Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mouse

i have loads on my good reads - i think i am mouse on there too

My book of the year so far is also Eleanor oliphant is completely fine

I love mystery/ thriller and have read some crackers this year

Anything by sabine Durrant, Sarah Pinborough,. Just about to start the All souls trilogy as i watched the Sky TV Series A Discovery of Witches and it ended on a belting cliff hanger.

Reactions: 7

CoffeeMamma

VIP Member
This thread makes me happy :)
I always have 1 book on my Kindle/a paperback and 1 audiobook. I just finished the Natalie Ward series by Carol Wyer on Kindle- definitely recommend if you’re into crime novels.
On audible I currently have ‘The Secret Child’ by Kerry Fisher on the go. Definitely not one of her better ones (in my opinion), it’s 2 hours from the end and just got interesting.
I have audible and Kindle unlimited memberships as I’m a bit of a bookworm!

Reactions: 7

Fin

Chatty Member
John Marrs books are great. The one is brilliant, i couldn't put it down. It is getting made into a netflix series, i cant wait!!
I love John Marrs books! Also can't wait for The One Netflix drama! In general I'm a huge fan of psychological thrillers, not really into chick lit or anything that has upsetting content, especially involving children. I really enjoyed The Circle by Dave Eggers but the Netflix drama was pretty rubbish.

Some of my favourite series: Rachel Abbott's Tom Douglas thrillers, reading the latest just now. Angela Marsons' Kim Stone series, Robert Bryndza's Kim Stone series, Peter James' Roy Grace series.

I read Flight 19 by Grant Finnegan on a recent long haul flight, not the best idea when flying 😂 and the follow up on holiday. Both very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

blondelolita

Chatty Member
Goodreads is great, I use it all the time as otherwise I forget what I’ve read 😂 I’ve loved every single Shari Lapena book & also am a fan of Liane Moriarty, although wasn’t as keen on Nine Perfect Strangers as I was on her others. Anything by Kate Atkinson is amazing, literally love her writing so much. Clare Mackintosh writes amazing crime too, I love how she includes her police past with the details on investigations, etc.

chocolate choux

VIP Member
I’m halfway through Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey. I’ve seen the BBC drama so I know the whole plot which you’d think would ruin the mystery element, but it’s written so well I just had to read it. So far the book is very similar to the drama which is good, and it’s such an empathetic and real portrayal of dementia. I don’t have dementia/don’t have anyone close to me with it but the way the main character is written just makes me feel like I’m in her confused brain. It’s not the type of book I’d normally pick up which is testament to how wonderfully it is written. Couldn’t recommend it enough, best book I’ve read in a while

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
if anyone wants a nice easy read with a bit of escapism (it's set in Sicily) then i recommend The House by the Sea by Louise Douglas on amazon prime reading it's free! it's a good balance of heartbreaking, heartwarming with mystery/thriller elements :)

One of my all time favourites and the one that stuck out to me when I read this thread title is Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine. I've found that people generally find it a marmite book - you either love it or hate it! But I absolutely adored it and adored Eleanor. I read it over 2 years ago and still think about it, I think I'll reread soon!
I absolutely loved this book. I listened to it on audible and the narrator was perfect, brought Eleanor to life just wonderfully. I listened to it about a year after I’d read the book, I preferred the audio book to the written book but only because the narrator’s voice and mannerisms were just as I’d imagine Eleanor to sound like. I found myself very invested in her life 😂😂

• Heart

EmilyChambers

VIP Member
Recently read Normal People and Conversations with friends by Sally Rooney, enjoyed Normal People but the other one was terrible.
Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine was a great read.
The flat share by Beth O'Leary I loved. The tattooist of Auschwitz was a great read.
I really enjoyed Ruth Jones Never Greener.
Reading a Sophie Kinsella one the now called Surprise Me but finding it difficult to get into.
Never Greener was really good.

