Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd be changing my bank account. Why give them the custom? I'm with nationwide and I've never had an issue with the app.
Thankfully I do already have more then more account elsewhere, but kept the Halifax ones open as they were my oldest accounts.
---
Prediction from an expert :

Reactions: 4
I paid with cash for everything today. Some people looked surprised but I had a purse full of change so I could give the right money .

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think people are being naive if they don't see that in some places its becoming harder and harder to use cash. Yes many people are happy with the convenience of tapping cards/phones so don't see it as a problem but that's when it's all working perfectly .
I don't see how mocking the minds of public figures adds to the argument, but hey that is how some people roll.
"According to Libertarian Party president Richard Koller, ‘getting rid of cash not only touches on issues of transparency, simplicity or security, but also carries a huge danger of totalitarian surveillance’. He believes Switzerland should be taking the lead within Europe, as securing agreement in the European Union would be almost impossible amongst all 27 member states."
"But while around 90 per cent of governments worldwide, including in the UK, are pressing ahead with plans for the introduction of Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs), not everyone is entirely clear about the implications, or has even heard of them."
"A CBDC is defined as a currency issued and backed by a country’s central bank, designed to function like traditional currencies but in digital form. Officially they are presented as a way to increase financial inclusion, reduce transaction costs and provide greater security and transparency in payments. But what about the potential risks, such as cyber insecurity, monetary policy implications, and the negative impact on the banking sector? The fact is that governments have far more to gain from introducing CBDCs than consumers have from using them. "
"To date, the anecdotal evidence has been alarming. The Nigerian government went ahead with roll-out, and riots broke out. This is unsurprising since an estimated 55 per cent of Nigerians rely on physical cash. Yet withdrawal limits and debit card restrictions were imposed, while capital controls made taking money out of the country almost impossible. The result was a violent scramble to exchange old notes before they were declared worthless."

"Any perceived benefits need to be weighed against the overwhelming risks:

Cyber security: hacking, fraud and other cyber crimes would necessitate much stronger security systems.
· Privacy: transaction data and personal information would be kept in centralised databases, leading to a conflict between user privacy and system integrity.

· Disintermediation: the ‘middleman’ ie commercial banks would be bypassed, leading to disruption of the traditional banking system and financial stability.

· Monetary policy: central banks would need to balance the impact of CBDCs on the money supply and interest rates.

· The technical challenge: the requirement for technical expertise, infrastructure and implementation presents huge practical challenges."

Reactions: 8
The banks have been working to remove cheques and cash for some years - I used to run projects in the U.K. for one of the main clearing banks 20 years ago. Not just for nefarious reasons- for practical reasons like cash is hellish difficult to manage and control and cheques are notoriously open to cock up( or they were when the actual document was bundled up at the end of each day and sent to a massive pit of complexity in the centre of the county).
I have no problem using cards and cash and whatever suits the situation. I have grave reservations about the requirements and ability to be ( and remain) banked for everyone. In my opinion it should not mean that someone who has outspoken views can be forced out of society at the whim of whoever is shouting loudest. That is not the society that appeals to me

• Heart
Wouldn't try it with petrol but the other ideas are good:

View attachment 2355789
The parking machine was not working, there is now only one, I took pictures emailed the company stating I was unable to buy a ticket. They suggested I downloaded an app to pay for parking, I said I was unable to do that, and had cash. I haven’t heard any more

So what are we in the UK waiting for?
Time for some action, before its too late.
Unfortunately as my dad always says the only thing that would get the uk population into mass action would be the removal of Coronation Street.🙃

We queued up for petrol yesterday only for her to announce over the tannoy that they were shutting the forecourt as the card machines weren't working and they were overwhelmed with people in the shop not being able to pay! Doesn't sound like progress to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Unfortunately as my dad always says the only thing that would get the uk population into mass action would be the removal of Coronation Street.🙃

We queued up for petrol yesterday only for her to announce over the tannoy that they were shutting the forecourt as the card machines weren't working and they were overwhelmed with people in the shop not being able to pay! Doesn't sound like progress to me.
The irony is, that Coronation Street isn't even worth watching anymore. What does that tell us about the UK as a nation!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Very low perhaps but what if Putin or some other lunatic wanted to completely disable the west? Unlikely, but not impossible.
I think if we were in a position where Putin (or some other lunatic as you put it) had completely disabled the west, then shops probably wouldn't even be operating at all - even with cash.

