Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lots of bus drivers don't seem to want to faff on with change, especially people paying with notes. I can understand them not wanting to carry cash.
But what would they for children getting the bus? Youngsters pay cash.
My children have been using apple pay on their phones for years. Schools don't accept cash for food, parents top up the online payment. Bus drivers have been mugged for their cash so I don't blame them for not using it.

Reactions: 1
Still use cash although never see anyone else using it. Found a few of those special celebration coins after checking through it all :giggle:
It's handy having cash when the internet crashes in shops. I'll never use card only until I'm forced.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My children have been using apple pay on their phones for years. Schools don't accept cash for food, parents top up the online payment. Bus drivers have been mugged for their cash so I don't blame them for not using it.
This sounds like another excuse that companies and businesses use, to prevent people from paying with cash,

Reactions: 3
Still use cash although never see anyone else using it. Found a few of those special celebration coins after checking through it all :giggle:
It's handy having cash when the internet crashes in shops. I'll never use card only until I'm forced.
I was using the self checkout in M&S (I usually use the actual checkouts but none were open) Only 2 were cash/card all the others were card only and literally everyone in the queue was using cash. The poor staff member didn't know what to do, she was asking everyone joining the queue if they were using card and it was nope, nope, nope, I told her so much for no one using cash!!! This was in South London, not the boonies

Reactions: 8
This sounds like another excuse that companies and businesses use, to prevent people from paying with cash,
My children left school many years ago, they wouldn't allow cash on site as kids were losing it or having it taken. They use a thumb print which is linked to their online account. Easier for them and I didn't have to go to a cash machine. You keep using cash if you want but I prefer bank transfers and using my card.

Lots of bus drivers don't seem to want to faff on with change, especially people paying with notes. I can understand them not wanting to carry cash.
But what would they for children getting the bus? Youngsters pay cash.
They should make it like a lot of other European countries where you have to pay in exact change if you want to use it for the bus if they don't want to be faffing with change, I was in Nottingham recently and that's how it was there too

Went to London yesterday to do a few touristy things and NO ONE wants your cash! Seriously, when you ask if somewhere takes cash they look at you with actual disgust! Some reluctantly do, but others flat out refuse.
The way cash has been phased out these last few years is bloody scary. Once it's gone there's no going back 😕

• Sad
Went to London yesterday to do a few touristy things and NO ONE wants your cash! Seriously, when you ask if somewhere takes cash they look at you with actual disgust! Some reluctantly do, but others flat out refuse.
The way cash has been phased out these last few years is bloody scary. Once it's gone there's no going back 😕
This is the reason why those of us who do not want to live in a cashless society, must speak out. I can't believe how people are just letting this happen.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Funnily enough I am always panicked about having the right change because this Nottingham story has haunted me for over 10 years.
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-18345586.amp
Omg. I hadn't heard this story but I hVe heard of similar in London when I was a teenager when people didn't have money onbtheir oyster. I've been let on as an adult with no money on mine to go to work in the morning I cannot fathom why bus drivers would let a woman at night be in a dangerous situation

Reactions: 4
The only time I use cash is when I'm buying my meal from the local Chinese Take Away which is cash only.
I do carry cash on me at all times, mainly because of the risk of the credit card terminals going down at a
petrol garage. This is very rare but I will always carry cash as a backup.

Reactions: 2
I remember once at a petrol station I filled my car on a Sunday with petrol but Barclays systems had just gone down so my debit and credit card would not work nor could I use the cashpoint, I had to call my mum to drive to the petrol station with cash, as once you've put petrol in your car you can't take it out again it's not like leaving your shopping at the checkout. On the Monday I took £200 out of my current account and put it in my building society account that I could have used the card in the cash machine if there had been enough money in the account. This was about 15 years ago.

On holiday in Cornwall, about 10 years ago, several of the major banks had a problem with their systems and no card payments or cash withdrawals could me made for about 4 days, luckily we weren't affected, but people were packing up and leaving half way through holidays they had paid for as they had run out of cash and couldn't use their cards to purchase food or get cash out to purchase food so were returning home as they had food in their cupboards and freezers!

More recently we went back to the same site (as we do every year) it was 2021, the shop was taking both cash and card payments but the onsite food and bar were not, generally not a problem, but their card machine was down, the car was packed, we were there with my Dad on father's Day so we booked for a Sunday lunch before leaving. We go to pay and they are like can you come back and pay tomorrow as the card machine is down and we are not taking cash at the card machine will not be replaced untill tomorrow come back and pay tomorrow, it took,a long conversation to get them to understand we would be 190 miles away and back at work tomorrow so could not be back, begrudgingly they eventually took cash.

2022 we were at the same site and had a problem with the car, as we are in the shadow of a hill, mobile and internet is patchy, you can usually get mobile reception on the beach at low tide, but we needed the rac and it was high tide. Reception let us use one of their land lines to call but we needed to pay for new spark plugs and had to pay cash as the rac man did not have any reception for card payments. I always take £200 in cash plus £20 in parking change on holiday just in case. Many do not -we are often 15 miles plus to the nearest cash point!

