Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Peonyrose

VIP Member
What did you read about him, that makes him so unlikeable?
---

When we were still discussing on the Primrose Hill-thread, someone less naive as me said, most of the screenshots are fake, also that T-shirt, that he might have gifted the girl.
Being together with someone significantly younger I‘m very much not a fan of, but it’s not a crime.
With his ex, we have her Insta-postings around domestic abuse by an ex and something about being with a narcissist. Yet Graham as well posted something about being with a narcissist, or liked some posts or sth.
I’m a feminist and usually all about believing women. But it’s all a bit vague for me. I don’t know.
Just that he is very competitive and dismissive of people. Justine hinted that he was controlling as well, telling her she should give up the band and become a mother. He is also one of those people who can smoke, drink and take drugs but not become addicted, whereas everyone else around him become shells of themselves. I just get the feeling he is a difficult person but an absolute genius at the same time.

Reactions: 12

filthycop

saw Pulp the other week... amazingly good

Teenge son loves al the Brit Pop stuff and tells me 'you so lucky you were around then'

Loved it all and love the memories and the bands and the fesitvals

Longpigs much underrated...

oldjamfan

VIP Member
The new Blur album was released yesterday. I’ve played it through twice so far and it is pretty good. Damon’s output across all of his projects is incredible really.
Speaking of which I can’t come on a Britpop thread and not mention Paul Weller. Apart from obviously being a fan for a long time (hence my username!), he carried the baton from the 60s to the 70s, 80s and 90s and is still rocking it all these years later at the age of 65. A genuine tour de force, releasing relevant new music and still ace in a live setting.

Ocean Colour Scene were my other favourite band of the Britpop era. Although they did get a bit ‘samey’ after 3 or 4 albums.

Someone mentioned Richard Ashcroft earlier in the thread. I thought he would have gone on to be a bigger star than he did, he had everything.

I still wear my Trim Trabbs and Sambas to gigs, and am of an age where I was really glad to see guitar bands return in that ‘Britpop’ era. The press had a field day with the old Oasis v Blur thing didn’t they, but there was obviously much more to the genre than that.

Anyway I’m off to spin The Ballad of Darren for the third time. Have a great weekend everyone ✌🏻and ❤

• Heart

PinkandTwinkly

On the coat trend once around 16 (1997) I spent the next few years in the worst coats I could go from the charity shops

Jeans, band tee, superstars and a ratty old seventies afghan coat
With one of those army surplus back packs covered in badges

Small town 😂

• Haha

mee43

VIP Member
Hadn't thought of the Gorillaz thing, that's a good point and there was the DM piece this weekend that seemed a bit like their usual 'saying stuff without saying stuff'. That being said, if that was the reason his ex gave him the boot, I doubt she'd have gone to the gig. I really hope it isn't him.
The DM has been running those little pieces on him for a while now, and I thought they were implying that he was back on drugs. Maybe it’s as “simple” as one partner not being prepared to put up with the other’s addiction any more?
If he has had an affair I’d be beyond shocked, not to mention really sad, if that popbitch piece was referring to him. I just don’t see him being like that.
But, really, who knows, where celebs are concerned 🤷‍♀️ 😞

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
*Sniffy early Britpop was more forward looking anyway.
This, a million times! I loved Suede and These Animal Men and Elastica and all the other bands that only half-made it who were a bit spiky and camp and snotty. The Oasis ladrock stuff I can take or leave.

FunkyMonkey

Chatty Member
Anyone who is going to Pulps remaining tour dates is in for SUCH a treat, we saw them in Sheffield last Friday, absolutely amazing gig 🤩

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I imagine Morriss' wife was probs sick of his shagging other women and treating her like shit (triangulation).

I've been reading the Mansun subreddit. Ye gods, it is quite awful (complete with potential Paul sockpuppet).

Peonyrose

VIP Member
I was raging I wasn’t able to see Pulp in June when they played Dublin, as I was working and dont live in Dublin, but I got to see Blur in Malahide Castle and it was just the best gig. Damon seemed off his face though🤣 It was just a sea of forty plus year olds and no phones in the air. Pure nostalgia.
This has unlocked a memory of an Oasis t-shirt I had-white with black piping on the sleeves and logo was black, I thought it was the shit! I also loved OCS and saw them in 1999 at a festival. Excuse me, I am just going to go have a cry about my lost youth😭😭😭

• Haha
I heard an acoustic version of Parklife on the radio today, with Damon doing the Phil Daniels parts and the rest of the band adding shouty harmonies. I'd never heard that before.
We just finished watching “House of the Dragon” and every tine Phil Daniels pops up all I hear in my head is “Parklife”.

• Haha
It didn’t help that I bought all mine small In the first place.

What colour were your gazelles? Mine were green and I bought them from a hyper market in France on a day trip!
Purple and orange Gazelles. - the only thing that I still have from the 1990s that still fit me (although even they feel a bit snug) and bought on a trip to London to celebrate leaving Uni. Went to see The Frank and Walters in them and got beer spilled on them first time of wearing but the support act for that gig were some no marks called Radiohead

• Haha
  • Heart

jazzmonster

Chatty Member
Just that he is very competitive and dismissive of people. Justine hinted that he was controlling as well, telling her she should give up the band and become a mother. He is also one of those people who can smoke, drink and take drugs but not become addicted, whereas everyone else around him become shells of themselves. I just get the feeling he is a difficult person but an absolute genius at the same time.
He seemed desperate to become a father back then, and his last partner became pregnant very early in the relationship. Given that it was so quick I’m impressed they stayed together for 25 years.

Dizzy

VIP Member
I was raging I wasn’t able to see Pulp in June when they played Dublin, as I was working and dont live in Dublin, but I got to see Blur in Malahide Castle and it was just the best gig. Damon seemed off his face though🤣 It was just a sea of forty plus year olds and no phones in the air. Pure nostalgia.
This has unlocked a memory of an Oasis t-shirt I had-white with black piping on the sleeves and logo was black, I thought it was the shit! I also loved OCS and saw them in 1999 at a festival. Excuse me, I am just going to go have a cry about my lost youth😭😭😭
OCS are supporting Richard Ashcroft at the gig I’m going to this afternoon 🙌🏻

• Heart

Peonyrose

VIP Member
In Ireland it was the German army parka that the cool kids wore…I lived in mine. I wonder where it went.

A

A Nike jacket isn’t working class, a no brand copy is. A Nike jacket is ‘street wear’. Certainly the case in the 90’s.😀
Go tell my mum. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Tell my mum too 🤣 I absolutely nagged mine for a Berghaus jacket and mine were absolutely skint but just saved for them as they were value for money but super dear then. I'm in my forties now and still have the waterproof outside bit (it is *snug*) 🤣

• Haha

this_n_that

I was in absolute LOVE with the whole 80s/90s shoegaze era that preceded Brit Pop. Ride, Lush, My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins and The Jesus and Mary Chain to name a few. They just don't make music like they used to 😭
I absolutely love My Bloody Valentine, the Loveless album is one of my favourites. Its interesting how none of those bands tried to cash in on people's nostalgia like Blur, Primal Scream, Oasis etc etc. They were a bit too good and pure.

• Heart

Heyholetsgo

VIP Member
Saw Blur about 13 years ago in Hyde Park in the first kind of "reunion" shows. Would have loved to have seen Pulp the other week. Love the Divine Comedy too, always makes me smile when I hear the National Express! Didn't they do the Father Ted music too? Or I might have made that up!

When I stayed in Iceland we were staying next door to Damon Alburns bar and it was always packed out! We didn't go in though as I was pregnant and knackered 😅