Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sorry to read about your brother. Banks aren't charities though. They still have to pay business rates, rent, wages and utilities bills. The footfall in our town centre is non existent, more and more is being done online. I speak to a lot of retired people for my job role and they are better online than I am. Times change and we have to keep up. I'm sure you can pay money into bank accounts via a local postoffice, our village post office offers the service.
And how many places are losing their Post Offices as well. My town has lost its Post office. And there was always a queue for it when it was open.

Banks aren't charities, but they are regulated by govt we have a right to demand govt make sure cash doesn't go out of use.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I was going to mention about the closure of many post offices aswell leaving many without any services except for a weekly van.
Like most things it all boils down to some people care about how things affect other people and some don't as long as they aren't affected /they are happy with the changes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I paid cash today in a cafe and then when we were sitting the woman came up and said my card payment hadn't gone through.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I've just read a horrifying article about 3 Iceland employees, being injected with HIV infected needles, they now have the virus. Apparantly the perpetrators were shoplifters.
As horrifying as this is, I can't help feeling that this is another tactic to get people to shop on line. Because the end result will be shops having to close permanently, because of the lawlessness in our streets.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
I've just read a horrifying article about 3 Iceland employees, being injected with HIV infected needles, they now have the virus. Apparantly the perpetrators were shoplifters.
As horrifying as this is, I can't help feeling that this is another tactic to get people to shop on line. Because the end result will be shops having to close permanently, because of the lawlessness in our streets.
So a few unhinged shoplifters are now trying to close all shops? Not much In it for them if shops close. Jesus christ I've read some rubbish but this is up there.

Reactions: 5
I've noticed a lot of small businesses have signs up asking to pay in cash due to the charge on small amounts with cards. Looks like it may be back.

Reactions: 4
I've noticed a lot of small businesses have signs up asking to pay in cash due to the charge on small amounts with cards. Looks like it may be back.
Small businesses will always prefer cash, so there is less paper trail, especially if their sales aren't recorded too professionally and electronically. Because cash sales means some can "accidentally" not be declared for revenue/profit/tax purposes, like many taxi drivers have been doing for decades and other cash in hand jobs.

Small businesses will always prefer cash, so there is less paper trail, especially if their sales aren't recorded too professionally and electronically. Because cash sales means some can "accidentally" not be declared for revenue/profit/tax purposes, like many taxi drivers have been doing for decades and other cash in hand jobs.
A small business can spend the cash at other businesses without it loosing any value eg the wholesalers which is why they prefer it. Otherwise you pay to take the payment and then pay for banking services once its in your business account. As with all these things it's the small businesses that loose out in a cashless society.

Reactions: 5
A small business can spend the cash at other businesses without it loosing any value eg the wholesalers which is why they prefer it. Otherwise you pay to take the payment and then pay for banking services once its in your business account. As with all these things it's the small businesses that loose out in a cashless society.
Precisely. I used to pay as much as possible in cash. All my food deliveries and payroll were settled with cash (not cash in hand)

Reactions: 1
So what you are suggesting, is that small businesses are dishonest.

Reactions: 3
I have and I obviously support this, a few small businesses near me ask how I wNt to pay and seem visibly relived when it's cash (they have the card option still but ..)

I mean wh
[/QUOTE

We have a millionaire prime minister who literally doesn't pay uk tax. I think that is what we need to be angry about
---
As opposed to huge corporations (and prime minister) not paying taxes?

I mean wh

---

As opposed to huge corporations (and prime minister) not paying taxes?
I didn't specifically criticise the small businesses who do such things, accidentally in "" as in accidentally on purpose. Like you say, big business does it, PM does it, rich bastards do it. Everyone who wants to fiddle the system in some way will do it. Whether it is someone fraudulently claiming benefits or a corporation avoiding billions in tax.

This was just a point on small businesses having easy opportunities to fiddle when doing cash in hand dealings.

I didn't specifically criticise the small businesses who do such things, accidentally in "" as in accidentally on purpose. Like you say, big business does it, PM does it, rich bastards do it. Everyone who wants to fiddle the system in some way will do it. Whether it is someone fraudulently claiming benefits or a corporation avoiding billions in tax.

This was just a point on small businesses having easy opportunities to fiddle when doing cash in hand dealings.
It's actually not that easy. HMRC have a rough idea of the day to day running expenses of most types of business. Small businesses can take a bit of cash out but not hordes without drawing the attention of HMRC which is something no business wants because once they get their claws into you then most of your time is spent dealing with them rather than running the business.
Weirdly they never seem to go after the nail bars and Turkish barbers.

I know I've mentioned on here before but I won't use businesses that are cash only or card only.

Bellend with a camera attempts to pay for petrol with a £50 special edition collectable coin which isn’t normal circulating currency and threatens to drive off without paying if the staff don’t accept it.

Basically just making retail workers lives difficult to try and prove some point about a cashless society, when in reality, the staff are just rightfully concerned that it might be fake! Cringe.

Reactions: 4
I pay on card for most purchases and have done since before Covid as I don't like carrying a lot of loose change and I don't have to keep making trips to the ATM. Around Xmas last year I tried to withdraw some money for a relative to put in their card but the ATM wouldn't return my card and the convenience shop owners had to open up the machine to get my card back.

Also, a few years ago I had to pay by cash for bus fares but since Covid, buses in my area allow people to pay with card which personally I do find more convenient and it means I don't have to keep going to the ATM for cash.

There's a couple of convenience stores near where I work which have a £3 minimum spend on card so someone wanting to buy one bar of chocolate would probably prefer paying with cash so not all businesses are that card friendly.

Last edited: