Boris Johnson #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Starmer has been travelling around the country talking to us “ordinary people” and listening to concerns. There have been plenty of televised interviews with him calling out the government for their poor handling of the pandemic. You are not likely to see him on the front pages of the right wing press because it is clear he is more of a PM than Johnson will ever be. Johnson is digging a very large hole for himself. The opposition are letting him bury himself.
Oh well, I guess we'll see how well Sir Keir has done at trundling around and talking to ordinary people in December 2024 if we're not all out of work or dead from either the virus or lack of any other healthcare by then. Thanks to Nick Clegg there is virtually zero chance of any election before then.

We may not have to put up with Boris that long, but he will just be replaced by Gove or maybe "MP for five minutes" Sunak.

I do think if you aren't hearing from KS outside PMQs then it is either because you don't want to or you only consume quite niche media.
He has done numerous interviews over the last week for example.
Whether you support him or not, it isn't objective to say he doesn't do anything the rest of the week.
Well then he needs to become more impactful, not really my fault if whatever he's doing is that easy to bury and go unreported without me digging to find his contribution?

Reactions: 2
I do like Starmer but then I wasnt a massive fan of Corbyn. I did like Corbyn himself and thought he was treated abysmally by the media but he was a bit too far left for me. Time will tell with Starmer, though he doesn't have to do much to expose BoJos weaknesses, he just needs to keep handing him that rope and let him hang himself.

I can't see Sunak being PM, people like him because of the furlough but he's just another Cummings puppet

Reactions: 9
I do like Starmer but then I wasnt a massive fan of Corbyn. I did like Corbyn himself and thought he was treated abysmally by the media but he was a bit too far left for me. Time will tell with Starmer, though he doesn't have to do much to expose BoJos weaknesses, he just needs to keep handing him that rope and let him hang himself.

I can't see Sunak being PM, people like him because of the furlough but he's just another Cummings puppet
Agree. The election isnt going to be for another 4 years. He just needs to let Johnson hang himself. He has numerous opposition from his own side. Starmer is a lawyer. He knows when to go for the jugular and he doesnt need to waste his time now. The most important priority for him at the moment is rebuilding the Labour Party and restoring trust among former Labour supporters. The Tories can be left to it at the moment. Theyve shown themselves up over Covid and will do the same with Brexit by the looks of it.

Thanks to Nick Clegg there is virtually zero chance of any election before then
Even before the fixed term parluament Act it was up to the PM to call an election. No way in the world would a government with an 80 seat majority call an election in the middle of their own shitshow!

Reactions: 7
They are talking of repealing the Fixed Term Parliament act as it gives the government control of the timing of an election. With a big majority Tories can choose the best moment.

Reactions: 1
They are talking of repealing the Fixed Term Parliament act as it gives the government control of the timing of an election. With a big majority Tories can choose the best moment.
As Vanillaco says in the post above though, the incumbent government always did have that power/advantage.

He was a good PM and Gordon Brown a fantastic and fair Chancellor, IMO. Sure Starts, Widened Maternity rights, Minimum wage, Instrumental in bringing about the Peace process in NI, Reduction of 50% in the teenage pregnancy rates by initiatives started by his government, bursaries for SW, nurses and many other key workers at university, I can go on and on. His government did really well until, like you say, his ego got massaged (and he was an egomaniac) and fell into bed with Bush.
Except he wrecked pensions

Reactions: 4
It's actually the complete opposite though. The ftpa takes control away from government as it has to be every 5 years in a set window. Before the ftpa the government could call an election every 4 years if it liked and could and did call them whenever was most beneficial to them. Hence Thatchers victory just after the Falklands war. The only way there could be an election is if the government lost a vote of no confidence. This again would never happen if the government has a large majority because no matter how hated the government is by its own side their MP's would never vote for their own party to be deposed as the governing party. It would be Turkey's voting for Christmas!

As long as it’s not Gove. Slimy, odious little man.
I never trust a man who has made such an effort to leave his perfectly acceptable roots behind him and make himself a facsimile.

Reactions: 3
Agree. The election isnt going to be for another 4 years. He just needs to let Johnson hang himself. He has numerous opposition from his own side. Starmer is a lawyer. He knows when to go for the jugular and he doesnt need to waste his time now. The most important priority for him at the moment is rebuilding the Labour Party and restoring trust among former Labour supporters. The Tories can be left to it at the moment. Theyve shown themselves up over Covid and will do the same with Brexit by the looks of it.

Even before the fixed term parluament Act it was up to the PM to call an election. No way in the world would a government with an 80 seat majority call an election in the middle of their own shitshow!
In my heart of hearts I personally can't get behind KS because I'm pretty far to the left of him but I realise that most of the country definitely is not and the important thing is Labour to be in power period. The country is currently being driven off of a cliff and a lot of the damage being done is permanent unfortunately. And the one thing I don't like thinking about too much............ the warning signs are there, we are sliding into very dangerous territory with their takeover of our most important institutions (Civil Service, NHS, BBC etc).

On the face of it I question Labour's approach and do wish they were on the attack but I think KS has been advised to let this current Cabinet make a mess out of everything they touch (certainly going to plan so far!) and run out of Excel spreadsheet columns. Time will tell if the strategy works - my concern is the country will have turned into some sort of dystopian nightmare a la 'The Road' in the next three and a bit years.

Reactions: 10
I’ve just read on another thread here (Meghan Markle’s) that Carrie is allegedly having an affair with Zac Goldsmith.

Does anyone have any more information? Or is it all nonsense?

If true, I wonder how the faithless piece of tit is allegedly enjoying his karma?

Allegedly. 😉

I am very worried about our children's education. Kids being home for a cough in class, we all need a grip. Our children's education is so important. They will be the ones paying the taxes to fund this pandemic. I have one in GCSE year and another doing A-levels.

I’ve just read on another thread here (Meghan Markle’s) that Carrie is allegedly having an affair with Zac Goldsmith.

Does anyone have any more information? Or is it all nonsense?

If true, I wonder how the faithless piece of tit is allegedly enjoying his karma?

Allegedly. 😉
The word is that the baby is actually Zac Goldsmiths! And BJ and CS have already split, hence why he's been going round looking like a haunted bollocks for the last month.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I am very worried about our children's education. Kids being home for a cough in class, we all need a grip. Our children's education is so important. They will be the ones paying the taxes to fund this pandemic. I have one in GCSE year and another doing A-levels.
I really feel for you. I'm so glad my kids aren't in that position but you are right. They will be paying for this for years to come. Especially as the Tories are so scared of pissing off pensioners they wont suspend the Triple lock. It will be the young paying double for this.

Er, reminder that Brexit kicks in on January 1.

That'll tip this country completely and utterly over the edge.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Er, reminder that Brexit kicks in on January 1.

That'll tip this country completely and utterly over the edge.
It’s absolutely terrifying the thought of Brexit on top of everything else.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.