Carrie Hope Fletcher #3 Call her bad Cinderella

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just had to laugh at The One Show interview."I'm so bad at everything else, musical theatre is all I can do!" and yet she's always adamant she's writer as much as she is an actress... at least she's self aware!

Reactions: 10
Not really a fan of the Bad Cinderella song...it seems pretty flat and pedestrian compared to a lot of current MT. Even &Juliet, which is a load of cover versions, sounds more dynamic!

Reactions: 4
Just had to laugh at The One Show interview."I'm so bad at everything else, musical theatre is all I can do!" and yet she's always adamant she's writer as much as she is an actress... at least she's self aware!
And she's a pretty mediocre MT actress so even claiming that she can "do" that is a shaky claim at best.

Reactions: 7
It seems like one of the messages of this show is it's okay to be rude? I hope not but that's what came across from the descriptions on The One Show.

Reactions: 2
I agree, it's a seemingly very individualistic 'duck everyone else' type message. Which tbh is what part of society has become but I dont think its something to be promoted. By all means be yourself, but also be self aware enough to understand how your actions and attitude come across and affect others

Reactions: 5
It could work if it was in criticism of the manner in which society demands the individual to be perfect and how toxic and unmanageable that is but it's not coming across as a show that could be that nauced.

Reactions: 6
Outdated is the word.
The lyrics aren’t her fault, but I thought we all knew that ‘l*me’ is some ableist bullshit? She prides herself on being so woke, yet she happily sings that old shite.
I also find the "barking mad", "loon" and "nutter" lyrics a bit tone deaf.

Reactions: 11
It seems like one of the messages of this show is it's okay to be rude? I hope not but that's what came across from the descriptions on The One Show.
Is funny because the whole point about Cinderella is how she was an abuse survivor who never stops being KIND. She never wanted to find a prince, she just wanted to have a night off dancing, her excuse of running away from the prince is that she needs to "meet the prince."
Carrie keeps saying how much she loves Disney but she can't even understand that Cinderella's story was never about getting a man and how it's wrong to say the story needed a feminist twist.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I agree, it's a seemingly very individualistic 'duck everyone else' type message. Which tbh is what part of society has become but I dont think its something to be promoted. By all means be yourself, but also be self aware enough to understand how your actions and attitude come across and affect others
Very much so, the character comes off as super petulant and immature. She's not strong, confident, admirable, outspoken, intelligent or feminist. "Let them eat cake, I hope they choke on it", "I hope that I've upset you" -- I can only hope that the Cinderella goes from being a teenage version of an outcast to an actual character with depth and fundamental values.

As was previously said, in our world of social justice issues like representation, gender, sex, race, reproductive rights, etc it comes off as super outdated and falls flat.

Her bad acting is becoming more and more evident as she takes on more challenging (or maybe just larger?) roles. She should have gone to drama school.

The only highlight of the entire appearance was seeing how for once her style was actually on point. I don't know if someone else styled her, but she managed to pull off the skirt and boots / all black type ensemble while actually looking like an almost-30-year-old woman. As many people said her hair length was beautiful and her makeup was really nicely done, I'd forgotten she was capable of looking that nice.

Reactions: 3
I just watched the One Show performance. I actually enjoyed it more, it's a bit of an ear worm but that final note is not pleasant to listen to. The character doesnt come off quite so unlikeable, but it does feel very dated and immature and I feel like everyone's missed the point of who Cinderella is.

As for her look, she looks ok I guess but I wouldnt say go mad on it. Sadly, like all before her, she will be dropped by ALW once the show opens and he moves on to his next 'best/most exciting vocal he has ever heard' . If the show flops he will disown all of it very quick. as he always does

Reactions: 4
I also find the "barking mad", "loon" and "nutter" lyrics a bit tone deaf.
Ooooh, I haven’t listened to the whole thing but that is grim 😬 especially as she claims to be a MH advocate. She really needs to get her tit together on that front. There’s only so much “hehe I’m just an actor I just do as I’m told” that someone can get away with.

Reactions: 6
I find her difficult. I thought her acting and singing (albeit she was ill) in Heathers was dreadful.
However, I stumbled on YouTube upon her singing 'Home' from beetlejuice and it was really lovely. She didn't shout her way through it.

Reactions: 1
It could work if it was in criticism of the manner in which society demands the individual to be perfect and how toxic and unmanageable that is but it's not coming across as a show that could be that nauced.
I think it is supposed to be that. I've heard an interview with Emerald Fennell introducing the kingdom (?) it's set in, and that does seem to be what she's going for. I'll see if I can find it and share a link. The song doesn't seem to say that as a standalone though.

(Edited to add link)

Last edited:
I think they are going for period setting with modern sensibilities and music (so like Marie Antoinette movie and like & Juliet and Six).

I think they are going for period setting with modern sensibilities and music (so like Marie Antoinette movie and like & Juliet and Six).
I can't wait til it comes out and someone takes on for the team to see how awful it's going to be. I'm so disappointed in the music.

Not really a fan of the Bad Cinderella song...it seems pretty flat and pedestrian compared to a lot of current MT. Even &Juliet, which is a load of cover versions, sounds more dynamic!
Agreed, the melody of Bad Cinderella is quite predictable and boring, in my view. I don’t like the same note x 4 for the 3rd line. Sounds like a nursery rhyme to me. Not what I expect from ALW.

Edit to add: if you google theatre board and ALW’s Cinderella you can see some other opinions - seems like a mixed reception with quite a few expecting more from ALW.

Last edited:
I think it is supposed to be that. I've heard an interview with Emerald Fennell introducing the kingdom (?) it's set in, and that does seem to be what she's going for. I'll see if I can find it and share a link. The song doesn't seem to say that as a standalone though.

(Edited to add link)

to be honest I think I'd rather spend time with the perfect people than the grumpy rude chip on shoulder girl they seem to be portraying at the moment.

Also, and I know it's very judgemental based on voice alone, but she sounds quite posh. Curious to see if she is as in touch with modern society as they claim. especially alongside billionaire alw and privileged CHF

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.