Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have any of you heard of Pku disease?
The adoption scene was painful, I'd say the daughter never forgave her. Definitely a story about Timothy coming.
All I know is that they test all new borns for it. It’s one of the routine tests. Diagnosis after birth and good medical care can stop the condition causing brain damage.

Reactions: 3
They still do the heel prick now, it looks barbaric but apparently doesn't hurt the baby. I had to Google too.

The adoption scene was painful, I'd say the daughter never forgave her. Definitely a story about Timothy coming.
I wa going to ask about the pku is that one of them you get checked for before now

Reactions: 1
The heel prick test at 5 days covers a few conditions such as sickle cell, cystic fibrosis and PKU as picking up these conditions as early as possible means the baby is more likely to get treatment as early as possible...

Reactions: 4
It's worth mentioning thay you can be tested to see if you carry the gene for cystic fibrosis before you even start conceiving. It's a recessive allele so both parents need to be carriers to risk baby inheriting it. I was tested when I was a teenager and am not a carrier and I have to say it was such a relief when I got pregnant to know I didn't need to worry about that potential risk.
If you have relatives with CF, ask your GP to refer you for testing, it's done on the NHS. My doctor initially said I had to wait until I wanted to start a family but I went to a different doctor and got it done (glad I did because my first was a surprise!). It's just a blood test so super simple.

I can't believe how the mum arranged for the baby to be whisked away like that, it's awful how bad the stigmas about unmarried/teenager mothers were in those days. My grandmother was a teen mum and her family were so ashamed her parents were going to have the baby adopted out and send her to Australia!

It's worth mentioning thay you can be tested to see if you carry the gene for cystic fibrosis before you even start conceiving. It's a recessive allele so both parents need to be carriers to risk baby inheriting it. I was tested when I was a teenager and am not a carrier and I have to say it was such a relief when I got pregnant to know I didn't need to worry about that potential risk.
If you have relatives with CF, ask your GP to refer you for testing, it's done on the NHS. My doctor initially said I had to wait until I wanted to start a family but I went to a different doctor and got it done (glad I did because my first was a surprise!). It's just a blood test so super simple.

I can't believe how the mum arranged for the baby to be whisked away like that, it's awful how bad the stigmas about unmarried/teenager mothers were in those days. My grandmother was a teen mum and her family were so ashamed her parents were going to have the baby adopted out and send her to Australia!
Aw no that reminds me of one of the earlier series where they had the storyline with the little boy who was badly neglected and cared for his sister's as his mum was out 'working', then they got sent off to Australia and they're there waving on the ship and you think they're finally getting a happy ever after and then the voice over reveals that life didn't get any better when they got there 😭😭😭 you honestly can't beat the early series for harrowing story lines that stick with you 😭😭😭

• Sad
Reactions: 11

My mum had a baby in her late teens in America, no one in her family knew she was pregnant. She had her adopted. I got too meet her a few years ago, she flew over to the UK. We keep in touch alot.

Were they actually allowed to just take your baby away like that? I know she was 16/17 but still?

Reactions: 1
Yes that was allowed. She had obviously signed the papers and arranged all whilst being pregnant.
I mean that maternity home looked OK and she was supposed to go back home, the real mother and baby homes were shocking. Check out Tuam.

Reactions: 2
I’m fully invested in Trixie and the widower and really hope she gets her happy ending. It was lovely to see more of Sister Julienne last night as well.

Reactions: 9
My mum was an unmarried mother in the mid-60s with me...... her parents sent her away to have me in a unmarried mothers home but after I was born her dad said she was allowed to bring me home and fortunately she was allowed to keep me - although I think my grandparents took over ... she met the man I call dad when I was very young and they got married and he's brought me up as his own..... I think for me I was so fortunate and also because it was out in the open and I always knew there were no wondering who my dad was etc..... this scenario could so of been me as my Grandmother was very much like that girls mother ..... 'controlling' !

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Aw no that reminds me of one of the earlier series where they had the storyline with the little boy who was badly neglected and cared for his sister's as his mum was out 'working', then they got sent off to Australia and they're there waving on the ship and you think they're finally getting a happy ever after and then the voice over reveals that life didn't get any better when they got there 😭😭😭 you honestly can't beat the early series for harrowing story lines that stick with you 😭😭😭
That episode was so sad...the baby needed a skin graft cos of nappy rash! The earlier series were the best and so heartbreaking some of the stories...

Reactions: 5
Did they have disposable nappies in 1966? Because Trixie said to that Dad that he could switch to using them? I’ve answered my own question they were invented in 1948 Pampers were introduced in 1961!

I had, I learnt about it in my degree. Very sad
However, and interesting fact that I now always look at is how often aspartame is listen VERY clearly on drinks etc. It’s converted to phenylalanine and those with PKU cannot consume it

I had, I learnt about it in my degree. Very sad
However, and interesting fact that I now always look at is how often aspartame is listen VERY clearly on drinks etc. It’s converted to phenylalanine and those with PKU cannot consume it
I googled it last night and saw the association with aspartame. I avoid fizzy drinks with this ingredient as I'm sure it gives me migraines and stomach issues.

Typical the one night I don’t bother watching. It sounds like I missed a good episode. IPlayer to the rescue.

I watched this recently, I'm working my way through the old episodes. Gutting. It's a very upfront depiction of abuse.
The baby gets adopted but the older kids go to Australia and they look so happy on the boat, and then that reveal in the narration. Terribly sad and probably accurate based on what I've heard about the migration of children to Oz.

Reactions: 6
There is a film called oranges and sunshine about the children from the child migration schemes who were sent to Australia. Its a good watch but very sad.

Reactions: 5
There is a film called oranges and sunshine about the children from the child migration schemes who were sent to Australia. Its a good watch but very sad.
I cant watch anymore sad films call the midwife is my sad tv programme Haha

• Haha
Thanks, I will definitely check it out. Children in institutional care is always heartbreaking :(

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.