That sounds like a collapse of society and I think in that scenario people would be taking what they needed from whatever shops they could find. They wouldn't be handing over cash...

But it's all fearmongering, as that won't be happening. I understand change is feared by many, but it's a natural part of the progression of humanity. It's what we do. Many of our great grandparents would have no doubt baulked at the idea of us using computers and the internet for communication, yet every single one of us on Tattle has the internet in some form.

Cash will be here for a good while yet. As someone pointed out earlier, cheques are still around and used by plenty of people. If they can't get rid of cheques (and banks would prefer that), what makes anyone think they can wipe cash out in a short space of time? It's not happening. Some people like to fearmonger about it; either because they genuinely believe it, or because they like to sow a bit of discord. It's best ignored.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

The worry on here and peoples experiences is not that cash is disappearing but that it is becoming harder and harder to use and even access in many places. And the very real problems surrounding the alternatives. Dismissing peoples real life experiences as fearmongering is naive in the extreme.
The town my parents live in full of elderly folk has gone from 5 banks to no banks. Similar story in many rural towns. My brother was banned from 3 out of the 4 shops still open during lockdowns for wanting to use cash in one and getting upset when he couldn't. He is autistic and they used some sort of stopwatch scheme to ban him . He was isolated from family and can't shop online.True and worrying to me story.

• Heart
  • Sad

The worry on here and peoples experiences is not that cash is disappearing but that it is becoming harder and harder to use and even access in many places. And the very real problems surrounding the alternatives. Dismissing peoples real life experiences as fearmongering is naive in the extreme.
The town my parents live in full of elderly folk has gone from 5 banks to no banks. Similar story in many rural towns. My brother was banned from 3 out of the 4 shops still open during lockdowns for wanting to use cash in one and getting upset when he couldn't. He is autistic and they used some sort of stopwatch scheme to ban him . He was isolated from family and can't shop online.True and worrying to me story.
I'm sorry to read about your brother. Banks aren't charities though. They still have to pay business rates, rent, wages and utilities bills. The footfall in our town centre is non existent, more and more is being done online. I speak to a lot of retired people for my job role and they are better online than I am. Times change and we have to keep up. I'm sure you can pay money into bank accounts via a local postoffice, our village post office offers the service.

Even worse in Australia than here.

The big 4 banks aren't limiting withdrawals just yet. I just checked and I can withdraw up to $1,000 per day from an ATM per day and I use one of the big 4. One bank, Commonwealth, is trialling cashless in Sydney. There are 95 banks and over 40 building societies in Australia.
Honestly not being rude but did you watch this before you posted?

Reactions: 5
I think the closure of local bank branches and the cashless society are two different things. In my closest town, a bank branch has recently closed - which didn't please many people and I can understand why. But their cash machine has remained and it's one of four in the main high street alone.

As others have said, you can also withdraw cash from the Post Office, so that would be a fifth option. I see plenty of people at most of the cashpoints and when I've had to get cash out it's very rare I haven't had to queue.

Obviously we'll all have different experiences, but I just think we're so far off cash ever being seen as redundant. It will likely continue to decline, but I think that decline will slow, given cards can't really be any more widespread than they are now (ie almost every adult has one).

That tweet above is the classic scaremongering I was talking about previously with its dark warning of "it's happening" - despite the fact someone who lives in that country is directly contradicting the tweet's content with their experience (the thing we're told not to discount).

• Heart