Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's her natural color b/c she can't go to the stylist I think. She used to say "because my hair is quite blond...blah, blah" in earlier vlogs and I was always like, you aren't a blond, you are mousy brown which turns blond quite easily with *chemical* assistance. Nothing wrong with that, it's a little thing, but something she does quite regularly in different forms. The photo stretching to make her legs much longer to a ridiculous degree etc.
She probably saw Lizzy's ridiculous leg stretching and wanted to join in. I could just about tale the leg stretching, if she didn't emphasise at any given time how petite she is and that her hemlines are always being redone by her tailor.

I think in the last vlog she is starting to realize a few things - like she realizes the bookshelves don't need to be filled etc. The collaboration prospect is interesting with H&M (well she said it's a sister brand to Arket so maybe it's COS or And Other Stories)? I thought she was going to focus on supporting sustainable, slow, clean fashion? Oh well, I suppose right now, it's hard to be picky. She should pipe down about that stuff if she doesn't want to appear duplicitous maybe. The offers she will get for "collaborations" will be from larger companies who green wash at best. It's a hard and non-lucrative road to be a true activist about fashion and being anti-consumption while being a regular vlogger is an oxymoronic enterprise. Not that it isn't possible, just not if you want to make money.

I wonder if she is reading this? Surely not? Why put yourself through that? But she made a point of saying how boring she is (to get clamoring comments that she is not?) and the bookshelves don't need to be filled. I notice she has an ACNE magazine with Fran Lebowitz on the cover. That's from 2012. I highly doubt she knew who Fran was at that time. I did, because I'm old and I'm from NY (well, I'm English but I lived there for 15 years). I highly doubt she's read it, it looks pristine. It's the only one, just kind of lying there as if in a retail shop, not a home. She has a lot of "rules". Books can't be behind glass. Barrister bookshelves were made with glass to protect books. And who the heck cares? The glass doors are very "IKEA" though, I would remove them too.

There are general design concepts for sure that she probably picked up on when she was a visual merchandiser but they are meant to broken in my view - just a guideline. The overriding anxiety she has at home, which is hers alone and she can do what she wants with is on volume 11. No wonder she feels tired with all the work she has to do for the collaboration project. I'm not doubting that those projects are quite arduous. This why they (influencers) get paid so well - not as much as all the people collectively but far, far more than you would get working as one for a brand (usually, unless you're a big name). The company that hires you knows this and willing to pay that amount b/c it is actually cheaper for them.

And for influencers it is much leaner than going through all the red tape and opinions and meetings of a corporation. And they get something fresh. But, the stylist, prop manager, all those things she says she doesn't have, they don't get paid like you do at all. Them's the breaks babes you want the big bucks, you work hard. She could hire Dean (looks like she does already though, for free, LOL). To be fair, I don't think she is meaning to whine but it's not really easy to listen to and she should be aware this doesn't endear. A little bit is okay and human and relatable to an EXTENT but a whole vlog of "oh the pandemic, oh the work, oh my anxiety" well, you don't do that at a job, and this is a job (I sound like my mum now).

Someone earlier said she is really bringing something unique to style. Take a look at https://www.instagram.com/nordicstylereport/?hl=en (nordic style report). EVERY single apartment/flat on there is almost a carbon copy of hers. No joke, the sofa, the style of the apartment, the chairs, the fireplaces everything. Also, her look is pretty much the same. Except she is a scandi minfluencer crossed with Margaret Howell. A mixed breed of sorts with a little Korean (which is essentially knock offs of Celine and Scandi style proportioned for shorter folks - sorry Korea, there is more, I'm speaking of the brands BB likes). She is a fusion, but it's not radically different.

I quite like her mix. Scandinavian design by itself bores me to tears. She could do with a bit more British insouciance. We, as a country, make fashion more irreverent, interesting and fun. We bring the party to the snore-ee good taste of the continent/Scandinavia. She does have something, but I wouldn't go as far to say it is terribly unique. It's extremely trendy - not high street trendy, but of a certain mileau. They all remind me of the son in Schitt's Creek - you know when he's looking for his first job and he says "trend researcher or art curating? I've been told I have really good taste" Hahahahhahahaha!

