Candice Brathwaite #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She totally benefited from the BLM movement. Unfortunately she hasn't used it for any good and has simply conformed to the stereotype.
In what way has she conformed to the stereotype and which stereotype is this?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
In what way has she conformed to the stereotype and which stereotype is this?
The stereotype of angry black woman. When comes on insta yelling at people, or specifically, white women for finding her husband attractive.

The stereotype of angry black woman. When comes on insta yelling at people, or specifically, white women for finding her husband attractive.
Is there an angry white woman stereotype or is that honour just saved for women of colour and white women are just poor wallflowers?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
What context was she mad at WW for though? Was there a specific comment or an ongoing lusting orgy? 🤣 Like the comments would have to be pretty specific for her to accuse her followers of fetishizing black men. And don't we all have our own taste? Are white women not allowed to prefer black men if that's their taste? So many questions 😅

Is there an angry white woman stereotype or is that honour just saved for women of colour and white women are just poor wallflowers?
Yes I thought that was well established. Don't black women point this out all the time? Not saying either is fair but it's definitely a stereotype.

What context was she mad at WW for though? Was there a specific comment or an ongoing lusting orgy? 🤣 Like the comments would have to be pretty specific for her to accuse her followers of fetishizing black men. And don't we all have our own taste? Are white women not allowed to prefer black men if that's their taste? So many questions 😅

Yes I thought that was well established. Don't black women point this out all the time? Not saying either is fair but it's definitely a stereotype.
I think someone just nicely complimented him tbh and was met by her wrath. As a mixed race woman in a mixed race marriage raising mixed race children I don't like her behaviour and she does absolutely nothing for the cause.

It's pretty much reserved for black women.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

She’s done this on various occasions. Got on her high horse saying that white women fetishize black men/that mixed race relationships are just white women (and “light skinned WOC - yup she really said that) going after black men just to try to be PC and that they don’t genuinely have an attraction etc
She went off her rocker after Stormzy is 72 years old was headlining Glastonbury and there was chat online about him - lots of women (of all colours) saying they though he was hot etc and she was all up in arms basically trying to imply that he should only be spoken about in that way by black women and how dare where women find him attractive

She’s a lunatic.

• Heart
If you’re going to get your tits in a tangle for someone pointing out that angry black women is a stereotype then you didn’t pay a single bit of attention during the BLM movement. It’s a well known fact that black women are perceived that way, again not saying it’s right but it is the stereotype.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It’s not a stereotype it’s a trope. Black women have always & will always be perceived as being more aggressive *as a default*. They’re allowed to express anger as much as us, but theres will be demonised / made to appear scary or too much, whereas white women (like me) get the benefit of the doubt, or even complimented for being passionate?

There’s enough to criticise CB about without getting into the angry black woman tit. She’s allowed to be angry and it isn’t her fulfilling a stereotype 🥴 Tbh I find her gross secure the bag by any means behaviour worth chatting about, not this. I hope her sister and mum are alright too x

• Heart
Reactions: 19
It’s not a stereotype it’s a trope. Black women have always & will always be perceived as being more aggressive *as a default*. They’re allowed to express anger as much as us, but theres will be demonised / made to appear scary or too much, whereas white women (like me) get the benefit of the doubt, or even complimented for being passionate?

There’s enough to criticise CB about without getting into the angry black woman tit. She’s allowed to be angry and it isn’t her fulfilling a stereotype 🥴 Tbh I find her gross secure the bag by any means behaviour worth chatting about, not this. I hope her sister and mum are alright too x
Really well articulated.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Obviously she's allowed to be angry 🙄 just would resonate with people better if she wasn't so angry about white people fancying black people and berating her poor mother over social media.
I see very little of her promoting the blm movement and yet has profited massively from it although I pay very little attention to her these days so I will happily be corrected if people have seen otherwise.

Obviously she's allowed to be angry 🙄 just would resonate with people better if she wasn't so angry about white people fancying black people and berating her poor mother over social media.
I see very little of her promoting the blm movement and yet has profited massively from it although I pay very little attention to her these days so I will happily be corrected if people have seen otherwise.
Tbh I think the stuff she says about fetishisation doesn’t have origins in very true and very icky tit, tho she weaponises it WRT her husband as she’s so insecure? It’s a v nuanced convo I’m not able to have cos I’m white lol.

