Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In her latest IG post, she's tagged Whistles on a leather/faux leather? jacket. She's said before she's not a 'leather jacket person' and Whistles is hardly our Brittany's aesthetic. Is there another unlikely paid partnership on the horizon :rolleyes:

• Angry
Reactions: 3
In her latest IG post, she's tagged Whistles on a leather/faux leather? jacket. She's said before she's not a 'leather jacket person' and Whistles is hardly our Brittany's aesthetic. Is there another unlikely paid partnership on the horizon :rolleyes:
don't you just adore the contrast between her concern that donations to ukraine might be wasteful and her personal actions 🤡 what's next? getting sponsored by tesco? bet she will claim to be the biggest fan of both whistles and leather jackets

also, since anna copies brittany, are we going to witness whistles' rise from ashes, time travelling back to 2014?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I think she didn’t actually mean that things are going to waste, but more that that’s not what people need now. Here charities have been urging people to stop donating clothing. It’s money they need.

Reactions: 2
another video that is essentially a haul of things she's yet to buy but will. I also can't help but feel it's a way for her to mention brands in teh hopes they contact her. she's showing her insane levels of perfectionism again. struggling to "embrace" the wrinkles of a worn in coat. give it a break!

interesting to see her finally talk about vintage / secondhand clothing..... she'll definitely approach it from a pretentious perspective. no charity shopping for BB! she'll be on websites looking for designer pieces and paying the same price as if they were new. bizarre.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Aha. Now we know why BB has suddenly taken a drive down Pre-Loved Avenue. She is doing Ads with Vestiaire on her Stories. Should've predicted this, eh?

Reactions: 5
Do you guys like any of the vintage things she's picked up? I feel like she's blinded by the label,

I liked the pants she had tailored. Those are cool, but that Hermes shirt? I can find better at my local charity shop. The coat is okay on camera but it needs a lot of revision in the sleeves (which she said). I do like the color and it does fit her shoulders. But again, she has so many. It's hardly exciting.

There's some awesome vintage out there with history. In the Mango thing she was scripted to talk about the trench which was interesting and also funny b/c she didn't know or care to know anything about trenches before. I remember her asking what a part of the trench was called but then ignored all those comments and continued to not use the correct words.

Delving into the history of some of the looks she "curates" would actually provide some depth to her. This minimalist thing ain't new at all. If she looked at Calvin Klein in the late 80's and Halston, Helmut Lang, even Chanel (much earlier). Jil Sander, Demeulemeester, Margiela in the 1990's. If she mixed those things (and not the reboots but less ubiquitous styles) in it would be cool as tit.

But instead she goes with other hipster wannabes who create little trendy curated collections of 90's Levis (most of which aren't 90's at all, I worked for the company and anything made in Mexico is 2000 on). She can't step outside of the youth bubble of her contemporaries. There are so many women (and men) who are older who own GREAT vintage services and shops who do YouTube and have online shops.

This where she falls down into her own "wanting to be in the in crowd" insecurity. She isn't a trailblazer but follows on the heels of, copies, perfects. But she could be. It just would take effort and being a bit braver. She thinks this is braver. It's exactly what everyone is doing and likely the result of her being offered a job for one of the big services (Vestaire etc).

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
There are so many women (and men) who are older who own GREAT vintage services and shops who do YouTube and have online shops.
Oh I’d love to follow these folks! Please share their names/channels if you’d like 🙏

Reactions: 1
Oh I’d love to follow these folks! Please share their names/channels if you’d like 🙏
I'll preface this by saying - BB is nothing like these channels and doesn't focus on fashion history or vintage.

Obviously they are VERY different, but every single person listed is authentically stylish and knowledgeable because they put in the work.

There aren't many people talking about the roots of minimalism on YouTube and she could interject that here and there and add dimension to her videos that her peers lack - using people like this as a resource to develop an overarching knowledge base from which to speak.