I really enjoy the Undomesticated Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. I've read it several times, it's an easy, comforting read.

I just finished "The Chalet", a psychological thriller set in the French mountains.
It liked it more then "The Sanatorium", I felt it had more depth to it and a few more twists.
An easy read.

Geranium

VIP Member
One of the things that turned me off what I call “older woman chick lit” is it’s so formulaic you can feel like you’re reading the same story over and over. It’s usually middle aged lady with a lovely home, lovely children flown the nest, lovely hubby and quirky single best friend suddenly finds her life turned upside down due to either her husband dying, leaving her or losing all their money. After a few chapters of crying/struggling, quirky friend usually says something like “but Daphne, you’re a wonderful cook, why not set up your own business cooking for dinner parties/baking cakes OR the heroine has been painting or making pots for years, thinking she was no good, then suddenly gets discovered and her work sells for thousands. Along the way she will usually acquire a cute dog or cat, a run down but charming cottage that she revamps on a shoestring and of course an incredibly attractive new man because OF COURSE our heroine may be any age between 45 and 65 but she does not look it being slim, gorgeous, stylish.
I know it’s nice to escape into fantasy but I wish there was some originality :)

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Might be an unpopular opinion.

both of Beth O’Leary’s books are below average, at best “ok”

I’m sick of Amazon and Apple trying to push them on me.
I don’t want her new one on pre order either.

that is all.

jarv

VIP Member
I'm reading my dark vanessa after seeing a few people mention it here. Initially gave me the ick but I persevered as I suppose it's meant to make you uncomfortable. I've read nearly half of it today, struggling to put it down now!

Anonymous_Troll

@Oohthedrama your enthusiasm is infectious! I’m also a big reader and have recently fallen in love with my kindle again. Of a night I’d lie on my pillow scrolling on tattle but now I can read with the kindle and it’s been a game changer.

Still find time to catch up on my favourite threads though obviously! Tattle loyalty is strong. I’d actually say my two favourite things to discuss are books and how much I hate influencers 😂 but both seem niche subjects in my real life so really appreciate this site!

• Heart

Very traditional

VIP Member
I'm Usually a huge reader but 2020 I really lost the love, I went from reading at least 1
Book a week to 2 books between June and December 🙈 I've started the new year as I mean to go on and am currently on my second book l which is the Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. It's a lot gentler than my usual taste but I'm really enjoying it. I usually like anything with suspense and murder - Ian Rankin, Kathy Reichs, Jeffry Deaver and so on, or as my mum said any book in Tesco with a black or red front cover 🙈🤣 Oh and I also LOVE Marian Keynes and have read all her books multiple times since I was a teenager.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
I just finished All The Lonely People by Mike Gayle. I thought it was absolutely wonderful. It is about an elderly gentleman who has lost his wife and it starts off with his daughter calling. He pretends to her he has been busy with friends, but the story unfolds when she announces she is coming back from Australia to spend time with him.

It was so heartwarming and I loved how each chapter bounced between the past and present. The protagonist is from Jamaica and is part of the windrush generation, so it explored the discrimination and racism he faced in the UK throughout the past chapters.

I'd definitely recommend it!

Ladyloulou35

Of course it's allowed! General discussion is for anything :D

I dropped my kindle last year and it doesn't turn on now. Was reading the bill Bryson summer of 1927 and keep meaning to buy a new one and waiting for an Amazon offer.

My mum lent me wolf hall, apparently the main problem with it is it's so good that as soon as you finish the last page you have to read it again. I didn't make it through the first chapter. Could do with some recommendations that are more contemporary or chick lit!
Wolf hall is one of the hardest books I have ever read, it is one of my favourite periods in history. But the problem I had with this was that i could never work out who was talking, say there were 4 people in a room and the story goes on but I had no idea which dialogue belonged to who, it was so confusing. That was a couple of years ago and since I have got it on my kindle as a freebie so am going to try it agin and hope that is becomes easier!