Carrie Hope Fletcher #3 Call her bad Cinderella

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a look at the Cinderella thread on Theatreboard to see what people thought of the song and they don’t seem too impressed. The problem, as many have pointed out, is that Carrie doesn’t act through the song. Conveying a story through the song is a critical skill in musical theatre and it’s not enough to sing nicely. Someone called it Cinder-meh-la which made me laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I had a look at the Cinderella thread on Theatreboard to see what people thought of the song and they don’t seem too impressed. The problem, as many have pointed out, is that Carrie doesn’t act through the song. Conveying a story through the song is a critical skill in musical theatre and it’s not enough to sing nicely. Someone called it Cinder-meh-la which made me laugh.
Oh God I could see that coming back again and again in every review and article about the show, in the same way that a bloggers' comment "should have called it Paint Never Dries" kept coming back to haunt "Love Never Dies" :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I couldn’t watch the whole thing for this reason there was no light and shade seemed very repetitive I didn’t know what it was saying or telling me about her or the storyline. You’d think they’d have put some kind of costume or background there too since they had the place to themselves

Reactions: 3
One thing that the good morning / good evening videos have brought to light for me is the stark contrast of how differently Carrie and Oliver view their profession. When he talks about roles he'll say that it was an exciting project, or that it was challenging, he uses language that sort of makes you take seriously how dedicated he is to his craft. When Carrie talks about roles, it's quite childish and surface-level. In one of the videos they mention Anastasia and she says that she was obsessed with the film as a child right after talking about being interested in the main role, as if how much and for how long you've loved the source material justifies how much you deserve the role. She never really demonstrates a deep knowledge of theatre as an artform, it feels more like she's fulfilling girlish fantasies she had as a child.

She also comes off as being much, much older. I don't know if she was ever really around people her own age, but Oliver's stories about going to the pub, going on holiday, etc seem so normal and make her stories sound like they should come from someone about 15 years older than she is. His taste in clothing and general energy are just a lot more youthful too.

Reactions: 13
One thing that the good morning / good evening videos have brought to light for me is the stark contrast of how differently Carrie and Oliver view their profession. When he talks about roles he'll say that it was an exciting project, or that it was challenging, he uses language that sort of makes you take seriously how dedicated he is to his craft. When Carrie talks about roles, it's quite childish and surface-level. In one of the videos they mention Anastasia and she says that she was obsessed with the film as a child right after talking about being interested in the main role, as if how much and for how long you've loved the source material justifies how much you deserve the role. She never really demonstrates a deep knowledge of theatre as an artform, it feels more like she's fulfilling girlish fantasies she had as a child.

She also comes off as being much, much older. I don't know if she was ever really around people her own age, but Oliver's stories about going to the pub, going on holiday, etc seem so normal and make her stories sound like they should come from someone about 15 years older than she is. His taste in clothing and general energy are just a lot more youthful too.
Oliver is clearly very passionate for the theatre and has worked bloody hard to get where he is. Carrie will basically do anything that’s handed to her/where she doesn’t really have to work.

Reactions: 9

Absolutely agree with you.

I don't feel like Carrie has a lot of life experience generally. Maybe in some ways, but not in others.

Carrie seems to just like being in a production because it's what she's used to.

Oliver has passion. I love how he really fights for the roles he wants as well. He's very talented as well. I remember seeing the Tiktok video of Carrie and him dancing. No competition on who was the better dancer. Oliver was so much better.

I think Carrie acts a lot older, dresses older but in lot of ways seems very immature. I don't mean that to be nasty but her lack of enthusiasm and passion for what she does is evident!

She's never been an incredible singer. She's always been just okay. Her singing voice sounds like her talking voice. She's aggressive, and can't act normally let alone through the medium of song. Her range is belting and THE FACE. That's it.

Reactions: 1

So this rocked up on my for you page and one of the comments was 'she' d make a great elphaba! ' she wouldn't even pass the Stephen schwartz test, she's too shout for an elphaba, also she's too out of breath you can hear she's struggling. Also if she ever becomes an elphaba I will revoke my love for the show 😂😂

Reactions: 4

I think the reason she sounds so much older is because she never went to uni or sixth form college. A lot of formative life experiences like going out-out for the first time with your mates happen when you’re in sixth form/uni. She left school after GCSEs, pottered around doing bits and pieces, and finally got Eponine when she was 19. And everyone else in the cast was probably 25+, and probably not going to do a teenage activity with her.

