Caroline Hirons #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s interesting. Is it that the marketing budget was always the amount it is now but we accepted it being spent on magazine advertising etc. Now we see it being spent on influencers and events. I have no knowledge but it’s interesting. Is it just that it’s more visible to us now and we’re more knowledgeable about this. Is social media advertising actually backfiring on them (and I say this as someone who was plenty ‘influenced’ back in the day - still working through the backlog.
It’s definitely more visible to the consumer than ever before but there’s also just so much more money swilling around. In one report I read the global beauty industry is now worth 500 billion USD. It’s had a massive boom in the last few years, fuelled by influencers. According to some calculations the beauty industry contributes more to the UK economy than the motor industry does 🤯

It’s also one of (if not the) most profitable consumer sectors. Remember when beauty writers were at the bottom of the pile in all the major magazines? It’s a whole different ball game now.

The backfiring point is well made... no one knows where the ceiling is so everyone from the influencers through to the brands both major and niche are making as much hay as possible while the sun shines.

Reactions: 1
I'm sure someone can find the comment again from Drunk Elephant about her saying why they no longer worked with her as - 'she doesn't seem to understand ingredients' (or something similar).
I thought that was very telling.
I don't think she hit back with her credentials either.

Reactions: 5
I'm sure someone can find the comment again from Drunk Elephant about her saying why they no longer worked with her as - 'she doesn't seem to understand ingredients' (or something similar).
I thought that was very telling.
I don't think she hit back with her credentials either.
To be fair, Drunk Elephant gave her a lot of tit for her saying a product didn’t agree with her skin. I think DE threw all their toys out of the pram

Reactions: 4
My personal favourite is when Brandon Truaxe took out major media print ads calling her an internet pseudo-article writer and ultra-sophisticate 💅
As problematic as Truaxe was, he’s pretty spot on with Hirons here. She has no education, she’s self taught. Which is perfectly fine in some areas, but medically (which is what skincare and skin is) she can’t really go around giving advice like she’s Miss Know It All.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
According to google, a Steiner beauty School is listed on Wardour Street.
If you search for steiner soho, it has closed but I think that site has always been a beauty school, probably the same company with name changes. When I worked nearby the same site was the London College of Beauty Therapy. It was really old school, basic training but you could get a facial for a tenner from a student. In the era when the 'new thing' was foaming facial cleanser, they always recommended removing your facial milk cleanser with an astringent toner to completely degrease the skin. Oh how things have moved on...!

Anyone doing that training would be hopelessly out of their depth nowadays, without doing additional retraining.

Reactions: 3
As problematic as Truaxe was, he’s pretty spot on with Hirons here. She has no education, she’s self taught. Which is perfectly fine in some areas, but medically (which is what skincare and skin is) she can’t really go around giving advice like she’s Miss Know It All.
Yet to listen to her she’s the skincare Oracle, how she gets away with it I have no idea.

Reactions: 6
glad it's not just me that finds space nk staff really bad, they really do look you up and down like a piece of tit. my mam went in one christmas to buy me some things and told me when she came home that she never will shop there again! like everyone else, appalling customer service until they noticed her expensive watch and then they were all over her like a rash.... don't think i've ever been in there where the staff have been helpful.
just like the worst staff on the makeup counters are tilbury , absolutely horrendous everytime!

Reactions: 7
She really thinks shes some hot shot Dermatologisy!
Youre a bleeping sales woman Hirons nothing more

Reactions: 3
I went to an actual dermatologist and he ass horrified by this trend of layering a million different products à la Hirons et al

• Wow
Reactions: 8
glad it's not just me that finds space nk staff really bad, they really do look you up and down like a piece of tit. my mam went in one christmas to buy me some things and told me when she came home that she never will shop there again! like everyone else, appalling customer service until they noticed her expensive watch and then they were all over her like a rash.... don't think i've ever been in there where the staff have been helpful.
just like the worst staff on the makeup counters are tilbury , absolutely horrendous everytime!
Yep!!! Horrible staff, until one of them asked what I was looking for and I said its for my mum, and pretended that I was an Arab Royal family member with security outside (it was my two 6’3 male cousins waiting for me), I was been waited on hand and foot and then I said no, this place is cheap, I will go back to Harrods!! LOL this was the Space NK next to Harrods btw

Yep!!! Horrible staff, until one of them asked what I was looking for and I said its for my mum, and pretended that I was an Arab Royal family member with security outside (it was my two 6’3 male cousins waiting for me), I was been waited on hand and foot and then I said no, this place is cheap, I will go back to Harrods!! LOL this was the Space NK next to Harrods btw

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
And who is making this stuff anyway? How come we never meet the people in the factories? Isn’t that weird? There needs to be a beauty equivalent of the #whomademyclothes campaign.
sugarpill actually do factory tours on instagram sometimes which is awesome. but agree with you it's mostly loadsa chemicals in a factory put together by underpaid people. not that ch would care about that :'(

Reactions: 2
A Model Recommends is doing a giveaway of the CH box she was sent. Why why why are influencers being sent this box when they probably already have the vast majority of products

Y
A Model Recommends is doing a giveaway of the CH box she was sent. Why why why are influencers being sent this box when they probably already have the vast majority of products
It’s because she has a large reach and it gets the message out even further. I don’t read or watch and CH content but I do like Ruth - she’s infinitely more watchable. So it’s to capture people outside of the direct CH bubble.

Y

It’s because she has a large reach and it gets the message out even further. I don’t read or watch and CH content but I do like Ruth - she’s infinitely more watchable. So it’s to capture people outside of the direct CH bubble.
She didn't post about the competition until after the box had sold out. CH has also got pretty much double the amount of followers AMR has so I don't buy that. The point is that if influencers are being sent this for free as well as the free meal and overnight stay even though the box is meant to be worth £400 but only going for £125, that means us consumers are paying a huge mark up. The whole thing is sickening

@SqualorVictoria I certainly agree with what you’re saying. The PR agencies that are involved - CH’s, Space NK’s and the brands included in the box will have signed off who the freebies were sent to and I definitely think there’s a case ‘you’re in my gang’ so regardless of reach they would get the sample / gift. Should have been a bit clearer, my point was a more general one about the reason why there seems to be a blanket approach to sending gifts to influencers - it’s to ensure coverage and engagement. Also there’s sometimes an approach to seeding products that makes the product more desirable if it’s sold out.

The budgets are significant but I doubt they are much different (as a percentage of revenue) than they were when it was all above the line old school advertising as influencer marketing has historically been a bit cheaper (although I am certain that’s no the case anymore).

For a prime spot in Selfridges beauty hall at Christmas they charge 10’s of thousands to be front of store so the money being spent is still huge in other areas too.

Not sticking up for the influencers at all, I’m just trying to look at other aspects.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.