Chateau Diaries #89 Maybe it was pleasurable for him to put the napkin into the napkin ring

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My first trip to Florida (also the Tampa Bay area) was coincidently to the Bay Area Renaissance Festival! It was held on a park grounds and all the fake Euro village set pieces were temporary. There was no castle! It was mostly tents as I recall. Weird to have tropical plants in a supposed Euro 1500s village. No alligators, though!
I used to host for a dating site and we had wonderful picnics at different parks. At one, which was next to a pond, they had a sign that read "Please do not molest our alligators"... :LOL:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Sadly, we don't have Publix up here...I was curious about the Aldi one as my brother in law is a cheese fiend. Good to know for next year that it's not all that.(y)😊
Whilst the Aldi one doesn't have the greatest cheese, the concept is still charming, and I'm sure he'd still be touched by the gesture!

Reactions: 8
I thought I remembered something about them being interested in a chateau. Just crazy!
The Château he was looking at was right out of bros of decay. Nature had taken over. the ceiling I do believe and the roof had caved in. It looked like it was probably beautiful in its hey day. He dodged a bullet as it it would have been a great folly. Way beyond a money pit. Glad he saw the light!

Reactions: 19
They will probably advertise on the Workaway site to get free labor. Just like SJ does/did.
I thought the very same thing! It kind of goes against what Tatty's "vision" is ( don't think she wants "others" in the Chateau), but she'll find it necessary.

Reactions: 16
@T Rex , people around here buy the Aldi ones up then list them on Ebay for triple the price..it's absurd! I went to an Aldi a few weeks ago that still had some so at least I know which one to go to if I get it for him next year. This years xmas gifts went home with him this weekend after his turkey day visit. I like to plan ahead...lol.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I clicked thru to the listing (I watched on Youtube) and it says its under offer!
Did you read it has two houses and the orangery rented…it already has an INCOME ! That and a team of Work-away Volunteers indentured as peasants, and they say there is massive tax advantages…
Mondoubleau Medieval Madness

The outbuildings include:
- An annex house, known as the Basse-Cour with 140m² of living space which is made up of: Living room with open plan kitchen, sitting room, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 shower room.
The house was renovated in 2010 and has mains drainage and electric heating
This property is currently rented out for 450€/month.

- Another house which has been renovated in 2015/2016 and comprises: living room, kitchen, shower room and 2 bedrooms.
This property also has mains drainage, electric heating and is currently rented out at 330€/month.

- The orangery of 140m² which has a kitchen, sitting room, 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 shower room.
The orangery was completely redone in 2014.
Individual sanitation, heating with wood pellet boiler
Currently rented as a second home for 690€/month.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Oh how fun! That must have been a blast!
TBH, Penn and Teller were just another Ren Fest act, back then when I met them. It wasn't until years later when I saw them on a TV show I was like, "OMG! I know them!"

• Haha
I wa
I have a CHEESE Advent Calendar! It is epic!!! ;)
I want them to get it just so SJ and her Child bride will get to walk thru a WARM, fairly clean and nicely decorated chateau trying to act happy...knowing they have to go back to their cold pile of rocks and broken dreams...I mean, radiators!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
does this guy ever take that beanie off?
hey phillie...wearing that beanie all the time is just going to make you bald...faster. the scalp needs to breathe...otherwise circulation is cut off and the hair continues to die off...quicker.
...besides, that constant hat wearing will rub off whatever hair he has left...do some research phillie...you are doing it to yourself...🧐

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I may have misunderstood Selmar but I believe he lost everything. My impression is that he more than likely had debt that he had to satisfy by selling everything he had. As discussed I think it was Le Comte de Monte Cristo said they do not get big settlements for car accidents like the US.
I agree with you that I don’t believe he is a big consumer but I believe he has had his head filled with fantasy. He was probably lonely and & ripe for the picking.
Absolutely

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Well that’s great that they have income built into the purchase however if the family who owned it for 200 years found it too much to keep up with maintenance costs then I don’t see how those two can manage. Very rare for a fledgling business starting with no infrastructure will even break even the first year. Especially in these times of uncertainty.

Reactions: 23
Did you read it has two houses and the orangery rented…it already has an INCOME ! That and a team of Work-away Volunteers indentured as peasants, and they say there is massive tax advantages…
Mondoubleau Medieval Madness

The outbuildings include:
- An annex house, known as the Basse-Cour with 140m² of living space which is made up of: Living room with open plan kitchen, sitting room, 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 shower room.
The house was renovated in 2010 and has mains drainage and electric heating
This property is currently rented out for 450€/month.

