Boris Johnson #5 A vonc on the old conk

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I suspect this us why neither main parties would entertain a PR voting system. It would be the end of both of them (which I think would be a price worth paying). They would both split into their respective Hard/ centrist factions. They would then have to cobble together coalitions in order to form a government, but hopefully it would at least be more representative and therefore may lead to more engagement in voting. They would hopefully also have to be more collaborative instead of lurching from one election campaign to another.
This is spot on. Proportional Representation would be much better for the voters in UK politics but would never suit Labour or the Conservatives. If Labour split into Momentum/more centrist and the Conservatives split into Reform UK/more centrist, and then we had the Lib Dems and Greens, that‘s 6 parties to chose from who represent a wider range of views. A lot of people feel politically homeless nowadays and genuinely struggle to vote because there is no one who they feel represents them.

Agree about Rory. He said he would leave politics rather than work 'under' BJ and he stuck to that. He also used give Larry the Cat the time of day which is another indication he's at least human.
I like Rory Stewart too. It was a sad day for UK politics when he left the Conservative party, although I admire him for sticking to his guns and doing so. I feel the same way about David Miliband’s departure from Labour - I think he would have made an excellent Labour leader and that the party really fucked up when they gave the job to his brother instead.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The problem is that "proportional representation" covers a whole range of possible voting systems. Some better than others. I personally would prefer either something like the Scottish Parliament¹ or something like Ireland. So MMP or STV.

¹and New Zealand.

Reactions: 1
Leaving aside the tremendous damage to the country that Johnson led, I find his personality interesting. In my completely inexpert opinion he appears to be an archetypal sociopath. What's more he has always exhibited those characteristics so I can only assume that the people who most avidly support him have similar tendencies.
I watched a video by A Psych For Sore Minds on You Tube. It explains quite a bit about his narcism, apparently he had a miserable childhood, his father was abusive and his mother often absent. He was sent to a prep school which was quite brutal, it sounds like a good breeding ground for narcissistic bullys.

Reactions: 3
I watched a video by A Psych For Sore Minds on You Tube. It explains quite a bit about his narcism, apparently he had a miserable childhood, his father was abusive and his mother often absent. He was sent to a prep school which was quite brutal, it sounds like a good breeding ground for narcissistic bullys.
Maybe there's potential for a C4/C5 "On The Psychiatrist's Couch" session for Boris? I'm sure Mad Nads could contribute? Stanley will remain blissfully unaware.

Reactions: 2
I will never understand how children of immigrants can be Tories. Sunak, Javid, Patel and Raab’s father was a refugee. It just makes no sense when they see immigrants and refugees as scum.
It's pure self interest. Pulling the ladder up.

This country has always been a conservative one. Even when Attlee proposed the NHS he got slaughtered for it by the press. It's just amazing universal care has lasted this long. And when we had Blair in power that was New Labour, a polished by-product of Thatcherism. Saying that, what he achieved in his first year puts Cameron, May and Johnson to shame.

Going back to your point, a generation of ethnic minority voters are disenfranchised. Like the Democrats, Labour have taken the black and Asian voters for granted. A lot of immigrants will buy into the 'conservative' ethos, that opportunities are there if you work hard. They don't see what Labour or others can offer them. The next general election will be different because as you saw with Trump, when the electorate have had enough, they will switch. It's 12 years of the Tories and the economy hasn't improved, living standards have dropped and public services have crumbled. People have finally woken up to the truth.

Out of all the children of immigrant candidates, I think Kemi is one to watch. Spectator see her as someone who stands up to the 'culture war' nonsense.

The problem is that "proportional representation" covers a whole range of possible voting systems. Some better than others. I personally would prefer either something like the Scottish Parliament¹ or something like Ireland. So MMP or STV.

¹and New Zealand.
I think our voting system in Ireland is a good one. The only slight downside is we always get a coalition government and sometime that can lead to excessive compromise. But I would still take that any day over the UK system where the party with the least votes overall can still end up in power.

Reactions: 4

¹and New Zealand.
If we had PR seven years ago UKIP would still be a political force.

It seems Mordaunt is going with the slogan PM4PM :rolleyes:

But it hasn’t got off to a flying start

And I knew there was a reason I loved Johnny Peacock

Peacock tweeted: 'I officially request to be removed from this video…. Anything but blue please.'

• Wow
Reactions: 5

¹and New Zealand.
I have mostly lived in Tory strongholds where my vote counts for nothing because they always get in. There is a lot of talk about democracy but the first past the post system isn’t very democratic. Everyone’s vote should count. I remember learning about the Italian problems with PR in the last century where they were constantly dealing with coalitions which hamstrung progress. Personally I would be more than happy with coalition governments so long as the Tories aren’t involved anymore. A coalition of Labour/LibDem/Green would work for me. Whatever happens, we need a system where the number of voices in Westminster is reflected by the number of votes cast for each party.

