Breast feeding

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When you stand in the school playground you can’t tell how any child was fed as a baby.

Reactions: 5
When you stand in the school playground you can’t tell how any child was fed as a baby.
While that is absolutely true, it is an undeniable, scientific fact that breastfeeding is the biologically normal way for babies to be fed, and that doing so has a host of health benefits for mother and baby. Every family is free to choose their own feeding method, however scientific evidence tells us that the benefits of breastfeeding last a lifetime. So while you may not be able to see them, they are there inside any breastfed children in a playground.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
If fed is best then you may as well whizz up some haribo and a mcdonalds in a blender and start giving it to 16 week old infants.
Fed is the bare minimum, breastmilk is the biological norm. Formula is a substitute but it in now way matches breast milk.
My son had 90% breastmilk and 10%formula. I didnt think I was doing well enough just breastfeeding and turned to formula to help me out.
I was totally wrong and just didnt fully understand how breastfeeding works as once you leave the hospital, no one thinks to check how you are doing.
When I found a breastfeeding support group, they helped me get rid of the formula and get back to exclusively breastfeeding.

There is very definitely a difference in a breast fed and a formula fed child. The benefits will be with them their whole lives and of course the mother also has benefits for her health too. Just because you cant see it on the outside, doesn't mean it's not there.

Facts arent attacks.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
While that is absolutely true, it is an undeniable, scientific fact that breastfeeding is the biologically normal way for babies to be fed, and that doing so has a host of health benefits for mother and baby. Every family is free to choose their own feeding method, however scientific evidence tells us that the benefits of breastfeeding last a lifetime. So while you may not be able to see them, they are there inside any breastfed children in a playground.
yes.

but....

while the science is obvious- no one is denying that a mothers breast milk is the best option - the delivery of this is not always easy and actually can be detrimental to the health of both mother & child.

breast feeding is great when it works.

but when it doesn’t work? There is nothing wrong with formula feeding. Nothing at all. A fed baby, a content baby, a stress free baby AND a content, stress free MOTHER is the aim. Not a woman who is completely emotionally and physically drained and being berated for using formula milk.

I’d never breast feed a baby ever again due to past experience.

Reactions: 3
yes.

but....

while the science is obvious- no one is denying that a mothers breast milk is the best option - the delivery of this is not always easy and actually can be detrimental to the health of both mother & child.

breast feeding is great when it works.

but when it doesn’t work? There is nothing wrong with formula feeding. Nothing at all. A fed baby, a content baby, a stress free baby AND a content, stress free MOTHER is the aim. Not a woman who is completely emotionally and physically drained and being berated for using formula milk.

I’d never breast feed a baby ever again due to past experience.
I didn’t mention anything about formula feeding in my post at all though? Why would I? This is a breastfeeding post and I was solely talking about it. It’s not a breast vs formula post.
I am sorry your experience was a bad one xx

Reactions: 1
I was recently checking nutritional label on some random baby formula food here in Balkan and was shocked to see that companies put higher quality proteins in body building supplements than in baby formula. Incredible.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
She said something about “can’t breastfeed”? Funny that, she said a while back that she breastfed for the first 5 weeks 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 12
She said something about “can’t breastfeed”? Funny that, she said a while back that she breastfed for the first 5 weeks 🤔
Just because she did at the start doesn’t mean she would be able to for longer. I hate these posts debating what type of feeding she’s doing. It’s no ones business but hers. And that’s coming from someone who finds it very annoying and rude when someone asks if I’m bf. What’s it got to do with anyone

Reactions: 7
Just because she did at the start doesn’t mean she would be able to for longer. I hate these posts debating what type of feeding she’s doing. It’s no ones business but hers. And that’s coming from someone who finds it very annoying and rude when someone asks if I’m bf. What’s it got to do with anyone
Honestly, no one cares if she breastfed or not. The point is, she’s a liar. Contradicts herself all the time.

Reactions: 12
A Mum at the school who I have never spoken to before asked if I was breastfeeding and when I said yes she called me a good girl 😩 30 year old mother of 3 being called a good girl 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I couldn’t give a tit how she feeds her kid. I was just responding to the fact that because she is talking about not being able to, people were saying she cant. I was pointing out another one of her lies.... I have no interest in how anyone feeds their kids! Their kid, their choice!