Reactions: 4
I think the reason she sounds so much older is because she never went to uni or sixth form college. A lot of formative life experiences like going out-out for the first time with your mates happen when you’re in sixth form/uni. She left school after GCSEs, pottered around doing bits and pieces, and finally got Eponine when she was 19. And everyone else in the cast was probably 25+, and probably not going to do a teenage activity with her.
And nearly all of them went to stage school like Lamda or Central or possibly Rada that's if they switch between musical theatre and straight acting so they're very disciplined with their time. Who wants to forced to talk to a camera and be asked stupid questions by Carrie?! Not me

Reactions: 2
I think she is 'not like other girls' in the sense that she literally lacks on normal teenage & young adult experiences. I think that's why she is so socially awkward and doesn't seem to be a friend to many.

She's never been an incredible singer. She's always been just okay. Her singing voice sounds like her talking voice. She's aggressive, and can't act normally let alone through the medium of song. Her range is belting and THE FACE. That's it.
To be fair, a good belter knows that belting comes from the talking register. It’s a good larynx placement. Too low and you can a low opera sound or ghost like sound- too high can come out a bit squeaky. The fact that you can hear her talking register when she sings means she’s got perfect larynx placement to belt. When you hear her trying to belt high notes now you can her the sqeakiness and tightness coming from her larynx and it’s not healthy. *ive been doing some online singing teaching through lockdown and have learnt a few more things about proper placement,

Reactions: 8
I never went to sixth form or university either. I definitely had to grow up fast in other ways as I had a full time job by the time I was 18. I like to think I have has similar experiences to my peers as I was always into nights out, drinking and spending time with my friends. I'm 29 now and always get told that I act a lot younger. My fashion sense is still quite young as well, unlike Carrie.

I think Carrie was quite an unusual teenager in a sense that she wasn't really interested in nights out or drinking. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I feel like she's not really experienced a lot due to that amongst other things.

It doesn't appear that Carrie has a lot of friends from what I can tell either.

I remember her vaguely mentioning old school friends but it doesn't seem to see them much nowadays or keeps it quiet, if she does.

she often says Addams was her equivalent to a university experience - that happened when she was 25ish i believe? that is a lot older than most undergrad students, and i think this is reflected in her attitude. i think we all noticed a shift in personality around/after addams which does tie with uni - uni is such a formative experience for people where they learn so much abut life and grow into adulthood. before buying her flat at around 22? carrie had never lived on her own. she had never had to properly “adult” before that, and then her “uni experience” came a few years after that even. i think she is very delayed in maturing and learning looking after herself without help (perhaps this is also reflected in her bouncing from boyfriend to boyfriend, and embarrassingly getting her mum to defend her on social media). if she had experienced an addams/uni setting at the age of 18/19 where she was living alone and becoming a young adult (and experiencing the personality shift she did in addams) she wouldn’t have had the issues with social media about opening up too much etc. this has been a messy post lol but i think she didn’t experience enough adult experiences and “maturing” at early adulthood and so still has the mindset of a teenager. addams was three years ago - if it was her “uni experience” she’s only just graduated.

To be fair, a good belter knows that belting comes from the talking register. It’s a good larynx placement. Too low and you can a low opera sound or ghost like sound- too high can come out a bit squeaky. The fact that you can hear her talking register when she sings means she’s got perfect larynx placement to belt. When you hear her trying to belt high notes now you can her the sqeakiness and tightness coming from her larynx and it’s not healthy. *ive been doing some online singing teaching through lockdown and have learnt a few more things about proper placement,
Do you think the unhealthiness you hear in her larynx is something that happened due to how sick she was during Heathers? If so, that's so sad and must be so terrible for her :/ It feels like it should be a breach of employee well-being if shows are forcing actors and actresses to continuously sing when they aren't feeling their best. I'm pretty sure you don't see football players being forced to play with sprains or what not (though maybe they do because I don't watch football 😂)

Reactions: 2
I'm kinda surprised she let it happen to be honest. I'm not saying that to be nasty but surely if they were forcing her to perform, she could have got her management involved, etc?

We all know she hates being off sick so her understudy can take the limelight off her. Didn't she cry when she was off sick during Addams?

I know she was stunt casted for heather's but I just find it a bit strange. Surely, she could have got her manager involved or something? Doesn't matter if she's the "star of the show" she has rights.

Reactions: 1

So this rocked up on my for you page and one of the comments was 'she' d make a great elphaba! ' she wouldn't even pass the Stephen schwartz test, she's too shout for an elphaba, also she's too out of breath you can hear she's struggling. Also if she ever becomes an elphaba I will revoke my love for the show 😂😂
lol you can't even tell what she's saying!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.