Shes not profited from BLM, sorry, she’s not out here making ghastly RIP George shirts on Etsy which is actual profiteering? She’s benefitted from brands being shooketh they only work with white influencers, yes, but do any of us criticise her white counterparts for profiteering off white supremacy ?? I rate influencers like vitamindproject who won’t work with brands that are just trying to plug that diversity gap and not do the proper work, but not everyone has such principles, or some people just need the cash 🤷🏻‍♀️ And personally don’t like the idea that every black woman with a platform needs to be an activist, we don’t expect it of other marginalised groups & it’s traumatising? She should be allowed to be as vacuous and greedy as the other Insta mamas (and be criticised for that) tbh?

I hope this doesn’t seem up her arse cos I’m not, just think there’s enough to criticise about her horrid yellow new build in zone 736 covered head to toe in that one roll of wallpaper 😷 without being... weirdos

• Heart
Tbh I think the stuff she says about fetishisation doesn’t have origins in very true and very icky tit, tho she weaponises it WRT her husband as she’s so insecure? It’s a v nuanced convo I’m not able to have cos I’m white lol.

Shes not profited from BLM, sorry, she’s not out here making ghastly RIP George shirts on Etsy which is actual profiteering? She’s benefitted from brands being shooketh they only work with white influencers, yes, but do any of us criticise her white counterparts for profiteering off white supremacy ?? I rate influencers like vitamindproject who won’t work with brands that are just trying to plug that diversity gap and not do the proper work, but not everyone has such principles, or some people just need the cash 🤷🏻‍♀️ And personally don’t like the idea that every black woman with a platform needs to be an activist, we don’t expect it of other marginalised groups & it’s traumatising? She should be allowed to be as vacuous and greedy as the other Insta mamas (and be criticised for that) tbh?

I hope this doesn’t seem up her arse cos I’m not, just think there’s enough to criticise about her horrid yellow new build in zone 736 covered head to toe in that one roll of wallpaper 😷 without being... weirdos
Yea I don’t like the rhetoric that black ppl are profiting off BLM either

I absolutely adore Africa (thevitamindproject) she’s amazing and so authentic.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
By profiting I don't mean selling George Floyd tshirts and other nonsense. I mean exactly as you say, brands have become aware and she is the go to black woman of the moment. Absolutely fine. And no not every black person needs to be shouting about the movement however with her, she appointed herself as the spokeswoman for racism so the least she could do is pay it forward. Maybe she is? I don't pay any attention since she tried to shame her mother on a social media platform. That is wrong whatever your colour.

Reactions: 8

And CW can be criticised for being grumpy and OTT without having to use the 'angry black woman' trope. Black women don't have to be holier than thou for the benefit of the white gaze.

• Heart
By profiting I don't mean selling George Floyd tshirts and other nonsense. I mean exactly as you say, brands have become aware and she is the go to black woman of the moment. Absolutely fine. And no not every black person needs to be shouting about the movement however with her, she appointed herself as the spokeswoman for racism so the least she could do is pay it forward. Maybe she is? I don't pay any attention since she tried to shame her mother on a social media platform. That is wrong whatever your colour.
I’m sorry to keep quoting you, I promise I’m not going after you, but I think this is a bit of a double standard.

Brands have been trash since the dawn of time. They’ve only ever worked with white skinny pretty influencers, because its ~aspirational. BLM’s surge into white British consciousness in June called this into question for the first time (imo?) and brands had to listen to criticism because white allyship became a thing (however temporary or performative it was) so brands were too scared to ignore it? Ergo, they bothered to include BAME influencers for once. This should have always been the norm tbh, it’s not that she’s had a leg up or suddenly been bestowed riches beyond her wildest dreams “because of BLM”, it meant that she was no longer being excluded on the basis of her skin colour? Yes there is more work for BAME influencers as a result of this, but taking that doesn’t mean profiteering it just means some work has gone into readdressing the uneven playing field between black & white influencers? With the latter previously hoovering up 100% of the work without a second thought as to how their privileges helped them do that? So whilst they’re not self flagellating over that I don’t expect BAME creators to have to watch hours of footage of horrific executions to do grid posts for us all to justify their presence advertising cornflakes and nappy rash creams?