- Another house which has been renovated in 2015/2016 and comprises: living room, kitchen, shower room and 2 bedrooms.
This property also has mains drainage, electric heating and is currently rented out at 330€/month.

- The orangery of 140m² which has a kitchen, sitting room, 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and 1 shower room.
The orangery was completely redone in 2014.
Individual sanitation, heating with wood pellet boiler
Currently rented as a second home for 690€/month.
Wow! You are a super-sleuth @StudioCityXtra! Where did you even find this? Indeed, that changes it a bit- Sillymar and Tatty are set! (If they get their Kickstarter $.)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
TBH, Penn and Teller were just another Ren Fest act, back then when I met them. It wasn't until years later when I saw them on a TV show I was like, "OMG! I know them!"
That's even better! You knew them before they got famous.

Reactions: 7
No, I had the Aldi ones in the past- they were "okay" (I was pretty enamored by the idea, though- but the cheese was "meh."). I went big and got the one from Publix this year. Much better selection! I am looking forward to Wednesday to open the first door!
I miss Publix!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I want them to get it just so SJ and her Child bride will get to walk thru a WARM, fairly clean and nicely decorated chateau trying to act happy...knowing they have to go back to their cold pile of rocks and broken dreams...I mean, radiators!!
New thread 🧵nomination:
Go Back to their Cold Pile of Rocks and Broken Dreams...I Mean, Radiators!! ~ Arfarf

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Thanks, @Beau Monde! It's a lovely Chateau- however, just maintaining the grounds is going to be a full-time job! Who is going to do that whilst dealing with the daily issues that come up in owning such a large property (let alone keeping it clean!) If they do actually get enough Kickstarter funds to buy the place, I think they are in for a rude awakening when realize what the actual upkeep and costs (heating, maintenance, taxes, electric, water.)
I find it so bizarre that they are clueless about the actual upkeep and costs.... Selmar has been at Chateau Lalande since March 2020. He has had a front seat to all the things that can happen and the constant maintenance that needs to happen. Maybe they think since their chateau is in better shape and has been better maintained ( I mean look who he has as a comparison🤣), that they won't be faced with the same issues and so costs will be feasible.

Reactions: 14
Wow! You are a super-sleuth @StudioCityXtra! Where did you even find this? Indeed, that changes it a bit- Sillymar and Tatty are set! (If they get their Kickstarter $.)
The income off of the rentals might cover the heating costs in the chateau if they're lucky. On the begging page it says they want to use the outbuildings for their faire...not sure if there are other ones or if they mean the ones that are drawing an income:

"For the first year there will be a little village area with a pub and other smaller shops and market stands. For this stage, we will make use of existing period outbuildings on the property. For future festivals, we hope to create other 'regions' and specialty areas in the 60+ acres of the château grounds."

They would need a permit, a license & training in order to be able to sell liquor for money in France. They will need staff that won't abscond with their dosh. They have no freaking idea what they're doing.

• Wow
Reactions: 25
I find it so bizarre that they are clueless about the actual upkeep and costs.... Selmar has been at Chateau Lalande since March 2020. He has had a front seat to all the things that can happen and the constant maintenance that needs to happen. Maybe they think since their chateau is in better shape and has been better maintained ( I mean look who he has as a comparison🤣), that they won't be faced with the same issues and so costs will be feasible.
@StudioCityXtra did point out that a few of their outbuildings are currently being rented out, so perhaps they factored that into their plan to offset some costs. But, I do agree- I don't think they fully get the "big picture" and are clueless as they worship all that is Fanny as to the reality of owning such a large estate. (Even when she was in the red- pre-YouTube, Mini Apron, Potts-thetic and Headless Nick were helping to front the living costs.)

The income off of the rentals might cover the heating costs in the chateau if they're lucky. On the begging page it says they want to use the outbuildings for their faire...not sure if there are other ones or if they mean the ones that are drawing an income:

"For the first year there will be a little village area with a pub and other smaller shops and market stands. For this stage, we will make use of existing period outbuildings on the property. For future festivals, we hope to create other 'regions' and specialty areas in the 60+ acres of the château grounds."

They would need a permit, a license & training in order to be able to sell liquor for money in France. They will need staff that won't abscond with their dosh. They have no freaking idea what they're doing.
LOL @Ann G. ! We were typing at the same time!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.