Carrie Hope Fletcher #84 Took longer to choose her carpet than she did her husband

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry but audiobooks aren’t reading.
Audiobooks count as consuming literature. For some people, it’s the only way they can read, and it 100% counts. Leave it out with the reading snobbery. That’s an incredibly Carrie-esque take.

• Heart
Reactions: 115
Audiobooks count as consuming literature. For some people, it’s the only way they can read, and it 100% counts. Leave it out with the reading snobbery. That’s an incredibly Carrie-esque take.
100% agree - audiobooks are most definitely reading, and saying they aren't is a form of ableism. Don't be like Carrie.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
100% agree - audiobooks are most definitely reading, and saying they aren't is a form of ableism. Don't be like Carrie.
The point is saying "I read 100 books while on maternity leave caring for a newborn"... you assume people mean reading actual books and you think HOW is that possible,where did they find the time?!

Then they clarify by "reading" they meant listening to an audiobook and it's clear how they managed it with a newborn!

So you mean you listened to a hundred podcasts?! Oh ok, yeah now I get home you "read" so much on no sleep while caring for a baby.

It's not about which is "better" it's framing it as a claim you "read books on maternity leave". Reading is active, listening is passive.

Reactions: 37
Screenshot_2023-12-08-07-06-49-39_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg
call me a knitting snobb or whatever but did Carrie even try to learn how to knit "traditionally" ? Was the hideous scarf knitted or crocheted? Is this just basic , lazy Carrie taking the easier way again?

Reactions: 17
A TikTok about panto came up and someone said they thought Carrie was a YouTuber and asked why she was in panto and someone said she’s a sideways nepo baby and her minions are in the comments saying she’s not a nepo baby or privileged cause she went to theatre school like no she didn’t 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Anyone off to Crawley to see her tonight? I believe the panto opens today.

Get ready for the endless bows reposts

Reactions: 6
Yes audiobooks count as reading. I will die on this hill but they do. I got so angry when I saw that they don't count towards a goal but they do, if you read 1 book and 23 audiobooks you have read 24 books that year. I think I might end up with more audiobooks read than actual books/ebooks because I listen to them while working or walking the dog. I don't want to say how many books I read this year because I feel very fortunate that I've been able to read this many, without audiobooks I wouldn't be anywhere near this number.

• Heart
View attachment 2616956 call me a knitting snobb or whatever but did Carrie even try to learn how to knit "traditionally" ? Was the hideous scarf knitted or crocheted? Is this just basic , lazy Carrie taking the easier way again?
And it will be gathering dust in a few weeks like her D&D box, her F1 merch, etc etc. She’s so wasteful

Reactions: 12
Sorry, as a teacher I cannot just let this one go either. Listening to audiobooks is not the same as reading. But yes they definitely count as "consuming literature".
I too would love to be able to read more, but listening to audiobooks and podcasts is mostly all I can manage with a toddler and full time job. It's something you can do when doing chores, feeding the baby,...
Reading a book is still different because it's more active and has different benefits. Doesn't mean anyone is "less worthy" because they listened to books. But listening isn't reading, reading refers to something printed/written.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Yes audiobooks count as reading. I will die on this hill but they do.
No, listening and reading are not the same thing. Just because you’re angry it doesn’t make what you say more true. 😂😂😂
It’s great that you can listen to audiobooks, I also do this while working sometimes on a less stressful day and while cleaning the house. Is it nice and helps stay in touch with books? Sure. But it’s not the same level of commitment, effort and full dedication as reading a book, so no they’re not the same. I wouldn’t say I read 50 books this year (random number for the purpose of this example) when I listened to 40 and read 10, because that’s not true. I would say that I read 10 books.

PS: Let’s not bring ableism into this because this wasn’t about a disabled person that can’t read a book and needs to listen to it instead. This was about people that are able to read but don’t and call listening to audiobooks the same as reading.

• Heart
Sorry but audiobooks aren’t reading.
Wait, where did this come from? They most definitely are reading. There is literal evidence proving the difference between aural readers and visual readers. By saying they aren’t, shows a level of snobbery and a complete lack of understanding of people and their differences. Perhaps you need to step back and reassess.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Yeah listening and reading are two different things. One isn't better than the other, but they are different.

It's especially true when in context with doing other things. Saying you have time to read is very different to listening (e.g. you can listen to audiobook while doing other things like chores, driving, walking etc).

Again, one doesn't make you better than the other, it's just different

Reactions: 36
If I read a book and listen to the audiobook, it’s still the same book. I’ve consumed the same book. It is most definitely not “just like a podcast”. Are we really gatekeeping reading? Consuming more books in whatever format works for you, is good for everyone.

Reactions: 28
If I read a book and listen to the audiobook, it’s still the same book. I’ve consumed the same book. It is most definitely not “just like a podcast”. Are we really gatekeeping reading? Consuming more books in whatever format works for you, is good for everyone.
No one is gate keeping reading, just stating that reading and listening are two different things. And 'consuming books' is a different thing to listening or reading. Consuming things can be done in a variety of ways (hence listening and reading).

I'm more surprised people don't see the difference between the two skillsets and are so triggered. There is a reason listening and reading are tested differently when learning languages.

Again it doesn't make anyone better or worse, but they are different

• Heart
Reactions: 39
The original post that I quoted didn’t mention “consuming literature”. No reading snobbery here. I can listen to an audiobook driving a car, can’t read and drive. The original post related to reading with a newborn.

Reading and listening aren’t the same thing.

Your response is unnecessarily defensive, a touch Carrie-esque yourself.
---
Wait, where did this come from? They most definitely are reading. There is literal evidence proving the difference between aural readers and visual readers. By saying they aren’t, shows a level of snobbery and a complete lack of understanding of people and their differences. Perhaps you need to step back and reassess.
This is a complete overreaction to what I said. Listening to an audiobook is not the same as reading a book, when managing a newborn baby. That’s all. There’s no snobbery or disregard of people’s differences on my part.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Um ok, side-stepping the current discussion to express my annoyance that two Carrie concerts got nominated, including the „I never worked so hard on anything“ Once concert, for which she still looks so wrong, looking at the still from the show. I already voted (for Ariana Debose obviously) lol

Reactions: 17
Also side-stepping the audiobook/read a book debate - any way of getting literature into our brains is good. I like both.
1702033950525.gif

I think that knitting machine is quite popular on TikTok so I’m guessing Carrie the “influencer” got influenced again. Maybe Joel will have a hideous hat to go with the clunky scarf she made him. Maybe she’ll get really good and make little Macarena Matilda Mouseketeer Fletcher-Montague some tiny, lumpy, knitted outfits during her maternity leave hiatus between jobs.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
A TikTok about panto came up and someone said they thought Carrie was a YouTuber and asked why she was in panto and someone said she’s a sideways nepo baby and her minions are in the comments saying she’s not a nepo baby or privileged cause she went to theatre school like no she didn’t 🤣
I still can’t forget that phase where she tried to convince everyone her parents were working class and they all worked really hard on weekends going to auditions and failing but kept on trying and “look at me now” 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.