Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I suggested it but it wasn’t voted for 😞 read it myself after, excellent book!!!

do it!!!!!
I think this is my favourite Tattle thread! I love when everyone raves about a book and you get so hyped up to read it! Can’t wait to get stuck into The Push.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think this is my favourite Tattle thread! I love when everyone raves about a book and you get so hyped up to read it! Can’t wait to get stuck into The Push.
away from tattle, actually pre tattle, I read none stop, I was passionate about books, reading 2/3 books a week, and I was more excited to talk about a book than anything else 😆 it’s what I was known for 🤣
the pandemic knocked me a lot in that respect, I’m slowly getting back into it and finding that passion again, I now love nothing more than to research new/upcoming releases and check them out on amazon/good reads 🤣 and then wait for their release date like most would a Netflix show 😆
I’m so sad 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@Oohthedrama your enthusiasm is infectious! I’m also a big reader and have recently fallen in love with my kindle again. Of a night I’d lie on my pillow scrolling on tattle but now I can read with the kindle and it’s been a game changer.

Still find time to catch up on my favourite threads though obviously! Tattle loyalty is strong. I’d actually say my two favourite things to discuss are books and how much I hate influencers 😂 but both seem niche subjects in my real life so really appreciate this site!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm reading my dark vanessa after seeing a few people mention it here. Initially gave me the ick but I persevered as I suppose it's meant to make you uncomfortable. I've read nearly half of it today, struggling to put it down now!

Not really a book, but I'm working my way through the Golden Age Batman omni's. Then it's onto other characters.

Reactions: 1
I'm reading my dark vanessa after seeing a few people mention it here. Initially gave me the ick but I persevered as I suppose it's meant to make you uncomfortable. I've read nearly half of it today, struggling to put it down now!
the amount of times I’ve wanted to review this book but I’ve backed away from talking about it. I read it when it first came out and there was a real buzz around it, I still think about it now, not always favourably.
i wanted more from it, I was angry at it, i think it tried so hard to shock at times, I need to give more time to this review because it’s not fair to just type something out in 3 minutes when I need a wee (tmi)

but months later it still makes me react, I’ll leave it at that for now.

I love this thread!!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Added The Push to my want to read list this evening. Just started a new book I downloaded the other day called... The Push. Hmm?!

Searched for both. I think the one everyone is talking about here is by Ashley Audrain...? I’m just about to start the other by Claire McGowan. I might read them both back to back!

I'm adding the push to my list - reading the synopsis reminded me of we need to talk about Kevin, which is one of the best books I ever read.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm adding the push to my list - reading the synopsis reminded me of we need to talk about Kevin, which is one of the best books I ever read.
Oh wow, yes! I remember reading it, my life was literally on hold until I finished it. When I had a baby, so much of it came back to me ....as I didn’t bond instantly with my child.

Added The Push to my want to read list this evening. Just started a new book I downloaded the other day called... The Push. Hmm?!

Searched for both. I think the one everyone is talking about here is by Ashley Audrain...? I’m just about to start the other by Claire McGowan. I might read them both back to back!
I have read the Claire McGowan one so am going for the other one now.

Reactions: 2
I need to stop reading this thread, every time I do i purchase another book to add to my 150odd books still to read on my kindle. 😃

• Haha
Reactions: 8
That ending 😯😯😯

I've just finished Olive Ketteridge, I've never been more depressed from a book I've read...ever.
I loved Olive Ketteridge. Have you read any other books by Elizabeth Strout? My Name is Lucy Barton and Anything is Possible are very good.

the amount of times I’ve wanted to review this book but I’ve backed away from talking about it. I read it when it first came out and there was a real buzz around it, I still think about it now, not always favourably.
i wanted more from it, I was angry at it, i think it tried so hard to shock at times, I need to give more time to this review because it’s not fair to just type something out in 3 minutes when I need a wee (tmi)

but months later it still makes me react, I’ll leave it at that for now.

I love this thread!!!!
finished it last night, I absolutely agree with it giving you the ick! I also felt a weird kind of sick excitement at the start of S and V’s relationship which I think was due to the quality of the writing - I almost felt I was V.
I went to an all girls school and so many of the girls developed crushes on the male teachers, it didn’t matter the age or how they looked. It used to baffle me as they seemed so old, and as an adult I was never attracted to older men. One of my classmates developed this close flirty relationship with the English teacher, he started confiding in her about his failing marriage etc, - it never went anywhere fortunately!

finished it last night, I absolutely agree with it giving you the ick! I also felt a weird kind of sick excitement at the start of S and V’s relationship which I think was due to the quality of the writing - I almost felt I was V.
I went to an all girls school and so many of the girls developed crushes on the male teachers, it didn’t matter the age or how they looked. It used to baffle me as they seemed so old, and as an adult I was never attracted to older men. One of my classmates developed this close flirty relationship with the English teacher, he started confiding in her about his failing marriage etc, - it never went anywhere fortunately!
it’s a book I hesitate to recommend to anyone. I’m glad I read it, but it left me feeling very uncomfortable for a long time afterwards, I really do want to discuss this further 😂 it would be a great bookclub choice, I did think about suggesting it but again, held off not knowing the members involved.

Dominicana by Angie Cruz. It's absorbing and the main character is interesting and likeable, but I wish it was a bit more atmospheric.

I initially bought the book for my friend's birthday and I had wanted to read it for myself. It arrived all tatty and Amazon said they'd replace it and I could keep the slighty ruined version, so essentially I got it for free hehe.

Reactions: 2
it’s a book I hesitate to recommend to anyone. I’m glad I read it, but it left me feeling very uncomfortable for a long time afterwards, I really do want to discuss this further 😂 it would be a great bookclub choice, I did think about suggesting it but again, held off not knowing the members involved.
Yes I would like to discuss it more. It’s left me feeling very disturbed.

Like @Geranium said, I'd love to discuss this book too and I'd definitely vote for it in any future book clubs! It's one that brought up a lot of questions and it's still at the forefront of my mind.

I loved Olive Ketteridge. Have you read any other books by Elizabeth Strout? My Name is Lucy Barton and Anything is Possible are very good.

I haven’t read them, I may need to try some more Elizabeth Strout. I’ll take a look. Thanks

If I can't have you by Charlotte Levin. I finished it in 2 days!

Also a good girls guide to murder and the sequel.

Like @Oohthedrama I read Her Dark Vanessa when it first came out and there was a bit of noise about it. I found it deeply unsettling. I’ve since read a few articles about the author’s writing process. She called it a ‘twisted love story’ in one interview - this turned my stomach. It was pitched as a modern day Lolita but actually, it’s far more of a challenging read in subject matter because even as an adult, Vanessa cannot see what we see as the reader and I think this is one of the main reasons it is so deeply uncomfortable.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.