I couldn’t give a tit how she feeds her kid. I was just responding to the fact that because she is talking about not being able to, people were saying she cant. I was pointing out another one of her lies.... I have no interest in how anyone feeds their kids! Their kid, their choice!
Just because she can’t now doesn’t mean she wasn’t able to and I didn’t think that was contradictory. That was my point mainly. She does normally contradict herself so i do agree to some extent. I wasn’t meaning singling out your post there’s been a few comments last few days and I just get annoyed 😂

Just because she can’t now doesn’t mean she wasn’t able to and I didn’t think that was contradictory. That was my point mainly. She does normally contradict herself so i do agree to some extent. I wasn’t meaning singling out your post there’s been a few comments last few days and I just get annoyed 😂
I was pointing out she’s a liar.... I have never gotten into a discussion about how kids are fed and never will as it’s none of my business and I’m really not interested. I’m sorry if u thought my point was about whether she breast feeds or not, maybe I should have worded it better.
Hinch is a liar, that is all 😂

• Heart
Who is the petition going to? How would it be actioned and by who? Wouldn't it be the same as the "take tattle down" petition?

There are risks associated with formula feeding and I was told about them when I was pregnant.
The risks associated with formula are rarely talked about though as its seen as shaming formula feeding parents and of course formula companies arent going to broadcast the information
Back at the start of this thread, someone has commented that sids guidelines and science changes all the time and people should stop telling parents what to do.
The fact is that the SIDS rate has been greatly reduced through this knowledge, the back to sleep campaign, all naps and sleeps in the same room as an adult until at least 6 months etc. Our knowledge moves on as we learn more and knowledge is power.
I know I tried to do everything possible to keep my son safe and well even though well meaning family and friends thought I should move him to his own room, leave him outside, just give a bottle or whatever.

Facts arent attacks and all mums should be given the full information so that they can make informed decisions. We all want to do what's best for our children and we can only do that If we know the dangers/risks to them

Reactions: 10
Formula feeding raises the risk of sids? Literally never heard that ever anywhere? Where have you read this?
The NHS, Lullaby Trust, it’s common knowledge. It’s often said that breastfeeding lowers the risk, but it’s scientifically inaccurate to say that really. As an extrinsic risk factor formula feeding isn’t the biological norm, it’s a risk factor not a protective factor.

The NHS, Lullaby Trust, it’s common knowledge. It’s often said that breastfeeding lowers the risk, but it’s scientifically inaccurate to say that really. As an extrinsic risk factor formula feeding isn’t the biological norm, it’s a risk factor not a protective factor.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Not sure how I quoted my own post there. So if we take the SIDS risk as a baseline, everything you do is either a protective factor, or a risk factor. Breastfeeding, as the biological norm, is taking into account when calculating the baseline. Formula isn’t, and therefore raises the risk above baseline.

Reactions: 2
Not sure how I quoted my own post there. So if we take the SIDS risk as a baseline, everything you do is either a protective factor, or a risk factor. Breastfeeding, as the biological norm, is taking into account when calculating the baseline. Formula isn’t, and therefore raises the risk above baseline.
I have a background in scientific and medical research by the way, this isn’t something I’ve read secondhand or from Mumsnet lol, it’s something I’ve worked on.

Reactions: 6
Absolutely love these posts. So often it’s “the benefits of breastfeeding” as if formula is somehow the norm and if you then breastfeed it’s a bonus. When in actual fact, as you say, it’s the opposite. But people are too scared to say that in case it offends formula feeders (and I can see why hearing “formula feeding increases the risk of XYZ” would upset people who are just trying to do their best, to be fair) Even in one of my own posts I said the benefits of bf, and wanted to clarify but didn’t want to get attacked for that. So it’s great to see someone saying it 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Reactions: 7
I'd love any advice anyone could give me on breastfeeding after a c section. I really struggled getting my son to latch properly last time so we gave up as he eventually just stopped trying when presented with the nipple (he had formula from a cup and was a big boy at 10lb 5, not sure if this contributed)
Hope you are doing well, I don’t have anymore breastfeeding tips than what has been given above but I am intrigued about your baby taking his milk from a cup?
I am currently breastfeeding my 5month old but he totally refuses a bottle and I have a Christmas party coming up so I am abit worried about leaving him. Was wondering if he would take it from a cup, any info would be great! (And from anyone else who wants to)

Hope you are doing well, I don’t have anymore breastfeeding tips than what has been given above but I am intrigued about your baby taking his milk from a cup?
I am currently breastfeeding my 5month old but he totally refuses a bottle and I have a Christmas party coming up so I am abit worried about leaving him. Was wondering if he would take it from a cup, any info would be great! (And from anyone else who wants to)
Look up Doidy cups. The are basically open beakers but slanted. They are supposed to be a good cup for breastfed babies as the way they drink from them mimics the jaw action of breastfeeding. I’ve used them (for water) with all 3 kids from weaning and they’ve worked well, and I’ve heard them used for milk for younger babies too. I know a lot of people use shot glasses for small babies for milk, again I think it’s to do with the jaw action for drinking being more similar when they use an open cup as opposed to a bottle.
Try a few cups out, even just normal plastic kids cups, and you may get a feel for if he will take it. Even if it’s only an ounce or two it may see him through the time you are out