Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Peonyrose

VIP Member
It didn’t help that I bought all mine small In the first place.

What colour were your gazelles? Mine were green and I bought them from a hyper market in France on a day trip!
I actually had two pairs of Adidas Campus-black and navy plus the Doc Martens of course. One day I’d be Blur in my tight Adidas t-shirt and flared jeans (bottom hems cut off-naturally), the next Oasis in my army parka and DM’s🤣I had no loyalty just kept listening to whatever music I liked, and of course, whichever boy I fancied.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13

MissHavisham

VIP Member
Ah this is amazing. Loved that magazine so much and I think I bought every edition from 1992 onwards. I randomly clicked on one cover and a PWEI article came up. Not a Britpop musician as such but Clint Mansell's career path must surely be one of the most unexpected of all British indie musicians from that time. From Brummie grebo to esteemed Hollywood composer. Stills blows my mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

orpheus

I was quite fond of Sleeper back in the day. Not so much now but I still admire Louise Wener. I think they played a few shows this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
I seem to remember that the Stove thing was one of those things sort of 'known' within the Mansun community and a quick google seems to bring up a bit of reference to it (and doesn't seem to have been denied by the others). My friend and I used to ring their phone number for fans thing and it was always him who replied 🤣
---
I think Richey most likely died by suicide :(
There were stories like that about their first drummer, The Hib.

I saw Mansun a couple of times in the '90s and they were a good live band. Paul Draper had very little connection with the audience, sometimes performed with his back to us and almost never spoke, but the music was great and he could sing, so we let him off. Chad was a bit weird - I remember he was dribbling on himself at one gig - but Stove was always there with a cheeky wink or a smile. The first time I saw them, Embrace were supporting and they were crap. I think it was Rialto the second time and they were brilliant.

Super Furry Animals didn't really connect with their audience either. I found them overrated after seeing them live.

Another band that get written off are Shed Seven. They were brilliant live and always had good chat with the crowd. Echobelly too, and Longpigs.

• Heart
I really need to listen to the new Blur album but I find it really difficult to set time aside to listen to 'new' stuff, no idea why as I work from home! My younger self would be most disappointed.

Not quite in the same vein, but Stove from Mansun robbed all of their cash, which is allegedly why he was sacked. It was a shame as he was actually the nicest member! I was fairly Mansun obsessed 🤣.

Very much in the same vein is Paul Draper, so many rumours about him, including the fact that the Anchoress has a Stalking Protection Order against him. SPO's are pretty underused by most Police forces as they're tricky to obtain sometimes, so there must have been a lot of evidence.

• Wow

TheRockingReverend

All two lines before his character gets shot!
Trying to think of more films you could call Britpop movies. I think the resurgence of the cheeky Cockney gangster film was related to the whole Cool Britannia thing.
Loving this thread - that era from around 1995 to 1999 was an amazing period. The final party before technology consumed us all - no mobiles, internet in it's early stages, TV you either stayed in for (yeah right!) or had to video and glorious music. Pub culture was still a thing, you could still go to gigs and see bands who may actually make the big time, and that summer of '96 with the Euro's was glorious (I'm not even a football fan but how could you not get swept up in it).

It was a bit of a renaissance for British cinema – although it was a bit, the good, the bad and the ugly!

Good mention of ‘Face’ – a bit of a forgotten Brit crime film which is better than it deserves to be. Who remembers ¾ of All Saints in edgy (well it was an 18) film ‘Honest’? Then there was Shooting Fish, Small Faces, Divorcing Jack, Brassed Of, East is East, Nil By Mouth, Love, Honour and Obey, Shopping – oh there was a ton of them!

Yeh the crowd seemed pretty lame towards blur at coachella. Felt really bad for blur as they were giving it loads… they’re amazing live. Crowd gave zero back to the band. Anyone see Damon’s justifiable minor diva moment where he said to the crowd that “that you won’t be seeing us again, you may as well f*cking sing along” 😂 it did make me chuckle!