I did trend research for 6 years and loved it - but it's a difficult job to get and I had 15+ years experience plus writing, plus being in the right place at the right time and the amount of people who thought my job was easy - well, when they tried to do it, they just regurgitated what was at stores already, out there and their inspiration boards were a mess. I would research history, art, science, all kinds of stuff to arrive at palettes and emerging trends. And it was an obsession that I worked 16 hours a day at (and loved it) - it's a job that's disappearing rapidly though. Only a few companies left that do it well and make money.

There's my novel for the week. I did break it up a bit this time. LOL. xo

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I think in the last vlog she is starting to realize a few things - like she realizes the bookshelves don't need to be filled etc. The collaboration prospect is interesting with H&M (well she said it's a sister brand to Arket so maybe it's COS or And Other Stories)? I thought she was going to focus on supporting sustainable, slow, clean fashion? Oh well, I suppose right now, it's hard to be picky. She should pipe down about that stuff if she doesn't want to appear duplicitous maybe. The offers she will get for "collaborations" will be from larger companies who green wash at best. It's a hard and non-lucrative road to be a true activist about fashion and being anti-consumption while being a regular vlogger is an oxymoronic enterprise. Not that it isn't possible, just not if you want to make money.

I wonder if she is reading this? Surely not? Why put yourself through that? But she made a point of saying how boring she is (to get clamoring comments that she is not?) and the bookshelves don't need to be filled. I notice she has an ACNE magazine with Fran Lebowitz on the cover. That's from 2012. I highly doubt she knew who Fran was at that time. I did, because I'm old and I'm from NY (well, I'm English but I lived there for 15 years). I highly doubt she's read it, it looks pristine. It's the only one, just kind of lying there as if in a retail shop, not a home. She has a lot of "rules". Books can't be behind glass. Barrister bookshelves were made with glass to protect books. And who the heck cares? The glass doors are very "IKEA" though, I would remove them too.

There are general design concepts for sure that she probably picked up on when she was a visual merchandiser but they are meant to broken in my view - just a guideline. The overriding anxiety she has at home, which is hers alone and she can do what she wants with is on volume 11. No wonder she feels tired with all the work she has to do for the collaboration project. I'm not doubting that those projects are quite arduous. This why they (influencers) get paid so well - not as much as all the people collectively but far, far more than you would get working as one for a brand (usually, unless you're a big name). The company that hires you knows this and willing to pay that amount b/c it is actually cheaper for them.

And for influencers it is much leaner than going through all the red tape and opinions and meetings of a corporation. And they get something fresh. But, the stylist, prop manager, all those things she says she doesn't have, they don't get paid like you do at all. Them's the breaks babes you want the big bucks, you work hard. She could hire Dean (looks like she does already though, for free, LOL). To be fair, I don't think she is meaning to whine but it's not really easy to listen to and she should be aware this doesn't endear. A little bit is okay and human and relatable to an EXTENT but a whole vlog of "oh the pandemic, oh the work, oh my anxiety" well, you don't do that at a job, and this is a job (I sound like my mum now).

Someone earlier said she is really bringing something unique to style. Take a look at https://www.instagram.com/nordicstylereport/?hl=en (nordic style report). EVERY single apartment/flat on there is almost a carbon copy of hers. No joke, the sofa, the style of the apartment, the chairs, the fireplaces everything. Also, her look is pretty much the same. Except she is a scandi minfluencer crossed with Margaret Howell. A mixed breed of sorts with a little Korean (which is essentially knock offs of Celine and Scandi style proportioned for shorter folks - sorry Korea, there is more, I'm speaking of the brands BB likes). She is a fusion, but it's not radically different.

