Caroline Flack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I totally get why Caroline’s mum would be looking for someone to blame. On the surface, Caroline had everything to live for - and to hear that cps initially only wanted to caution her, to then find out that they were going ahead with a trial, I would imagine its natural to look for someone to blame, and to pinpoint that as being the cause - if they hadn’t gone ahead and wanted to take it to trial, then Caroline may not have died. My daughter died - she was very premature and had everything stacked against her but still, I blamed the consultant, the midwife, the hospital - if only they had got her out earlier, if only they had tried to keep her in, all the if onlys - maybe a form of denial, a part of grief. I imagine if I was Caroline’s mum, I would feel exactly the same. When really, we will never know. No one will know how bad she must have been feeling, what else may have pushed her to end everything, it’s so desperately sad.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
I think people should also look to her management to see why no one intervened, employers have a duty of care and she should have been forced to get help sooner, it was pretty clear she was seriously unwell and struggling. The media took it too far (as they often do with female celebrities) but they didn't have a duty of care towards her the same way her management did. They should have been the ones keeping her out of the spotlight and getting her help so she couldn't have even seen what the media were saying. A couple of months at a mental health facility/rehab and it would have as good as blown over by the time she was discharged.

For what it's worth to people saying it would have been very different if it was a man - Kobe Bryant was celebrated as a hero after his death this year but was a rapist. So it wouldn't have been any different if she was a man 🤷‍♀️
Disagree, there wouldn’t have been as much of a media witch-hunt if she was a man. I believe it was this foaming at the mouth to see a woman prosecuted for DV, that led the police to upping the charge from just a caution.

I think if she was a man, there wouldn’t have been as much fuss, there would have just been a caution, and this fictional man could have gone on a successful PR campaign making himself look like a victim of provocation.

Reactions: 21
It's what came out in the inquest. I'm just paraphrasing/repeating it.
The evidence used at the inquest referred (repeatedly) to the victim being asleep when he was attacked. There are multiple sources, from reporters present. Here is one example, plenty of others can be found.

Reactions: 2
Caroline should have had mental health help months ago. I am sure it’s helpful in a way for her mum to say it was one thing ie. the prosecution that caused this. However she was ill a long time before this incident. By what he said she wasn’t well when she was with Andrew Brady and he called an ambulance for her because she threatened to kill herself (then got cross and denied she said it and it was in the papers) so this was all bound to happen. Why did people listen to her when she denied being ill? She was advised badly. But sometimes when it’s your first time dealing with someone who is mentally unwell it’s hard to know what to do, and sadly wrong decisions regarding their care can cost them their lives because they’re ill. Had she taken some real time to get better way before this than maybe it never would have happened. It’s so sad. People do awful things when they’re un well but it still doesn’t excuse what they did particularly when this most probably was not a one off. I agree with above. Where were her family? Maybe she pushed them away but she’s ill! Again when serious mental health problems are new to you it’s hard to know what to do and at the time it feels cruel to ‘force’ them to do something ie get sectioned but she would have thanked them for it in the long run. Now I think it’s just easier for her family to point to one thing rather than believe she was so ill that she has spiralled.

Reactions: 7
Disagree, there wouldn’t have been as much of a media witch-hunt if she was a man. I believe it was this foaming at the mouth to see a woman prosecuted for DV, that led the police to upping the charge from just a caution.

I think if she was a man, there wouldn’t have been as much fuss, there would have just been a caution, and this fictional man could have gone on a successful PR campaign making himself look like a victim of provocation.
Very true! Women like Caroline Flack and Amber Heard are very convenient to use when people try to have conversations about male violence. “2 women a week are killed by partners or ex partners, this rose to 16 in the first 3 weeks of lockdown in the UK, how can we change our behaviour and society so male violence is controlled?” “Yeah well Caroline Flack women do it too but no one wants to think about the men!!!!!”
I guess a male being a domestic abuser isn’t really that shocking or newsworthy, but a female is unfortunately.

On a separate note I can’t believe she had that many suicide attempts/threats and was never sectioned? I believe there’s a section used for assessment which is something like only 24/48hours. It doesn’t seem like she was ever even assessed really. So sad when all the warning signs were clearly there

• Heart
Reactions: 16
By all accounts her family were very close knit with her and supportive, They didnt just leave her to get on with all her problems.The day she took her own life her Mum and sister were going over in the afternoon.I feel sorry for them because they wont ever be able to stop thinking about it all ever.Its not something you just get over or forget about after a few months.

Reactions: 8
Was her dad involved at all? I think I remember reading that it was him that found her, but then this was changed at the inquest. But no mention of him at all, just mum and sister?

Reactions: 3
The evidence used at the inquest referred (repeatedly) to the victim being asleep when he was attacked. There are multiple sources, from reporters present. Here is one example, plenty of others can be found.

I'm aware of the incident report.
Why do we have trials and inquests at all if we can just read a police report 😕

Reactions: 1
Caroline had been ill for a long time and desperately needed treatment of some kind, to stabilise her and give her a path out of the darkness.

She was also 40, yet everyone refers to her as a young girl. That may not have helped her fragile state of mind. Maybe she wanted a husband, a couple of kids and time was running out. Who knows?

I think she should have stepped away from showbiz and the constant pressure of having to look gorgeous and pretending to have fun - very few photos show Caroline without a big beaming smile, yet she was so unhappy underneath that dazzlingly happy exterior.

Sadly I think her death was inevitable and she would have taken her own life one way or another, regardless of support from friends and family.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
One article I read said that she likely had a MH condition that is recognised in America but not here? What could that be?

