Boris Johnson #5 A vonc on the old conk

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Going back to your point, a generation of ethnic minority voters are disenfranchised. Like the Democrats, Labour have taken the black and Asian voters for granted. A lot of immigrants will buy into the 'conservative' ethos, that opportunities are there if you work hard. They don't see what Labour or others can offer them. The next general election will be different because as you saw with Trump, when the electorate have had enough, they will switch. It's 12 years of the Tories and the economy hasn't improved, living standards have dropped and public services have crumbled. People have finally woken up to the
I agree with this. Labour have taken immigrant votes for granted. Also, what slightly irritates me as a child of immigrant parents is that Labour all too often assume that all immigrants are the same, and they all need ' saving'. They seem to have the same problem with the White working Class. Well, there are as many diverse immigrant communities as there are White ones, and we are not a hive mind. Many also have absolutely nothing in common. My dad has a similar background to Priti Patel. He was basically a Communist in his youth, but he was more or less a pariah for it among our family, most of whom I suspect or know vote Conservative. Many immigrant communities are very conservative (with a small c) and many are now solidly middle class, having had to start their own businesses when they came here, partly due to racism meaning it was more difficult to get jobs. Many of their children, as we can see from the Cabinet, are very wealthy. There is no reason why a person from an immigrant community would not have the same reasons for voting Conservative as any other group. I'm not sure if I'm articulating it correctly, but people generally, of all races will vote for what they feel is best for them, and Brown and Black people are just as capable if voting in their own self interest as anyone else.

Reactions: 7
Phew I was starting to worry there was some mad rule where members of the party could put themselves forward without a seat 😬
Don’t give bozo any ideas please

I agree with this. Labour have taken immigrant votes for granted. Also, what slightly irritates me as a child of immigrant parents is that Labour all too often assume that all immigrants are the same, and they all need ' saving'. They seem to have the same problem with the White working Class. Well, there are as many diverse immigrant communities as there are White ones, and we are not a hive mind. Many also have absolutely nothing in common. My dad has a similar background to Priti Patel. He was basically a Communist in his youth, but he was more or less a pariah for it among our family, most of whom I suspect or know vote Conservative. Many immigrant communities are very conservative (with a small c) and many are now solidly middle class, having had to start their own businesses when they came here, partly due to racism meaning it was more difficult to get jobs. Many of their children, as we can see from the Cabinet, are very wealthy. There is no reason why a person from an immigrant community would not have the same reasons for voting Conservative as any other group. I'm not sure if I'm articulating it correctly, but people generally, of all races will vote for what they feel is best for them, and Brown and Black people are just as capable if voting in their own self interest as anyone else.
I’ve spoken to many an immigrant cab driver who voted for brexit 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 3
So did his majority, to be fair. He could have gone much further than he did.
I still think Cameron is the worst living PM by a long stretch.

This is why a lot of the electorate couldn't get behind Labour in 2019. Too much pointificating and virtue signalling from the far left. A lot of the campaigning was how they (and only they) can stop the ills of society and reach out to the most vulnerable without realising all they are doing is using these people for ill gain.

While it's highly likely the Tories will be voted out at the next GE, I'm yet to be convinced Labour or a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would tackle the deep-rooted societal issues. Sadly the electorate are more interested in solving the immigration problem and Brexit than they are about tackling poverty and the after-effects of austerity. We've become a self-serving nation thanks to this bloody government and media.

Reactions: 4
I still think Cameron is the worst living PM by a long stretch.

This is why a lot of the electorate couldn't get behind Labour in 2019. Too much pointificating and virtue signalling from the far left. A lot of the campaigning was how they (and only they) can stop the ills of society and reach out to the most vulnerable without realising all they are doing is using these people for ill gain.

While it's highly likely the Tories will be voted out at the next GE, I'm yet to be convinced Labour or a Labour/Lib Dem coalition would tackle the deep-rooted societal issues. Sadly the electorate are more interested in solving the immigration problem and Brexit than they are about tackling poverty and the after-effects of austerity. We've become a self-serving nation thanks to this bloody government and media.
Agree. The Tories vote in the Red Wall didn't increase that much, but the Labour vote completely collapsed, because people don't like to be patronised. There are far more people who are not in extreme poverty, or stinking rich who just weren't addressed at all. I hope that the very least a Labour/ Lib Dem coalition would do is implement some kind of constitutional reform by slashing the House of Lords by at least half and implementing first past the post, but I fontvthink the LD will have enough power to push that through.

Agree. The Tories vote in the Red Wall didn't increase that much, but the Labour vote completely collapsed, because people don't like to be patronised. There are far more people who are not in extreme poverty, or stinking rich who just weren't addressed at all. I hope that the very least a Labour/ Lib Dem coalition would do is implement some kind of constitutional reform by slashing the House of Lords by at least half and implementing first past the post, but I fontvthink the LD will have enough power to push that through.
Not first past the post- PR!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Ahhh, socially liberal but fiscally conservative? Utter bullshit that only stupid people fall for.
The problem is that the alternatives at the time (Gordon Brown and then Ed Miliband) were seen, rightly or not, as much more authoritarian, even if they were also socially liberal.

Reactions: 1
is it part of `Bo Jo's plan by getting some MP's to put their hat into the ring to prolong the leadership process
Apparently the 1922 committee are changing the rules so that only people with the support of 30 MP's will be able to stand. I think they are just throwing their hat in the ring for name recognition. I mean, God knows the current Cabinet are a shower of tit, so let's hope there is someone remotely competent on the backbenches!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.