I quite like her mix. Scandinavian design by itself bores me to tears. She could do with a bit more British insouciance. We, as a country, make fashion more irreverent, interesting and fun. We bring the party to the snore-ee good taste of the continent/Scandinavia. She does have something, but I wouldn't go as far to say it is terribly unique. It's extremely trendy - not high street trendy, but of a certain mileau. They all remind me of the son in Schitt's Creek - you know when he's looking for his first job and he says "trend researcher or art curating? I've been told I have really good taste" Hahahahhahahaha!

I did trend research for 6 years and loved it - but it's a difficult job to get and I had 15+ years experience plus writing, plus being in the right place at the right time and the amount of people who thought my job was easy - well, when they tried to do it, they just regurgitated what was at stores already, out there and their inspiration boards were a mess. I would research history, art, science, all kinds of stuff to arrive at palettes and emerging trends. And it was an obsession that I worked 16 hours a day at (and loved it) - it's a job that's disappearing rapidly though. Only a few companies left that do it well and make money.

I love the way you write ! it’s as if you can read my mind I love the theory behind trends I find it fascinating and I like BB but think that she has no originality whatsoever I see other women twice her age being so more creative I would love your job I don’t work in any fashion / trend industry but I’m in my 50s so have lived experience 🙈 xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5

A bit off topic but I love the way you write, even if it's long text it's still very clear and concise and by reading just these few words from you I can tell you have a ton of knowledge and experience - I don't know what you do exactly, but you should go into writing a blog or a book or some sort of magazine, maybe style reviews? I know I would enjoy reading!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
A bit off topic but I love the way you write, even if it's long text it's still very clear and concise and by reading just these few words from you I can tell you have a ton of knowledge and experience - I don't know what you do exactly, but you should go into writing a blog or a book or some sort of magazine, maybe style reviews? I know I would enjoy reading!
I second this! I thought immediately, I'd read a blog/newsletter/anything by you @brerwhabbit - and always, thanks for contributing so thoughtfully on these topics.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I second this! I thought immediately, I'd read a blog/newsletter/anything by you @brerwhabbit - and always, thanks for contributing so thoughtfully on these topics.
You guys are so sweet. Thank you for making my day xo

Aww, thank you ever so much. I was very chuffed to read this.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Such amazing insight!!
If you ever decide to write a blog, please share it here! If there are any websites or articles that delve into the almost scientific way of the way we dress, i'd love for you to share if you know of any x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I accidentally went to @sophia_roe on IG and was like, damn, this girl is so gorgeous and cool and.. a chef? Aw man, wrong person. Went to @sophiaroe and of course it was a thin white lady and boring black and white photos. Disappointingly, it made a lot more sense.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I accidentally went to @sophia_roe on IG and was like, damn, this girl is so gorgeous and cool and.. a chef? Aw man, wrong person. Went to @sophiaroe and of course it was a thin white lady and boring black and white photos. Disappointingly, it made a lot more sense.
LOL <3

Guys, this girl isn't an influencer and it shows. If she was she would have not much to talk about :) So I'm not saying Brittany should be more like this. Well no, I am saying she would be way better if she was more like this, but then she wouldn't be an influencer. I know, I know, she's beautiful but it's more than that (persist, you'll see, there is some irritating posing but...). This video inspired me because 1/ She's not just a pretty face 2/ She doesn't have a load of stuff 3/ She's interesting and has talent - look at the drawings, OMG 4/ Even though she clearly doesn't have a lot of stuff she has fun with things like SHOES 5/ She has some profound philosophical thoughts about fashion (really). I thought you might enjoy. It's in French but you can put the subtitles on!

I love the jeans with the chain at the waist. And this is how you wear a neckerchief (why can the French do it so well and we English look like dorks?).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Brittany, Sophia Roe and COS all managed by same management - Patriksson Group. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Hmm I’d like to know how BB finds COS clothes fitting? COS is not made for short people, and let’s be real, how many of us shorty have the time and money to bring it to the tailor for alteration?

