Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
What worries me is what will happen come the day of the "divorce"?

It reminds me of the Millennium Bug back in 1999. I was only 2 years old then, but I've since read about the global panic that come 1st January 2000 a lot of computers & computer-dependent equipment around the world will crash because software wasn't programmed to cope with the near millennial year! But I think people were made aware of this bug in good time and did something about reducing the impact.

However, with Brexit, what happens to things like passports, driving licences, exchange rates, EU currency, investments in EU companies? What about EU laws that bind the UK to the EU? Will they be rescinded come "Brexit Day"? Will the divorce happen gradually over weeks and months?

No one seems to know, and we're just not prepared for the switch over.
Isn't that what this transitional year was supposed to be used for, to not only try and reach a deal but also address what will happen with investments, passports and movement of people. What will be the rights of EU citizens in the UK once January 1st hits?

We don't seem to be any further forward than what we were at the beginning of the year.

Reactions: 2

Yel

Chatty Member
That glass eel story sure does tick the boxes to get something going viral. Loads on my feed have posted it.

But I wonder if all is not as it seems?

Doesn't seem to add up; someone who exported solely to the EU and received EU funding voted brexit is now worried that it will affect him? 🤨 Something seems fishy or he's really not with it.

In 2012 we moved to our current site supported by the European Fisheries Fund

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
Oy yeah, Bob Geldof - what a two-faced James Hunt he is :mad:

Gotta say I won't be sad to leave this Brexit shitstorm as of tomorrow. The politicians who were involved in this charade deserve to be stood up against a wall and shot regardless of political allegiances.

But never fear - they will move on to better things while the mugs face the consequences for the next 'x' number of years

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
The first couple of lines of your post is my fear we depend on a lot of American investment where I'm from ,it just so happens we're stuck with Boris too ,but I agree with you that's why I wish they'd hurry up and decide one way or the other ...That's if the whole Cummings thing is not another spin to make Boris look better in whatever decision he arrives at.
Well, I shall give it my utmost consideration while I visit my local pub in the next few minutes, and enjoy a couple of drinks and a nice curry.

Cheers!:)

• Haha

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
From what the press reported a couple of nights ago the Tories have told Boris to stand firm or lose all backing ,so he must be doing what he's told .It's a shame as so many businesses will be lost once the new tariffs come in to effect in the New Year .
Boris kills businesses during lockdown
Boris <could> kill businesses post Brexit

is he going for a hat-trick of business failures before walking away!?

Romy

VIP Member
What is the point of negotiating with someone who doesn't respect his engagements? And how is it good for the UK image upon future economic negotiations (whoever is the possible partner)?

monga

VIP Member
It's infuriating, it really is. Where has the respect gone for the country as a whole and the environment of this country? We all have to live here. It looks horrendous to see these stories, which no doubt will be reported globally. I despise most of our politicians, I really do.
It’s awful, people are falling ill from it .I didn’t realise there was such a big campaign going on ,it’s not something we hear much about .

Blueballs

The bill has increased because of a pandemic and war in Europe. Absurd to blame the leave side for not foreseeing those two events 🤪. Remainders so keep n happy everytime it doesn't go well are something to behold.

Romy

VIP Member
So far we are a million miles ahead of the EU with vaccinations and been able to stop sanitry products being taxed as non essential, so that's a couple of positives of Brexit already.
Sanity tax has nothing to do with the EU. Actually, I am from a working class background and I discovered "period poverty" issue in the British newspapers, astonished it could be a problem in a rich country like Britain.
As for the covid vaccine, it's only a few weeks' difference. And most people are in no rush. The worst is France. Only 4 of ten people want to get vaccinated against covid. Antivax conspiracy is powerful.

• Haha

magic82

What is going on with the second independence referendum in Scotland?
In the short term, Martin Keatings has logged a 30 page document highlighting why Holyrood does not need Westminster assent to hold a referendum, to be ruled on in court this month.

In the long term, Holyrood elections in May likely to be fought on an indy majority triggering a referendum. Johnson likely to deny that. SNP have a trump card they are playing close to their chest if that happens. New domestic bill gives powers for Westminster to take back powers from Holyrood so could get messy.

Last 16 polls in a row have shown majority of Scots now want independence.

Romy

VIP Member
The shitshow will continue regardless
Somehow but give us (the actual UE countries) a break, at least for the next 5 years covered by the agreement. Its was the UK decision after all, not the others'. It's like a never ending show since the vote. Like there are not other problems to deal with.