Instead of waiting for a national exhibit, or trailing Dean on his purchase of art books, go develop familiarity and language about design separately. Case in point is her Noguchi lamp she bought and "unboxed" speaking nothing of Noguchi until over a year later there was a Noguchi exhibit at the Tate and then she learned about it (it was clear she knew nothing before, not that she just wasn't saying it, she just bought it b/c it's a mid century icon). She doesn't have to know everything, that's fine, but even knowledge about other designers will improve how she speaks about recently found items she loves (new or vintage).

Anyhoo! Without further ado (saying that in jest, I detest that saying 😂 ), here is a list that is bolded and weird b/c it's posted from my notes app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWdhln7SGc
Hamish Bowles visits Francois Auget

In part of this Hamish talks about the 5 easy pieces of Claire McCardell who was really one of the most influential designers in American sportswear despite not getting the cred. Much of what the minimalists wear are Claire McCardell-esque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1onghWFKGzg

Doris Raymond - owner of “The Way we Wore” Los Angeles vintage store - legendary knowledge

She’s a maximalist and a bit of a mess (being frank - a bit of a crazy aunt look and not in a good way) and probably dismissed by the likes of BB but she isn’t by the industry - she’s renowned for her knowledge. Granted this video is not minimalist/ BB's style but I enjoyed this about Amy Winehouse’s wardrobe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouFRQGl_A0I&t=212s

This isn’t a channel but a video on Cecily Hansen who owns Decades of Fashion shop in Haight Ashbury San Francisco and she’s awesome.

I love that she says “If I hear 80’s one more time…ugh”

I bet she says that about 90’s too - not so much the period just everyone thinking they are being original but, in fact, just following the trends fed to them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Gh2n9kPuA

Sample from StyleLikeU channel about fashion that sees no boundaries regarding age, disability, sexuality - I LOVE this channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=albFvXRhor4&list=PL-KvVPxvMrSV7-gSr87UWo0n5sTkhqMKq&index=8

Karolina Żebrowska - she focuses mostly on fashion history before 1960 but also talks extensively about sociological issues related to fashion and how we present ourselves and how we are evaluated by others/sexism. She’s absolutely brilliant.

I linked this video which isn’t really representative of her videos b/c it gives you a list of other you tubers that are focused on vintage.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
This video is the one in which Hamish Bowles discusses McCardell and American fashion history in general, including the 90s and minimalism - I linked a different one by mistake (part of his VintageBowles series which is also good).

• Heart
Reactions: 4
the 7 outfits BB shared i her latest vlog were really 3 outfits with slightly different trousers..... 🙄 they all looked the same to me.

Reactions: 9
the 7 outfits BB shared i her latest vlog were really 3 outfits with slightly different trousers..... 🙄 they all looked the same to me.
Her description of the first outfit was puzzling, I don't think one needs an outfit to "wear when you have the doors open to the garden and chill and enjoy the breeze from indoors"

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Her description of the first outfit was puzzling, I don't think one needs an outfit to "wear when you have the doors open to the garden and chill and enjoy the breeze from indoors"
you need 1 outfit for when the door is open, 1 for when it's closed, another one for when it's the window that you have opened and one more for when the windows are shut 🤠 fashuuun baby

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I only know if there is a new vlog from you guys because you all are so much more entertaining and I am not subscribed anymore to the piffle. But then I end up watching the piffle to understand the comments on tattle.

LOL. What have I become?

Haven't watched yet because I took a glance at the comments (the YouTube ones, i.e. the sychophantics) and saw "11/10" and "I love a good neck scarf" and felt the urge to retch so thought, nope, I'll watch it later, maybe. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I only know if there is a new vlog from you guys because you all are so much more entertaining and I am not subscribed anymore to the piffle. But then I end up watching the piffle to understand the comments on tattle.

LOL. What have I become?

Haven't watched yet because I took a glance at the comments (the YouTube ones, i.e. the sychophantics) and saw "11/10" and "I love a good neck scarf" and felt the urge to retch so thought, nope, I'll watch it later, maybe. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah that 11/10 comment is stunning.

• Haha
Reactions: 3