Caitlin Moran #did not stay at home.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember when she tied herself up in knots justifying why she couldn’t get a rescue dog and had to buy from a breeder.
Ugh that article is so depressing. Is it meant to be funny? Nowhere anywhere mentioning wanting to give an animal a good and loving home, but all about what the poor creature can do for her. World revolving around Caitlin Moran as per usual.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
She had two cats, before the designer dog (the one looking depressed as buggery in the Times banner header this weekend). She wrote a FUNNY column about how one cat was a dumpy, plain but harmless little loving angel, but the other was a beautiful but stupid and evil, malicious shitbag that terrorised everyone and was impossible to love. Title: 'Why I hate my cat"

Couple of years later, the 'beautiful / stupid' cat was put to sleep. She wrote a TRAGIC REFLECTIVE column about how TRAGIC it was that her silly but so beautiful, oh-so-much-loved-by-her-and-everyone-else cat had died, all the SAD EMPTINESS in her house & her life, oh tragic pet death LOVE LOVE LOVE. I can't tell whether she just never remembers what she wrote herself five minutes ago & what version of her made-up life & feelings she was faking for column inches - or whether she assumes everyone who reads her bollocks is too thick to recall any of it from week to week.

Links for anyone with a Times subscription -

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-i-hate-my-cat-80bw9kz35tn
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caitlin-moran-a-death-in-the-family-98f8nqf80

I really do pity any animal that has to live with her, including the human ones.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
So do we think she will a) have the gall to clap for the NHS and b) have even bigger gall to tweet about it?

Reactions: 3
I remember when she tied herself up in knots justifying why she couldn’t get a rescue dog and had to buy from a breeder.
This article is horrible. Ugh, just when I thought she couldn’t go down in my estimations any further

(Thank you for sharing it though! We take the Times but I don’t remember it)

Reactions: 2
If you want to give yourself a delicious case of the squits, read this 1994 piece by Hunter Davies in the Indy, on the ‘precocious talent’ that was Moran at 19:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/interview-atrocious-mess-precocious-mind-meet-caitlin-moran-newspaper-columnist-television-presenter-1436595.html

I grew up in a family that were dirt-poor working class on both sides for as far back as anyone can remember, and the idea of having uncashed cheques lying about - let alone being so cavalier about money that you could lose not one, but three ‘big’ cheques in the bohemian squalor of your own home - is such bullshit. If she grew up legit poor I’m a man with three buttocks.

I also wonder if her boyfriend ’Taylor‘ in the article is actually Pete ‘Takis’ Paphides? “Taylor is a pop-music writer, but not doing quite as well as Caitlin....”

• Sick
Reactions: 22
I also wonder if her boyfriend ’Taylor‘ in the article is actually Pete ‘Takis’ Paphides? “Taylor is a pop-music writer, but not doing quite as well as Caitlin....”
It's Taylor Parkes. I think now writes for the Quietus and sometimes on sport.

Reactions: 5
If you want to give yourself a delicious case of the squits, read this 1994 piece by Hunter Davies in the Indy, on the ‘precocious talent’ that was Moran at 19:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/interview-atrocious-mess-precocious-mind-meet-caitlin-moran-newspaper-columnist-television-presenter-1436595.html

I grew up in a family that were dirt-poor working class on both sides for as far back as anyone can remember, and the idea of having uncashed cheques lying about - let alone being so cavalier about money that you could lose not one, but three ‘big’ cheques in the bohemian squalor of your own home - is such bullshit. If she grew up legit poor I’m a man with three buttocks.

Was Taylor one of the crappy men she wrote about in her novel or memoir, ?(hard to remember which is which)

Thanks for the link, interesting read. The beginning sounded so much like the Caitlin Moran of today I was in disbelief. After the first few paragraphs that changed and morphed into the very young, precocious and ambitious 1994 version.

This paragraph in particular tho, I’m sure is verbatim a story she still tells in in k terviews

“She was christened Catherine but later changed it to Caitlin. 'I have two stories. One is that I was studying numerology at the time, which gives numbers for letters and you work out how lucky you are going to be in life by the numbers, and I found Caitlin is luckier than Catherine. The other is that I was reading Jilly Cooper's Riders. She has a pretty girl called Caitlin who gets all the boys with names like Hugo and Archie.'”

