Caitlin Moran #did not stay at home.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Unfortunately she seems to be an empty vessel. I used to be a fan of hers but she quickly began to grate. The final straw was her completely vacuous interview on Desert Island Discs. Kirsty young is such a great interviewer and did her best to explore the deeper aspects of Caitlin’s personality, but she doesn’t seem to have any depth at all. She plumbs her council estate childhood for cheap laughs without revealing any pathos. Her desert island discs was so dull. She’s a loud mouth, and not much else.
Yes her Desert Island Discs was so dull wasn't it? You are so right about the lack of depth as she seems completely one note. You could play Caitlin Moran bingo with that DID, no surprises, just the same trotted out patter she always comes out with, fat kid in odd clothes, no friends as she was too 'wierd', bookworm, crazy household etc etc etc. All quite interesting if you heard it once or twice but she seems to have based her whole adult life around it too (at least the parts she shows in public obviously). The insistence on appearing quirky at all costs has become so predictable.

Reactions: 20
Someone definitely needs to come out with CM bingo.

I'll kick off :
- I'm mad me. MAD.​
- Did you know I was home-schooled?​
- And lived in a council house?​
- And there were 8 of us?​
- With loads of dogs?​
- That's why I'm such a wacky iconoclast!​
- Did I mention being a teen music journalist sensation?​
And so on and so forth

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Good start, but NEEDS MORE CAPSLOCK otherwise HOW will anyone KNOW when I’m being AMUSING AND WACKY! xxxx So:

- I’m WORKING CLASS
- I grew up in WOLVERHAMPTON (ps don’t ever mention Brighton, that might make us sound less than AUTHENTICALLY WORKING CLASS)
- we had NO MONEY growing up but were such naturally gifted kids, we just endlessly entertained ourselves every day [subtext: we were JUST LIKE THE BRONTES but with telly and a lot more refined sugar in our diets HAHA!!]
- Libraries are THE ONLY THING poor people really NEED to lead contented rich successful lives LIKE ME!
- Women who remove any hair from their bodies are BRAINWASHED TRAITORS TO FEMINISM (what do you mean, ‘what about Islam and fitra’? Does that affect WHITE RICH NORTH LONDON WOMEN like ME? BLOCKING YOU NOW.
- [blocking]
- [blocking]
- quick, tweet something about an ADORABLE DOGGO those thickoes will instantly forget the bit where I was A BIT tit
- really, though I live in a huge four-storey house in NORTH LONDON and have holidayed in LUXURY all around the world FOR YEARS subsidised by the Times, the only place I feel truly at home is in a caravan parked on the outskirts of Aberystwyth.

... etc

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
Good start, but NEEDS MORE CAPSLOCK otherwise HOW will anyone KNOW when I’m being AMUSING AND WACKY! xxxx So:

- I’m WORKING CLASS
- I grew up in WOLVERHAMPTON (ps don’t ever mention Brighton, that might make us sound less than AUTHENTICALLY WORKING CLASS)
- we had NO MONEY growing up but were such naturally gifted kids, we just endlessly entertained ourselves every day [subtext: we were JUST LIKE THE BRONTES but with telly and a lot more refined sugar in our diets HAHA!!]
- Libraries are THE ONLY THING poor people really NEED to lead contented rich successful lives LIKE ME!
- Women who remove any hair from their bodies are BRAINWASHED TRAITORS TO FEMINISM (what do you mean, ‘what about Islam and fitra’? Does that affect WHITE RICH NORTH LONDON WOMEN like ME? BLOCKING YOU NOW.
- [blocking]
- [blocking]
- quick, tweet something about an ADORABLE DOGGO those thickoes will instantly forget the bit where I was A BIT tit
- really, though I live in a huge four-storey house in NORTH LONDON and have holidayed in LUXURY all around the world FOR YEARS subsidised by the Times, the only place I feel truly at home is in a caravan parked on the outskirts of Aberystwyth.

... etc
Brilliant 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
She must have the thickest skin ever - commenting on clapping for ethnic minority NHS staff. Unbelievable.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I've just seen the trailer for her new film. Looks crap. Also I'm gonna be a complete cow but what the eff is her style all about?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I remember her saying that Raised By Wolves was the only sitcom by/about working class people. LOL. I hope Daisy May Cooper isn't friends with her.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15

- I’m WORKING CLASS
- [blocking]
- [blocking]

... etc
This is perfection. Love it!