She definitely, to me, seemed text book BPD with those lows and her love life. (Armchair diagnosing isnt cool, I know, its just the similarities of it all that catches my attention)

Reactions: 6
Caroline's death is such a trigger for me as I'm sure it is with many people

Whether she flicked him, hit him with a phone/lamp/fan.. whatever it was, the woman did not deserve to die

I totally believe her suicide was avoidable, and I'm annoyed her friends didn't stay with her on the day she died, fully knowing her mental state and that she'd attempted suicide more than once

The fact she had text her friend the night before saying she wanted to kill herself? I'm sorry I wouldn't move from my friends side if I was in that situation, and I would've done all I could to get her help

I'm not blaming her friends but I just believe there was a lot more that could have been done to help her

I'm not condoning what she done to Lewis, no one will ever know for certain what happened that night apart from the two of them and it's no wonder her mental health was fucked with all the lies/rumours/speculation that followed

Reactions: 9
who takes photos posing at a bleeping funeral
This! Those photos are creepy. Clustering around for the camera doing a weird hybrid of ‘tabloid sadface’ and pouting. Tons of make up. What is wrong with them? I suspect that they are very much enjoying their five minutes of fame, presenting themselves as Caroline Flack’s guardian angels and parroting the “she only cared about the effect on other people” line. Saint Caroline, selfless and only concerned with other people, not herself, with her retinue of living saints keeping the flame burning. Christ.

As others on this thread have pointed out, CF knew that her career was finished. It was obvious as soon as the story broke. That the police subsequently decided to charge her is irrelevant. Her friend quotes her as saying, “nobody can understand what I’ve been going through”, as if she were the victim and had suffered more than anybody else in the world ever. The end of her career and the associated self-pity, combined with drug abuse, is why she took her own life, in my opinion. I feel sorry for DI Lauren Goodman. If her face looked anything but miserable, she’d be described as ‘smirking’. If she didn’t, she’d be ‘hatchet faced’.

The film Heathers was made in 1989. 31 years ago. It very effectively captures the idea of people who have behaved badly in life being canonised after their death by suicide, and having noble motives ascribed to them - she was just too good for this world, too deep, too emotional, too caring, too thoughtful, who knew! - when in fact the motives are usually more obvious and yes, selfish.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Perhaps Caroline felt she couldn't take time out to seek professional mental health help because is she was out of showbusiness for any length of time, someone else would step into her place. Showbusiness must be one of the most cut throat areas of employment. You can't address mental health issues overnight, and there would be a queue of the usual tv faces climbing over each other to get Caroline's place on the shows.

The difference being that Ant McPartlin took/was obliged to take a year out, but the powers that be in the tv industry ensured that his spot was kept for him.

Reactions: 15
Then may

Then start by looking closer to home I know if my child god forbid ever attempted or did take their own lives I would as a mother blame myself for all I should could or would of done!

Ob
Obviously ! But to do it In such a spiteful public way when she has said this is what led her daughter to kill herself is unforgivable! She would have had plenty of time and advice as to what if anything to say to the officer, and she chose to say what she did to hurt and have upmost impact. On a human being that was after all just doing their job. And who in actual fact was doing what was right and lawful as Caroline even admitted her offence!There is absolutely no excuse for what she said and so so hypercritical imo!
Caroline’s mum is probably projecting when blaming the policewoman with such vitriol - I’m sure consciously she blames the police for taking it as far as they did but there will no doubt be a part of her that blames herself as well, just perhaps not as consciously. I can’t imagine you would ever stop thinking ‘what if’ or wondering what part of her development in early life or genes led to her mental health difficulties.

Reactions: 6
I'm aware of the incident report.
Why do we have trials and inquests at all if we can just read a police report 😕
Right, but you said this..

He wasn't sleeping, either. She woke him, confronted him and threw the phone. He said 'you're fucked' and the rest is history.
He publicly denied that she attacked him, too.
and I'm just wondering where this came from when the inquest seems only to have referenced her whacking him over the head when he was asleep.

Reactions: 3
I've been in an abusive relationship, my abuser often threatened suicide to me & his friends, and attempted it on more than one occasion, this was always when he didnt get his own way, or when he had done something wrong and needed to shift the blame. If our relationship had of been played out to the press like this has, id of looked like heartless and people would have said "he never should have been left alone in that state of vulnerability" but the fact is this probably happened on several occasions and being involved with someone threatening suicide in a pattern is emotionally draining for the people involved who also have families and lives to live, I'm sure they will be filled with regret and what ifs but really they probably exhausted all options. Sad for everyone involved.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
It was the mums chance to ask questions and make statements to those involved - of course she was going to be emotional. I cant even imagine the pain of losing a child. If she was screaming and roaring constantly, alright calm down, but it was her daughters inquest. She deserves a bit of slack.

Raising it from a caution to a charge was a bit weird, when the inspector said it was due to no admission of guilt.. but CF had repeatedly admitted it.
From what I’ve read, it appears she admitted it at the scene of the crime and then modified her version of events at the police station to minimise her crime - it went from a ‘whack’ on his head to a ‘flicking gesture to wake him up’. It was seen as her suggesting it was an accident, rather than an admission of assault.

Reactions: 7
I'm just wondering where this came from when the inquest seems only to have referenced her whacking him over the head when he was asleep.
I read the "you're fucked" bit in the Daily Star last night....

Strange how no other media outlets are reporting it that I've seen 🤔

From what I’ve read, it appears she admitted it at the scene of the crime and then modified her version of events at the police station to minimise her crime - it went from a ‘whack’ on his head to a ‘flicking gesture to wake him up’. It was seen as her suggesting it was an accident, rather than an admission of assault.
Admitted it when wildly drunk.

Downplayed/denied it when sober and with a solicitor.

In my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.