the slightest way he lashes out. It's basically the result of prolonged trauma and I have a lot of sympathy with LaDarius but also Monica because it's difficult to deal with.

I liked S2. I thought they dealt with the issues created by S1 well, acknowledging the effect the documentary had on the team. The Jerry episode was hard watching, but well done.

I was routing for Trinity by the end. All crowded together in their cheaper hotel! They seemed to have the better routine, even ignoring the mistakes.

I love that Kris has found a chosen family who totally loves him.

I’m not here to diagnose someone I’ve seen on a tv show. However, as someone who has it myself, I would be very surprised if LaDarius doesn’t have BPD

Reactions: 2
She went on about how she treated him like a son, had him over for dinners etc but when he truly needed her she wasn't there. It's a shame their relationship fell apart like it did as I think she was the only parental figure in his life.
I agree. I really like LaDarius (though I know he's not perfect) and it was obvious that he was lashing out because he felt he left when she should have been there. I hope he goes on to do everything he wants in life, I root for him so hard I really do.

I agree with @Just having a nose. I lost my dad when I was a teenager and I've experienced that attachment for a father figure once or twice. I'm glad Monica did something for herself, she deserved it.

I wasn't too keen on TVCC. I did like Khris though. I think I get a bit turned off by all the motivational talk/shouting and how OTT it is. I know it's cheerleading but it grated on me so much by the last episode that I was fast forwarding all through it. Jada was the absolute worst.

This season was literally watching TVCC say "duck" repeatedly and seem really bitter.
Yeah, this is the only impression they left on me too.

Kris was a star to me I just feel like he was such a good guy.

Reactions: 4
Finally finished the second series. I’ve been reading this thread so the end came as no surprise but I was still rooting for TVCC to win 😂

Feel awful for Gill though 😢

Oh and I don’t understand the need for the virtual award ceremony when they’ve been mingling in those crowds when competing. Feel TVCC were robbed of that too 😅