One of the branches I cover occasionally is covered by a parking app or coin payments but I get no internet reception so have to pay cash, I won't pay in advance as the carpark,is cheap and popular if I get stuck in traffic and am late I won't get a space and will pay twice as much in the multistorey just as far away in the other direction.

I don't usually use cash but always carry it just in case .. If we ever go completely cashless we need to vastly improve the infrastructure to make it work and reliable.

• Heart
@Dragon100 Great that you recognise the risks inherent in going fully cashless but if you don't use cash regularly then that time will come far quicker so I would say to everyone just make the odd purchase in cash on a regular basis. I probably use cash 2 or 3 times a week, it might be a coffee in Costa or a top up shop in M&S (because that is my treat spend so it keeps a lid on what I spend in there) but I do make sure I spend atleast £100 a month cash.

ETA
I will not use businesses that only take 1 form of payment be it cash only or card only. Taking 1 form of payment is designed to convenience the owner of the business not me so duck them, I'm the customer.

Reactions: 7
Our local Wagamamas decided it wasn't taking cash anymore last year (not sure if this was a chain wide decision or not).

Their wifi went down so they couldn't take card and asked us to pay using the QR code on their menu. I had no signal to use the QR code and asked to pay in cash. They repeatedly asked me to join the free WiFi for the shopping centre and then use the QR code. This is a WiFi that tells you when you join it's not secure. We had a bit of a Mexican stand off and eventually they took cash. It's so stupid for a restaurant not to.

I find cash stuffing really good for reining in my spending so I do use a good amount of cash. I try to use cash my default and only use card if its not taken.

We absolutely are sleep walking into a cashless society which they will plough on with despite not having the infrastructure for it.

Reactions: 10
Having big problems with local tesco express.
Not just with 1 card happened 2 different ones from different banks.
Contact less doesn't work
Then says can't read chip so had ru outside to cash machine whilst big queue formed this has happened to me twice in last 3months.
Their chip and pins are old.
They don't do cash back but machine does give fivers.

Some areas are cash machine desserts or ones they do have charge.
So I think a cash float every month is handy.

Morrisions self serve tolls has ones that take cash.
I love it as can used all my random change.

Buses still alow cash here although sometimes they don't have change.
My teenagers hate cash so transfer pocket money to account.
My 5 year old loves it.

2 local pubs are cash only.
Few shops are too.
---
Our local Wagamamas decided it wasn't taking cash anymore last year (not sure if this was a chain wide decision or not).

Their wifi went down so they couldn't take card and asked us to pay using the QR code on their menu. I had no signal to use the QR code and asked to pay in cash. They repeatedly asked me to join the free WiFi for the shopping centre and then use the QR code. This is a WiFi that tells you when you join it's not secure. We had a bit of a Mexican stand off and eventually they took cash. It's so stupid for a restaurant not to.

I find cash stuffing really good for reining in my spending so I do use a good amount of cash. I try to use cash my default and only use card if its not taken.

We absolutely are sleep walking into a cashless society which they will plough on with despite not having the infrastructure for it.
That reminds me las iguanas only takes card.

Reactions: 3
Where I live at the moment all the shops ( there aren't many to be fair) have joined together and put notices in the window that while they happily accept all forms of payment they would prefer and be grateful if people paid in cash. They all have the petition to sign on their counter.
I was in a big city Premier inn restaurant for breakfast last week and the woman was stood at the door turning everyone away as their machines were down and they couldn't take payments. It was 9.99 each so my husband gave her a £20 note and said keep the change. She was utterly flustered and nearly turned us away but the manager came and said " great, welcome,enjoy".
Wtf is wrong with people sleepwalking into cashless. Having lived in an area with regular power cuts I can tell you cash is king. Businesses and customers are fooked without power. I recently was at a garage where the shop was full of customers unable to pay for their fuel as the card payment machine wasn't working. They couldn't leave, it looked very inconvenient for everyone involved.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I very much doubt cash is going anywhere. Technology has moved on and we've adapted to use it. I remember my mum paying all her bills with a cheque or cash. We have other more convenient ways of paying for our shopping and bills and we're using them. The only time I have to withdraw cash is for my dog groomer, I choose to use her and I'm happy to pay her how she likes.

I very much doubt cash is going anywhere. Technology has moved on and we've adapted to use it. I remember my mum paying all her bills with a cheque or cash. We have other more convenient ways of paying for our shopping and bills and we're using them. The only time I have to withdraw cash is for my dog groomer, I choose to use her and I'm happy to pay her how she likes.
I don't think the state and banks will stop cash, it will be all the the places it's used. ATM we can can go for another option with purchases but for how long? The walls are closing in already in some regions from the comments here.

• Sad
This is a bit off topic but Boots seem determined to push self service and there are only ever 2 or 3 that take cash. It's kind of infuriating especially as most coupons can't be used on self service. In most stores the staff are incredibly rude if you point out you need to use a manned till. I only shop there because of the advantage points now.

• Sad