Reactions: 5
She seems to have ridden out the storm of being a Lockdown hypocrite.

Some people have no shame and she’s one of them.

• Angry
Reactions: 11
She seems to have ridden out the storm of being a Lockdown hypocrite.

Some people have no shame and she’s one of them.
Galling isn't it? I just hope people have long memories and this is regularly wheeled out as an uncomfortable reminder to her. And blue tickers still scratch their heads over why 'horrible' places like Tattle exist 😂 . So people like her can't constantly gaslight their gullible followers and the ones that buy her books with 'oh no that never happened'. Or her favourite get out clause for bad behaviour - 'everybody was a dick back then'.

Reactions: 21
(Confession time! I didn’t know Tattle existed until I followed a link from Twitter today. That’s my plans for Bank Holiday slobbing out with a good book ruined then, thanks!)

I’ve hated CM for years, she’s the anti-poster-child for everything she pretends to be a perfect example of. Wish I’d kept the column where she bragged that all a woman needed to prove her self-worth was being able to waddle into work because her man had given her such a good seeing to the night before.

In interviews she’s said that both parents were on disability benefits, and (in other interviews) that her dad played in pub bands most nights. Not sure how that squares up! Or how two parents too disabled to work have the stamina, let alone the money, to breed German Shepherd Dogs & have 14 of them at the same time. It’s all very curious.
Surely these 14 dogs needed walking, or did they get the kids to do it? Very irresponsible!

Reactions: 6

- I’m WORKING CLASS
- [blocking]
- [blocking]

... etc
Nailed it!

What’s the thing about Brighton? Did she live there? It’s pretty hard to grow up working class in Wolves and not have any trace of an accent. I should know, I’m from Birmingham.

Reactions: 8
Completely agree that once you’ve read or heard one Caitlin Moran interview you’ve heard them all. To a quite ludicrous extent as demonstrated by the strength of the satire above. I was / am a fan and admirer of hers but it pretty unimpressive when someone who’s brand is all about having a loud voice and a way with words is so repetitive - it comes across so generic and contrived.

To add to that I saw the twitter lockdown drama. Again, it felt like such an exposure of her persona. I would already find it annoying for her to play the working class card claiming it’s “easy” from her nice house with a big garden in muswell hill. Try staying indoors in a 6th floor council flat on a 25 degree day with four other people ? A bit of awareness of how class impacts the lockdown experience would have been appreciated from someone claiming to be such a working class hero. But then to find out she was flouting it herself is a bit of a joke. Not because it’s not hard for everyone, but she gets paid big bucks by the times to entertain and relate to her audience, not talk down to and deceive them.

Reactions: 28
I think of Caitlin Moran as my gateway drug to feminism, like BodyPump is to powerlifting. The minute you read any actual feminist theory you realise what a daft cow she actually is.

The entire north London media set drive me insane: as someone mentioned above, they've experienced unfathomable privilege for far longer than they lived in or adjacent to poverty. Nothing they have to say could relate to more than about 4% of the population.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
I think of Caitlin Moran as my gateway drug to feminism, like BodyPump is to powerlifting. The minute you read any actual feminist theory you realise what a daft cow she actually is.

The entire north London media set drive me insane: as someone mentioned above, they've experienced unfathomable privilege for far longer than they lived in or adjacent to poverty. Nothing they have to say could relate to more than about 4% of the population.
I agree. I used to like her, she's funny and while the endless banging on about her origins is tedious, it *is* vanishingly rare for anyone outside the privileged wealthy circle to get a foothold in broadsheet journalism. Unpaid internships have made it even rarer. But look at Janice Turner in the Times, whose mother was a cleaner. She's Caitlin's age and brings her own life experience to her journalism, she does it in a quiet way without managing to make herself the centre of every story or cultivating a wacky persona. There's something really lazy about CM, she has a fine brain but she goes for the cheap laughs every time - I thinks she could have been a decent journo if it wasn't for the neediness and the attention seeking.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.