Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No that's not right at all. The EU allowed visa free travel between countries. It certainly still had restrictions! After 90 days/3months EU members visiting another EU country usually had to register.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to move to any EU country to live, work, study, look for a job or retire.

You can stay in another EU country for up to 3 months without registering there but you may need to report your presence. The only requirement is to hold a valid national identity card or passport. If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you may need to register your residence.

In many EU countries, you need to carry an identity card or passport with you at all times. In these countries, you could be fined or temporarily detained if you leave your identity documents at home - but you cannot be forced to return to your home country for this reason alone.
You literally only need an EU passport though if anyone asks after 90 days.

On a British passport now, as opposed to before, if you exceed the rules you need a visa or permit. I know of people who work within travel sector who are struggling with this.

Apart from the things who haven't changed, do you see avantages to be outside of the EU so far in your life, like concrete things? Maybe too early?

As for me in the EU, I don't see any change (good or bad) but I didn't travel back to the UK since.
Only most Marks and Spencer in Paris left in 2021, but they weren't exactly a thing and shelves were quite empty last time I checked.

You literally only need an EU passport though if anyone asks after 90 days.

On a British passport now, as opposed to before, if you exceed the rules you need a visa or permit. I know of people who work within travel sector who are struggling with this.
My other half worked ski seasons in Europe for five years. Now the company he worked for have massively reduced their operations because it’s so much more difficult to bring British staff out, and they now prioritise their summer workers for jobs over people who just do the winter - like my other half - so he wasn’t able to get a job last season. They only hired their existing summer staff for winter jobs or people with EU passports. They were struggling for staff in the last couple of months and STILL my OH couldn’t get a job because he doesn’t have an EU passport. He’s trying to go down a different route this winter and apply for a seasonal workers permit, but previously he could literally have just gone to France and got a job in a bar and rented an apartment for the winter with zero issues and it’s just not possible now.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Andrew Neil in the mail today, quite a few things I disagree with but can definitely see another eurozone crisis starting once the cold weather comes.

ANDREW NEIL: Remainers bemoan the state of Brexit Britain, but it's the EU that's staring into the abyss

Remainers continue to bemoan the supposedly sad state of Brexit Britain. They have a point. Even many true Brexiteer believers admit that, so far, it has hardly lived up to what was promised.

But if these same Remainers cast an honest eye across the Channel to their beloved European Union, they’d soon realise it is in an even worse state than we are.

Not that this is any great consolation. Six years after that famous Brexit referendum, the EU remains by far our biggest export market for our goods and services. If things go wrong there, they go wrong here. And the EU is about to go very badly wrong.

It is now on the brink of recession and another Eurozone currency crisis looms. It’s a double whammy that will be all the more painful and prolonged because of President Putin’s mounting blackmail over Russian energy supplies, which threatens to condemn Europe’s major economies to a slump.

Reactions: 2
Energy crisis is everywhere, isn't it? And it has already started before the Ukraine crises, prices rising and all. Some like Germany are more impacted because they are very dependant on Russia gaz. France is doing better because of the importance of (local) nuclear electricity.

I don't get the "look, it could be worse there" to reassure yourself. Like when the Brexiters used to say that other UE countries would follow Britain and leave soon. Just do your thing lol

Energy crisis is everywhere, isn't it? And it has already started before the Ukraine crises, prices rising and all. Some like Germany are more impacted because they are very dependant on Russia gaz. France is doing better because of the importance of (local) nuclear electricity.

I don't get the "look, it could be worse there" to reassure yourself. Like when the Brexiters used to say that other UE countries would follow Britain and leave soon. Just do your thing lol
I'm sure I read France is the only EU country that can sustain itself .Germany decided against nuclear energy and voted to shut down their power stations in 2019 the Russians have really thrown the EU a curve ball , they've bitten off their nose to spite their face when they have no plan B as far as energy is concerned .

I wonder how the US will react once the full Brexit is finally done
37818B0B-1D31-4EF8-90D0-16A994B20AAB.jpeg

EU prices on the forecourt atm 18% on sterling
2FAE731C-D381-4BEA-BED5-46F75FFFE018.jpeg

I’m so lucky to live 5 mins from the EU 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Will it improve? the divorce bill has already increased by 10 billion

• Haha
Reactions: 5
The bill has increased because of a pandemic and war in Europe. Absurd to blame the leave side for not foreseeing those two events 🤪. Remainders so keep n happy everytime it doesn't go well are something to behold.

The bill has increased because of a pandemic and war in Europe. Absurd to blame the leave side for not foreseeing those two events 🤪. Remainders so keep n happy everytime it doesn't go well are something to behold.
The man in the street is only interested in a good deal for their families we’re not seeing that yet.

Reactions: 1
Well that's obvious. But nothing to do with complaining that the leave campaign didn't foresee events that no one foresaw. There's plenty of real things to complain about brexit without stooping to bad politics to blame them for the knock on effects of a pandemic and war in Europe.

I knew that leavers would blame the pandemic as soon as it started :LOL: they will never ever admit that Brexit has only made things more expensive and put more barriers in place in terms of trade, travel etc. They will always blame something else rather than see it for what it is.

Reactions: 6
At least remainers have not tried to blame everything on brexit even where it's obvious war and pandemic affected it. They can really take the moral high ground 🤣

I knew that leavers would blame the pandemic as soon as it started :LOL: they will never ever admit that Brexit has only made things more expensive and put more barriers in place in terms of trade, travel etc. They will always blame something else rather than see it for what it is.
Covid was a gift to Boris Johnson it gave him an excuse to cover his arse on the disaster that Brexit has been.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
And one that has done nothing to attract said people ,by the time they cut through the red tape they realize it’s not worth the hassle when they have free movement throughout the EU , better pay for less hours.

At least remainers have not tried to blame everything on brexit even where it's obvious war and pandemic affected it. They can really take the moral high ground 🤣
Never heard a single remainer just throw the blame towards brexit where the war or pandemic could have had an effected a situation, in my experience remainers can articulate their points well without mud slinging and belittling the other side. Brexiters will always scrape around for nonsensical excuses and pious putdowns rather than admit the reality is that we aren't more prosperous and life isn't better outside of the EU. I desperately hoped to be proven wrong after the result of the brexit vote, and I am yet to hear a single argument to show me how we are better off.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Covid was a gift to Boris Johnson it gave him an excuse to cover his arse on the disaster that Brexit has been.
Covid has been just as much of a gift to the remainers who are salivating at the mess and want to blame brexit for everything.

• Haha
It is a mess ,the EU is even picking up the pieces of the UK's disasterous health system , cutting the 20yr waits .

Reactions: 3