Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nah, Mrs Buckle always has a glint in her eye and seems somewhat 'unsatisfied'. Cyril could provide some spiritual healing.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
You know all this bending the truth about social attitudes has made me wonder if the midwives were as nice to patients as they're played 🤔

Reactions: 8
Caught up with Sunday’s episode today and found the homosexuality storyline to be very poorly conceived and played out.

We are to believe a boy who has just turned 17 and still reads the Beano goes off to work in a hotel a virgin, and not only starts an active gay sex life but also becomes a gay prostitute?

That the mother who was so overcome with grief at the news that she is wailing and clawing at the door, is right as rain the next day with the only remorse being she’s let her son down? And the father, at his age and with his background/values would also be so accepting; and they all want him to find a nice loving male partner.

Also that despite Dr. Turner saying that the NHS treatment would be chemical castration, he is so progressive he recognises it is not an illness or a character flaw, and doesn’t advise against him having sex with men despite the present medical or legal risks?

The part that may have been more interesting and indeed still relevant today was the boy’s internal struggle and the seeking of conversion therapy, but that was skimmed over in about a minute and a half.

I think they just want things to be nice and cosy, and that is not what life is like now and it certainly was not in the East End in the 1950s/60s.

Reactions: 17
Caught up with Sunday’s episode today and found the homosexuality storyline to be very poorly conceived and played out.

We are to believe a boy who has just turned 17 and still reads the Beano goes off to work in a hotel a virgin, and not only starts an active gay sex life but also becomes a gay prostitute?

That the mother who was so overcome with grief at the news that she is wailing and clawing at the door, is right as rain the next day with the only remorse being she’s let her son down? And the father, at his age and with his background/values would also be so accepting; and they all want him to find a nice loving male partner.

Also that despite Dr. Turner saying that the NHS treatment would be chemical castration, he is so progressive he recognises it is not an illness or a character flaw, and doesn’t advise against him having sex with men despite the present medical or legal risks?

The part that may have been more interesting and indeed still relevant today was the boy’s internal struggle and the seeking of conversion therapy, but that was skimmed over in about a minute and a half.

I think they just want things to be nice and cosy, and that is not what life is like now and it certainly was not in the East End in the 1950s/60s.
All of this. I feel like every storyline is demonising people who subscribe to the societal norms of the time until our lord and saviour Dr Turner (and the midwives to a lesser extent) swoops in like a beacon of morality and sets them straight. Rinse and repeat. It’s SO cheesy.

Reactions: 10

When you break it down like that it is ridiculous. The clawing at the door though 🤣.

• Haha
Reactions: 6

Spot on. I can remember my Grandad was utterly disgusted when Julian Clary got a slot on The Price is Right and crossed the road to avoid a local gay man in case it was catching. That was completely normal in the way 80s so where the writer found this progressive little corner of 1960s London is fascinating.

Reactions: 6
Spot on. I can remember my Grandad was utterly disgusted when Julian Clary got a slot on The Price is Right and crossed the road to avoid a local gay man in case it was catching. That was completely normal in the way 80s so where the writer found this progressive little corner of 1960s London is fascinating.
Cloud cuckoo land.

Reactions: 4
They are applying the rules of today’s cancel culture on the norms of the day. They think that if they portray societal attitudes of the day so many people will complain to the BBC. But huge sections of society were racist homophobic misogynistic and to deny that makes the programme very worthy. 🤷‍♀️

It’s worth listening to the podcast of Fortunately where they interview Heidi Thomas. As they said about her - There was a woman who could talk! In the next episode they read out emails from listeners usually relating to the previous one. I’d love their take on the recent story. Available in the Sounds App.

Reactions: 1
They are applying the rules of today’s cancel culture on the norms of the day. They think that if they portray societal attitudes of the day so many people will complain to the BBC. But huge sections of society were racist homophobic misogynistic and to deny that makes the programme very worthy. 🤷‍♀️
The makers of Call the Midwife and the BBC must think that the viewers (especially the ones who lived through the 50's and 60's) have got selective amnesia. They're treating the viewers like idiots with their fairytale portrayal of an era which had a lot of prejudices.

Reactions: 8
I was thinking about Call the Midwife and I bet Stephen McGann probably thinks he actually is Dr Turner these days. He only has one acting job, so his whole year must be taken up with either filming or with his wife writing it.

• Haha
There were two ex coronation street actresses in tonight’s episode. Vera was played by the actor who was Kylie and the mean mum used to play Ashlies wife who was originally his nanny.

Reactions: 7
This was a good episode. I was really affected by the adoption scene and thought the acting from both young parents was amazing. Typical that Timothy passed his a-levels with flying colours 🙄 they’re turning him into a clone of his father, i really don’t enjoy seeing him trail after his dad... i think it would have been more enjoyable to see him fail and have to drag himself up a bit but then I’d be happy to see that smug look wiped off of Dr Turner’s face! When I saw Timothy knew the young father and was asking about him I really thought it was going to turn into some sordid secret thing where it turns out Timothy and the lad had been having a secret gay relationship somewhere down the line, unrealistic maybe but sue me for wanting to inject Timmy’s life with something interesting 😤
The one storyline I think they’re doing well with is the Trixie/fit widow dad storyline, I like that it’s slow and teased but it’s obvious that they’ll end up together! I also still like the trainee midwives and I know they’re trying to paint this Irish trainee as inexperienced and thinking she knows best but I LOVED seeing her ranting at Shelagh, Shelagh has fallen victim to the same ailment as Dr Turner where they’re both the simpering ‘can do no wrong’ type!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Have any of you heard of Pku disease?
The adoption scene was painful, I'd say the daughter never forgave her. Definitely a story about Timothy coming.

Reactions: 4
Have any of you heard of Pku disease?
The adoption scene was painful, I'd say the daughter never forgave her. Definitely a story about Timothy coming.
No, I had to Google it. I have had a baby & no idea why they had their heel pricked 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.