It’s strange how on the one hand she’s obsessed with self mythologising and certain even at 19 she wanted to project a specific image of herself in the public consciousness- one highly contrived and romanticised.But at the same time, her currently self is hyper aware and manipulative of her image she’s somehow also entirely lacking self awareness of how to maintain credibility. Does she not realise repeating the same stories after a while draws attention to their artifice, and she has been chipping away at her own creation for years now by becoming a satire of herself , or a barbie with three sentences....

Other observations from the article, don’t know the writer but wow didn’t certain lines date it: “not as plump as on television” and “Any other ambitions achieved, petal?” 🤢
Forget the working class struggle, this made me feel sorry for her, navigating an industry that talked to women in print like that ... face to face must have been pretty revolting. It kind of explains her loud bolshy attitude to- inevitable to survive. And hats off to her, writing a column for the observer at 19 is a fantastic achievement.

Not that she doesn’t seem annoying too; but she also seems just very young, and not as clever as she thinks she is. In a way it’s mlre likeable than what she has become.

Finally this seemed a fitting quote to end on, How indeed Caitlin

“I'm seeing the editor of a Sunday newspaper this afternoon. I know she'll offer me mega-bucks to do an opinion column, but I don't want that. I don't like opinion journalism. Anyway, how can you have 52 opinions a year?

Reactions: 16
Yes, Taylor Parkes is "Courtney" in "How To Be A Girl" and he gets fairly skewered. I'm sure he was a dick in fairness.

I agree re the sexism. Hunter Davies is about 100 years old but still, it was only the 1990s.

Reactions: 4
Does she not realise repeating the same stories after a while draws attention to their artifice, and she has been chipping away at her own creation for years now by becoming a satire of herself , or a barbie with three sentences....
Yep...and it sounds as if the novel and tv script mentioned in the piece are what ended up being rehashed and published twenty years on.

She only tells stories from when she was 19. It's a strange viewpoint of this is what I did, this is what I knew, this is what I learnt, but it stops the day she gets married, and a discrete, middle class veil gets drawn over the next 20 years. Then she goes over the same old stories again, and again, and again...

Reactions: 12
Limmy streaming after the CM/Paphides/pissingthroughastraw/#prayforlimmyscock incident. Talks a bit about it from 42 mins, 15
Trigger warning jokey descriptions of extreme violence, if that's not your thing.

Doesn't look like the original article is still online, this is the closest thing I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2

I can’t :ROFLMAO: This is the biggest load of bullshit I have ever read! What bleeping planet does she live on?

I feel very ‘seen’ by this thread. I was probably the ideal candidate for CM - I remember coming across her in my late teens, I am working class and loved feminist literature as a teen. Even then I remember thinking how bleeping simple and smug she appeared to be. Literally the only tidbit I remember from her book was ‘all dresses look cool with sheer black tights and black boots’. Groundbreaking.

I’ve got issues with her racism, but besides that - she actually considers herself a working-class voice? Dear God. There has been some fantastic television about working class families, someone mentioned Daisy May Cooper. Suggest CM watch This Country for tips on how to write working class authenticity and, err, jokes.

The older I get, the less I want to hear from media-type self-styled feminists. When I think about the women who embody feminist values for me - strength, uplifting girls, compassion - I’ve never heard them call themselves feminists. Feminist isn’t something you call yourself, it’s how you behave. I also have an issue with CM’s constantly slovenly attitude and how she belittles women for choices regarding as too feminine. I grew up in an extremely chaotic, dirty, unhealthy home. As a result I love ‘gentle’ activities like gardening, baking and housework. No doubt CM would consider me a traitor to the cause, despite having dragged myself out of poverty 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Oh Caitlin
I really hate when other people and I hate that it is usually women attack people for wanting to put effort into their health and stay slim!? Like if you are happy with your body then fantastic but I am aware that the little bit of weight I carry on my stomach is putting me a risk for health problems and I would like to solve that.
I get that headlines like get your bikini body can make women feel the have to look a certain way but you don’t! Do what you want! I’ll work on me the way I want to and you work on you the way you want to.

Also the holier than thou attitude because she used to be working class is bs. How much of it comes from no longer being working class? I doubt she would be romanticising poverty if she was still in it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.