Carrie Hope Fletcher #11 I know i have a career because I was #Gifted it

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She'll write and perform a one woman show where the main character Mary Mope must overcome her rough childhood in the suburbs slums of London attending an all girls private school where it's hard to be a pick me girl, her only escape is her annual vacation to Misney Morld.

But it's definitely not her, since she can't go on stage as herself.

Reactions: 16
It’s sad really. Back when she was in the Eponine/Truly era, I could have believed that she could go on to play someone like Elsa or Elphaba or pretty much anyone (as long as they are her in her vocal range). But she aged so quickly, Heathers damaged her voice, and she’s thrown so many unprofessional tantrums that I’ve not seen any other theatre actor do so much as her. Now I don’t think she will ever get cast on talent again. Waitress have been known for their stunt casting in the past so it wouldn’t surprise me if they cast her as Jenna. Then again, I don’t know if they’d go as far as the stunt cast the main character. I genuinely think that if Carrie didn’t have her social media following, she’d have had her five minutes of fame as Eponine, Beth, and Truly and then would have moved on to local pantos. (Nothing wrong with doing a local panto of course, I just mean that I don’t think she’d be able to get by in the West End anymore.)

It’s a shame that she doesn’t recognise that her followers are the reason she does so well with her writing and her acting career, and that they’re the people she’s so rude to. My friend made a harmless comment on Twitter years ago saying something like ‘Didn’t get to see Carrie at stage door but oh well maybe next time!’ She wasn’t complaining or demanding that it was her right to meet her because she knew that meeting an actor at stage door is just a bonus. She didn’t even tag Carrie and she got blocked. We were 15 at the time and she was absolutely gutted. When someone you’re a fan of blocks you on social media after you’ve said NOTHING wrong, it is really hurtful. She was so upset. And she, and myself at the time, were two of her ‘loyal hopefuls’ that she owes her bloody career to. And Carrie can deny that she’s now a stunt cast but she knows for a fact that the only reason her books get published and sell so well is because of her YouTube subscribers, not her writing talent (or lack of).

Reactions: 29
I find it absolutely staggering that she doesn't try and learn new skills that would help her career.

Many of us do CPD for our careers, or go on courses and such to learn now skills. Her refusal to develop her skill set shows she knows she isn't cast on her talent or skills but her name. And she is prepared to rely on that.

Can't wait for her to no longer be a pull so can't be stunt cast anymore.

It will open with this line.

https://giphy.com/ZFp4yegTTbE9wCmKhy

Reactions: 20
So I guess we’ve come to the conclusion that she literally can’t play any role successfully? Will be interesting to see where she goes after Cinderella.
Maybe not that far, but she is pretty limited by her damaged voice, limited range, and lack of training. I guess it depends to what extent the show's producers would be prepared to make changes for her (like transposing the score down in Heathers) and / or if it were a new show written around her (like Cinderella largely was)

Reactions: 7
I’ve seen a few of her fans on Twitter say the same. I don’t have Twitter anymore so I can’t find them but I’ve definitely seen several over the years. I’m gonna link this old TikTok for anyone who hasn’t seen it already

Reactions: 10
I’m nowhere near as knowledgable about musical theatre as a lot of people in this thread so are there any roles you guys think she COULD do successfully? Bonus points for a role where they wouldn’t have to make changes to suit her cause they just want her name on the poster.

Reactions: 1
I actually think she’d pull off playing The Baker’s Wife in Into The Woods, she’d have two love interests too so she’d be all over that
In her Eponine days I think she’d have been lovely as Mary in Jesus Christ Superstar, but not now. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather not see her as either but I think she’d be better suited to them than she would Veronica and Wednesday. I’m trying to think of roles with no dialogue or comedy to be honest as it’s usually cringeworthy and just highlights how bad she is at acting.

Reactions: 12
Fiona in Shrek. I’m not sure if she can sing that high though

Reactions: 3
Forgot what Lucie Jones sounds like so played her singing don't rain on my parade and my god, THATS talent.

I don't know why they had her audition for Carousel. It was a joke that they even made her think she was capable of being in that show. She isn't a dancer and she's not a lyric soprano by any stretch. I saw it back in 2018, and I can't imagine Carrie as either Julie or Carrie (oh lord could you imagine if she shared a name with a character). I know this sounds harsh, but she doesn't compare to Jessie Mueller or Lindsay Mendez.

To add to this back in her early Eponine days I could have seen her as an Ilse or Martha (though Martha only has a duet not a solo so idk if she'd even consider playing her) from Spring Awakening since both roles are belty/shouty and she had the quirkyness to be Ilse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
So I guess we’ve come to the conclusion that she literally can’t play any role successfully? Will be interesting to see where she goes after Cinderella.
I think she was a good Eponine and Truly, Imo she played both characters well. Everything else however… I think the bigger her ego got the more she believed that everyone just wanted her to play herself on stage. She has 0 range. Get acting classes Carrie, it’s never to later to improve on your craft.

Reactions: 11
Or to find a new one

There's no way she'd do the tap number.
And this is exactly the problem, I genuinely can’t think fancy and I think of my self as a deeply passionate Theatre lover with a good to great amount of knowledge but every time I try to think of a role it’s always “oh but there’s that”… normally it’s a dance number or it’s a “mum” role which I’m not sure her agent would out her up for quite yet - Bakers Wife is a good shout, but roles like Elle Woods, Fiona, Mary Poppins, Captain Beverly Bass in CFA, Anne Hathaway, Elsa and Anna, the SIX queens, Billy’s Mum or the dance teacher I’m blanking on the name of etc all fall into that “but….” And I’m really struggling here there’s really nothing for her in Phantom I don’t think she’d even do Madam Giry one day and everything else is a straight play

I guess Miss Honey is still the only one but she’s still got a hefty emotional backstory behind her and I’d hate to see “My House” shouted through

I saw Christina Bennington post video of her rehearsing songs from Phantom - full soprano and so different to how she sounded in Heathers and Bat. She has been trained as a singer and that’s the difference. Carrie, with her lack of training and therefore ability, is a one-trick pony and her options are really limited as a result.

I think she might be reaching the end of her privileged career and is about to become a jobbing actress who is going to have to audition. Especially if she doesn't go to broadway

Reactions: 16
Interesting…. For anyone interested Sophie Evans who is current principle Glinda in Wicked just posted this, instantly took me back to Carrie’s take that “no one watches their covers, not even their cover run, I swear”… yeah Carrie sure

Attachments

Reactions: 30
Working in the profession, it's ridiculous to say that principles don't watch cover runs. They have to. They get shows off to watch cover runs and take notes. That's what Sophie will have been doing. Carrie does not know what she is talking about. She's almost am dram (although can arguably sing, although clearly not trained) in a professional world.

Reactions: 23
I was just thinking about this! Watching is literally working with your covers to improve your craft you going have been moving in a way you didn’t realise doesn’t translate very well to someone sat in the circle and you see it in the cover run so know you make that action land you’ve got to be bigger, but oh no that involves actually working with others (not just tagging them on Instagram gushing about them but actual work with them) and Carrie can never deal with that

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.