And saying this I can also understand why she gives off those gross profiteering vibes, it’s her obsession with money and showing off things and talking about wealth, tbh? It’s a gross bastardisation of feminism that’s popular on Insta but would be seen as bleeping embarrassing outside of it, especially when you actually look at the facts which is you can get that car on lease for like £400 a month and she’s pretending to live in London still 🥴

• Heart
Yea I don’t like the rhetoric that black ppl are profiting off BLM either

I absolutely adore Africa (thevitamindproject) she’s amazing and so authentic.
Just here to say I love her too, she is amazing. Would love to buy her kids paw patrol outfits though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I think she is crass, obnoxious, loud, tacky and a sell out.

I think this about a lot of “influencers”.

The issue is with CB Is that , by her definitions and logic, having this opinion of her makes me privileged ,racist and enter the rants about white privilege and not understanding why she is all of those things.

It’s not about privilege or supremacy, it’s about not liking dickheads.

Reactions: 12
I’m sorry to keep quoting you, I promise I’m not going after you, but I think this is a bit of a double standard.

Brands have been trash since the dawn of time. They’ve only ever worked with white skinny pretty influencers, because its ~aspirational. BLM’s surge into white British consciousness in June called this into question for the first time (imo?) and brands had to listen to criticism because white allyship became a thing (however temporary or performative it was) so brands were too scared to ignore it? Ergo, they bothered to include BAME influencers for once. This should have always been the norm tbh, it’s not that she’s had a leg up or suddenly been bestowed riches beyond her wildest dreams “because of BLM”, it meant that she was no longer being excluded on the basis of her skin colour? Yes there is more work for BAME influencers as a result of this, but taking that doesn’t mean profiteering it just means some work has gone into readdressing the uneven playing field between black & white influencers? With the latter previously hoovering up 100% of the work without a second thought as to how their privileges helped them do that? So whilst they’re not self flagellating over that I don’t expect BAME creators to have to watch hours of footage of horrific executions to do grid posts for us all to justify their presence advertising cornflakes and nappy rash creams?

And saying this I can also understand why she gives off those gross profiteering vibes, it’s her obsession with money and showing off things and talking about wealth, tbh? It’s a gross bastardisation of feminism that’s popular on Insta but would be seen as bleeping embarrassing outside of it, especially when you actually look at the facts which is you can get that car on lease for like £400 a month and she’s pretending to live in London still 🥴
I totally get what you are saying and I agree with you. But I'm referring to her in particular. Instead of using her new found status (off the back of brands now being more aware) to pay it forward she uses it to mock mixed race relationships, when she could actually use it to help erase the stereotypes. Cuz as much as we on this thread see it as a stereotype there are thousands that don't. She's awful. She does zero for black people.

Reactions: 6
She’s done this on various occasions. Got on her high horse saying that white women fetishize black men/that mixed race relationships are just white women (and “light skinned WOC - yup she really said that) going after black men just to try to be PC and that they don’t genuinely have an attraction etc
She went off her rocker after Stormzy is 72 years old was headlining Glastonbury and there was chat online about him - lots of women (of all colours) saying they though he was hot etc and she was all up in arms basically trying to imply that he should only be spoken about in that way by black women and how dare where women find him attractive

She’s a lunatic.
God that's awful 😕 so insulting to Stormzy is 72 years old too. See, this is why I could be friends with somebody like Candice. I'd be a bag of nerves waiting for her to jump on me and accuse me of being racist. I don't know if it's insecurity on her part or she just likes playing games and going on weird power trips but I couldn't be around that kind of ticking time bomb bc eventually she will come for you if you have sort of differing opinions. Everything will be brought back to race. I don't believe she has any genuine friendships with white people bc she clearly has tarred us all with the one brush. And I'm not saying she hasn't been on the end if racism at all, let her speak to her experiences but from what I saw when I followed her she was always suspicious and that's definitely will have been unleashed after this summer.

I have friends of most skin tones and nationalities and there is none of that walking on egg shells around each other. We don't have to be so divisive.

What happened with her mum? (sorry, I'm out of the loop)

• Heart
I totally get what you are saying and I agree with you. But I'm referring to her in particular. Instead of using her new found status (off the back of brands now being more aware) to pay it forward she uses it to mock mixed race relationships, when she could actually use it to help erase the stereotypes. Cuz as much as we on this thread see it as a stereotype there are thousands that don't. She's awful. She does zero for black people.
Agreed, like someone can defs be problematic and not advocate for their own community or adjacent ones but also doesn’t deserve to suffer from the same old tropes themselves?

Tbh some of these comments (not yours) make me wonder if there would be the same beef with her if she was white 👀

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.