• Haha
Hmm I’d like to know how BB finds COS clothes fitting? COS is not made for short people, and let’s be real, how many of us shorty have the time and money to bring it to the tailor for alteration?
Yes! And even if you bring to a tailor, the types of shapes BB favors are not conducive to much tailoring. And the expense and time who has the wherewithal? I don't anymore. Merely shortening the sleeves or the hem throws all the proportions out of whack. The clothes really need to be unpicked and flat pattern re-cut. Very few alterations folks have the skills or are going to bother with that and that would probably cost more than the clothes themselves. That's probably partially why she loves Asian clothing brands (beyond aesthetics). They are made for a much shorter (in general, as an average) population.

Once you get past an inch or so on the hem things can go pear shaped (literally, LOL) quickly. Like when she had a pair of trousers taken in at the back rise and the pockets ended up being super close together. Or if you look at some of the oversized trenches she wears, she has had the sleeves shortened or done it herself and it looks very wide at the wrist (they are wide, but not that wide, generally it tapered a bit before). I don't think she quite gets this, thinks she can just get huge things altered. Well, not really.

I might notice this stuff more b/c at the beginning of my fashion career I worked in technical design fitting clothes on a fit model and sending back comments and alterations that needed to be made. COS doesn't specialize in her shape/ height for sure. It would eat into their (H&M) profits. And, I think she actually likes very few items from COS. Probably the ones that are knock offs of brands like Lemaire.They tend to get a bit arty farty older mum sometimes. Not in a Prue Leith way (too colourful) but sort of Prue Leith if she was minimalist. Very eloquent of me I know. Hahaha. You know, the woman who goes to art openings and wears cool reading glasses (nothing wrong with that, just not what she's aiming for I reckon). There are a lot of things I like but also many things I'm just like hmmm, no. Ha.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Does anyone remember when Dean had his tools stolen and they started a crowdfunder? I messaged her and said I thought it was a bit tone deaf to expect other people to replace them out of their pockets when they are so privileged and got blocked. I still think it’s really cheeky they did that!
Did she not address why they weren't claiming on their house insurance??

Sorry I realise this is very late to ask, and they thread has moved on. that is why I hate those crowdfunding pages. They started off with only the most deserving people in desperate need, and now have people taking advantage of others goodwill.

Did she not address why they weren't claiming on their house insurance??

Sorry I realise this is very late to ask, and they thread has moved on. that is why I hate those crowdfunding pages. They started off with only the most deserving people in desperate need, and now have people taking advantage of others goodwill.
This was quite a long time ago but as I recall they couldn’t claim hence the crowdfunder. Who does that?! Ask the viewers to replace their boyfriends tools?!

This was quite a long time ago but as I recall they couldn’t claim hence the crowdfunder. Who does that?! Ask the viewers to replace their boyfriends tools?!
this is disgusting, particularly as we've seen BB doing up their house, buying expensive homewares and going on expensive holidays. their family could have helped pay for the tools if they really couldn't afford to replace them themselves

Reactions: 9
this is disgusting, particularly as we've seen BB doing up their house, buying expensive homewares and going on expensive holidays. their family could have helped pay for the tools if they really couldn't afford to replace them themselves
Also, contents insurance or if they were for work a separate insurance covering that. They wouldn't have even had to pay out, just claim on their policy??? (Surely!)

I don't know ther fiances. maybe they couldn't afford insurance or to replace things that got stolen. But if you've got the money to buy a house and renovate it, then you can afford to replace the tools or ask your family to help replace them (bcause let's face it they probably had help from family to buy it). You don't ask your followers to pay for that!

I do remember this happening but it was years ago and when BB was still working at the white company and she didn’t have much following but it was mainly Dean asking because he had his van stolen with his tool inside and he could’nt work without tools.

I really liked her intro to this weeks vlog, she seemed a lot more upbeat this week. Maybe the start of easing lockdown has helped

I do remember this happening but it was years ago and when BB was still working at the white company and she didn’t have much following but it was mainly Dean asking because he had his van stolen with his tool inside and he could’nt work without tools.
Claim on insurance then? ask your friends and family to help out? It's gross asking strangers on the internet to fund the costs of living for you.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.