Reactions: 6
If we had PR seven years ago UKIP would still be a political force.
The argument is that if UKIP did win seats in 210 / 2015 then it would have actually made Brexit less palatable because the rhetoric would have been coming from them and their "Fruitcakes and Loons" and not the "more normal" Conservatives who went that way to head off UKIP.

Now, whether that's true is a different issue, but it's the usual response. I think with UKIP in Parliament it might have been possible for Cameron to avoid a referendum in the first place.

I have mostly lived in Tory strongholds where my vote counts for nothing because they always get in. There is a lot of talk about democracy but the first past the post system isn’t very democratic. Everyone’s vote should count. I remember learning about the Italian problems with PR in the last century where they were constantly dealing with coalitions which hamstrung progress. Personally I would be more than happy with coalition governments so long as the Tories aren’t involved anymore. A coalition of Labour/LibDem/Green would work for me. Whatever happens, we need a system where the number of voices in Westminster is reflected by the number of votes cast for each party.
The issue with systems like in Italy is that it produces coalitions that aren't really compatable with each other because there's no other option, so you end up with infighting, gridlock and constant confidence votes. I prefer the Irish system because, for the most part, it still provides for parties to get as clear lead in some cases, even if getting a majority is nearly impossible, and tends to lead to more stable coalitions that don't fall apart instantly as soon as someone does something a bit controversial.

I think a Labour / Lib Dem / Green coalition is less likely than people think, because there would be too much variance in economic policy. Labour / Lib Dem or Labour / Green on their own, yes, depending on which wing of Labour was in power.

I think a Labour / Lib Dem / Green coalition is less likely than people think, because there would be too much variance in economic policy. Labour / Lib Dem or Labour / Green on their own, yes, depending on which wing of Labour was in power.
The greens have 1 MP, and not tonnes of hope for getting many more so a Labour/Green pack isn’t going to happen.

The SNP is the third largest party, followed by the Lib Dems who currently have 14 MP’s but if polling went the way it is atm, would hold the balance of power with about 20/30 MP’s.

Far more likely is Labour/SNP/Lib Dems confidence and supply, not a formal coalition. If they can avoid using SNP then they will to avoid another vote on independence. Lib Dems will demand electoral reform, which with the way the boundaries are and the SNP holding all the seats in Scotland would currently benefit Labour

The greens have 1 MP, and not tonnes of hope for getting many more so a Labour/Green pack isn’t going to happen.

The SNP is the third largest party, followed by the Lib Dems who currently have 14 MP’s but if polling went the way it is atm, would hold the balance of power with about 20/30 MP’s.

Far more likely is Labour/SNP/Lib Dems confidence and supply, not a formal coalition. If they can avoid using SNP then they will to avoid another vote on independence. Lib Dems will demand electoral reform, which with the way the boundaries are and the SNP holding all the seats in Scotland would currently benefit Labour
Regarding the Greens I was speaking of a hypothetical situation with a more proportional voting system.

And Labour will never work with the SNP, the SNP will never work with the Lib Dems and the Lib Dems are unlikely to want a coalition or Confidence and Supply agreement at the moment anyway.

Can we talk about self-awareness? The majority of us have a face we show to the public, but underneath, we know what we really are. Surely, surely, Ready for Rishi knows he’s an entitled knob in an ill-fitting suit who cannot possibly understand the problems facing those at the crappy end of the cost of living crisis? Priti Patel, anyone - surely she must KNOW she’s a fat bottomed, angry weeble with no empathy? Johnson must know what he is, the pompous, ridiculous public schoolboy girls avoided at school discos and forever after? A total shagger who nonetheless can’t be bothered with birth control? Hancock. I mean, honestly? What does he see when he looks in the mirror? Nadine Dorries? Everyone’s mad aunt who doesn’t get invited to weddings? I could go on. And on. But surely they must KNOW?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
But surely they must KNOW?
In the very rare moments of the still, dark night of the soul THEY KNOW. But they block it all out in the light of day, with sex, drugs and the slobbering of obsequious lackeys which puff them up and quiet the whisperings of conscience.

We, the people, need them to have way more dark nights of the soul.

Reactions: 7
Can we talk about self-awareness? The majority of us have a face we show to the public, but underneath, we know what we really are. Surely, surely, Ready for Rishi knows he’s an entitled knob in an ill-fitting suit who cannot possibly understand the problems facing those at the crappy end of the cost of living crisis? Priti Patel, anyone - surely she must KNOW she’s a fat bottomed, angry weeble with no empathy? Johnson must know what he is, the pompous, ridiculous public schoolboy girls avoided at school discos and forever after? A total shagger who nonetheless can’t be bothered with birth control? Hancock. I mean, honestly? What does he see when he looks in the mirror? Nadine Dorries? Everyone’s mad aunt who doesn’t get invited to weddings? I could go on. And on. But surely they must KNOW?
Brilliant summing up. I wish you would go on and on 😄

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.