• Haha

WestSideIsDaBest

I overheard my teen son talking to his friend. They are heavily into indie music, Brit pop etc. it’s been great going to gigs with them and reliving it with them.
Anyway, I digress.
the conversation went, how friend hates hearing the phrase Brit pop. Things aren’t Brit pop. It’s not a cool phrase or a good description apparently. It’s meaningless and is just indie.
I was like

“what!”
“You werent there, you didn’t see the evolution, how it came to be”

She’s wrong. But she won’t have it.
Teens, they think they know everything.

• Haha

Dizzy

VIP Member
On the tail end of Britpop but I’m going to see Richard Ashcroft tomorrow and cannot freakin’ wait!

• Heart

Cáca_Milis

VIP Member
I think Blur were as 'laddy' as I got tbh 🤣. All about the androgyny here so it was Suede and Mansun all the way until I discovered early Manics through Design for Life era Manics.
I wonder what ever happened to Ritchie Edwards. Boyfriend of mine in the early 90s was a massive fan of theirs. He was gutted when Edwards disappeared.

With The Stone Roses’ Second Coming, I was too young to have known about them before, so I had no expectations, and loved it.

With Dog Man Star, there’s an interview with Kele Okereke from Bloc Party where weirdly his experience of that album is so like mine, except I didn’t have many albums and won this one in a competition.

But like him, I hated it at first 🤣 and kept on listening, because I just had this little collection, and then, like he says, it seeps into you.

View attachment 2340927
---

I love that level of pettiness! 🤣
Oh yes, mainly because I had a boyfriend who loved them, who I dumped as he demanded I went over to see him the night before T in the Park and I wanted to get myself some rest before the festival, so he got binned and then I cried for a week when I got back It did mean I was free to cop off with a very nice young man instead though so get it up ye, Roses lad 💅

• Haha

Sir Lancelot

VIP Member
As far as Brit Pop goes, Slide Away by Oasis is one of the best songs of all time nevermind just the '90s.

• Heart

CrystalViolet

Did anyone here ever see Elastica live?
Yes! I saw them twice, once in the Hop and Grape which Is now Academy 3 I think in MCR and once at the Hacienda with Powder (I like Pearl but they weren't good).
supporting. These gigs both 94, they only had enough tunes for a 35 minute set 😅 The Hacienda sounds like an amazing place to see a band but the pillars everywhere blocked the view and the sound was shite.

All the Super Furries chat has reminded me of the tank they bought and customised and took to Reading and the giant pandas in 96 for Radiator. I think McGee was intoxicated with Oasis cash and spent it on some important stuff 🤣

• Haha
Velvet blazer, rolled up jeans and docs here!

And my mad fat diary could have been me!! Overweight, outsider teen, childhood sweetheart was fit and I thought he was too good for me, stone roses t shirts, converse, denim skirts, depression and anxiety and of course, the best fucking tunes on my Walkman!!

• Heart
brett anderson was a crack addict. i think he did do a lot of heroin as well. a lot of people blame justine for their addictions but both of them would have been addicts without her
I never realised it was crack he was on, that feels really seedy for some reason (as is heroin obvs). I remember him being on the front of NME, having lost weight on a 'brown rice diet' and begging my mum to let me exist on the same, which she did, knowing I'd last a day. Little did I know, eh. Maybe I should have asked her if the crack/heroin diet was OK 😳

jazzmonster

Chatty Member
Corduroy flares, V-neck woolly jumpers with huge shirt collars poking out from underneath, Adidas Campus, a short bob and 60s style liquid eyeliner. It was quite a sight for the village. 😂

• Haha
There's also the tired narrative that a woman is to blame. As though a junkie wouldn't be able to get it without her. Jesus 🙄🙄🙄
Same with other women around that time in the 1990s. Donna Matthews from Elastica got flak for it and I think also Pearl Lowe and Courtney Love. Seems women who took drugs were deemed to be far worse.