Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Really enjoyed the Christmas special and it was lovely to see Susan and her family back.

Reactions: 14
I’ll be honest I wasn’t expecting much but I really enjoyed last nights episode, hopefully the new series continues to be as good.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Dr Turner didn't annoy me at all last night!
I loved yesterday’s episode, just watched it. I adore Nurse Crane, she is definitely the one I would want to be friends with and have talk/get me through labour. Lucille, while very sweet and well-meaning would not call me « precious » after the first time! Mrs Turner was the one to annoy me with her speech to Rhoda ( Susan’s mum). It wasn’t preachy or sanctimonious, but it was a bit cliché, and I totally called what the baby’s name would be.
Sister Frances is also one of my favourite characters, she’s just sweet, kind and hardworking, basically a Hufflepuff/cinnamon roll who is too good and pure for this world but doesn’t realise it. I’m going to miss her!
Colette calling Nancy « Mum » in public took me by surprise, I didn’t think it was something that would be considered acceptable in the late 60’s. My parents lived together in the early to mid 1970’s before they were married in 1975 and had to pretend they were living separately when parents or relatives came round to visit! Although I think I remember Nancy being quite feisty and having it out with the teachers/Sister Julienne that she should be able to spend more time with Colette and that her being Colette’s mother should not be viewed as a shameful thing.
The proposal was wonderful, Trixie deserves so much happiness and I like how her alcoholism is a semi- constant plot point and that she is now in a place/position to help others.
The young lady released from prison, did they ever say what she was in for? Indecent exposure ( sex in public with boyfriend?) or solliciting are my guesses.
I wish Nurse Crane had been able to get the doctor’s secretary to do something else as her talent piece: singing a song, a Laurel and Hardy double act, telling jokes…

It was very good but the progressive attitude still irks me. The clergy and medical profession definitely were not. Why try to paint that picture? My grandmother was a midwife from this era she couldn't even marry until she gave up her profession.

It was very good but the progressive attitude still irks me. The clergy and medical profession definitely were not. Why try to paint that picture? My grandmother was a midwife from this era she couldn't even marry until she gave up her profession.
I think teachers were supposed to give up work too if they got married. And in the early 80’s, when my mum was pregnant with me, it was pretty much expected that she would give up work once I came along. She didn’t though!

Reactions: 6
I think teachers were supposed to give up work too if they got married. And in the early 80’s, when my mum was pregnant with me, it was pretty much expected that she would give up work once I came along. She didn’t though!
Teachers didn't have to give up work by then, my aunt didn't whereas her mum had had to 25 years earlier

Reactions: 3
When I say my grandmothers era she would have been well finished by the 60s, I'm guessing she would have been sister Julliens vintage. But its definitely been said she couldn't marry and continue her profession, she didn't marry until well into her 30s which was during the war. That makes me quite sad as she obviously loved it.
Perhaps Poplar was more progressive because it was such a melting pot.

Reactions: 1
When I say my grandmothers era she would have been well finished by the 60s, I'm guessing she would have been sister Julliens vintage. But its definitely been said she couldn't marry and continue her profession, she didn't marry until well into her 30s which was during the war. That makes me quite sad as she obviously loved it.
Perhaps Poplar was more progressive because it was such a melting pot.
It defo was a thing, my nan had to stop teaching in the 1930s (although started again during the war) but this is set in the late 60s now when things had changed a lot

Reactions: 2
My brother-in-law's great aunts refused to get married as they didn't want to stop teaching. This was quite scandalous, at the time. I think it was generally more 'middle class' professions that expected young women to give up work as factory workers were never expected to stop working

Reactions: 3
I really enjoyed that episode and I usually hate the Christmas ones 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I felt like the lady released from prison was a bit out of place this episode, a story for some filler. So much was happening already we didn't need another plot. Was her landlady actually being nice by kicking her out so she wouldn't lose the baby because her place is condemned? I couldn't tell if it was kindness or covering her butt, maybe a little bit of both. Also we're losing two of my favorites next season, such a bummer 😢

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.