Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I bought A Man Called Ove and Anxious People by Fredrik Backman (both 99p atm if anyone wants to be enabled 😂 #notsponsored), has anyone read them? I loved Beartown and Us Against You by him so much (as I think I've posted several times .. haha) so am hoping they live up to my high expectations of him. He does write characters very well in the two I've read by him, so I'm intrigued about his other books. 😊

I've read both. I'm a huge Backman fan. A man called Ove is one of his best. It's being made into a film starring Tom Hanks i believe. Anxious people i enjoyed but it was no Beartown imo.
I just love the way he writes and the characters are always memorable

Here I am with another 99p book. But my gosh. This book tore my heart apart. It is a fictional story about human trafficking, so many times I held my breath and paused before I could turn the pages. I feel like I will be haunted by Thanh for the rest of my life.

It needs a trigger warning for abuse though, it is brutal at points and hard to read but it is well written. It feels a bit odd to say this is one of my favourite reads this year when the subject matter is so difficult, but it is.

Amazon product

I *may* have just bought this.

Reactions: 2
I've read both. I'm a huge Backman fan. A man called Ove is one of his best. It's being made into a film starring Tom Hanks i believe. Anxious people i enjoyed but it was no Beartown imo.
I just love the way he writes and the characters are always memorable

I *may* have just bought this.
Here is the Ove film i loved . https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Man_Called_Ove

I love Tom Hanks but I’m not sure this film version could be improved on.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ugh I hate when a book starts off so well then just seems to fizzle and not make much sense in the end.

I have finished Extinction Point by Paul Anthony Jones this morning. It started off so well! It is one of 5 books so I thought I could find a series to get into and free on amazon prime reads. It was okay but just felt like the ending was a bit of a let down.

I'm going to try to read one more free book before heading to my 99p TBR stash.

Reactions: 4
My pre-ordered copy of Aisling in the City arrived this morning, cant wait to get stuck in over the weekend 🤗

I’ve just started American Dirt and wow, what an opening! Hope it stays good!

Reactions: 5
I tend to get quite bad insomnia from time to time and it's rearing it's head again. I've been browsing Tik Tok on my phone but I think I might swap that for reading my Kindle. Trouble is I have been reading so many "real" books lately that I can't remember where I've put it 😳 So the job for today and tomorrow (baby depending) is to track it down in preparation for the current lack of sleep doing on 🙄 No point really to this post but thought you lads might understand!

To keep it on topic, it's OH's birthday so I bought him the new Dave Grohl book which he's very excited about. I'm also very excited because that purchase bumped up my Waterstones points. I now have £10 worth of credit 🙌

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I just saw that Abdulrazak Gurnah had won the Nobel Prize for Literature. I have only read one of his books, Paradise which was a really powerful, emotional book about East Africa. His writing is so poetic. I really liked this book and now I have been reminded of him I want to read the rest of his work.

Right now I am actually reading A Man Called Ove. I only bought it when the Backman books were 99p on Kindle the other day because I didn't think I would like it. In fact I love it, i can't put it down.

Amazon product

Btw it is also Bookshop Day on Saturday (9th August)

I know it is ready to use Amaxon and most of us are easily swayed *ahem* by 99p deals but remember your little independent bookshop too. They are so often treasure troves with all kinds of special edition books and staff with fascinating literary knowledge. You can shop local online too....

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I just saw that Abdulrazak Gurnah had won the Nobel Prize for Literature. I have only read one of his books, Paradise which was a really powerful, emotional book about East Africa. His writing is so poetic. I really liked this book and now I have been reminded of him I want to read the rest of his work.

Right now I am actually reading A Man Called Ove. I only bought it when the Backman books were 99p on Kindle the other day because I didn't think I would like it. In fact I love it, i can't put it down.

Amazon product

Btw it is also Bookshop Day on Saturday (9th August)

I know it is ready to use Amaxon and most of us are easily swayed *ahem* by 99p deals but remember your little independent bookshop too. They are so often treasure troves with all kinds of special edition books and staff with fascinating literary knowledge. You can shop local online too....

I'm reading A Man Called Ove now too! Only a few chapters in but fell into the story straight away. 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Ugh, it’s taken me days to get through The Flight! I really wanted to enjoy it but to be honest, just didn’t give a tit about it 😂

Reactions: 1
Screenshot_20211007_194727.jpg

Oooooh this week's Popbitch! My first thoughts were Lionel Shriver (although her books don't sell as well as they used to) or JK Rowling. Any other guesses?

• Wow
Anyone else a big fan of Khalid Hussain?

he wrote The Kite Runner (I absolutely loved this - cried on the tube in front of everyone and even my mum who never hardly read was engrossed). A Thousand Splendid Suns (absolutely loved it too and only slightly fell under The Kite Runner) And The Mountains Echoed (I didn’t like this half as much as the others).

His latest book is The Sea Prayer and I wondered if anyone has read it and what did they think compared to his others (if they have read them)

Anyone else a big fan of Khalid Hussain?

he wrote The Kite Runner (I absolutely loved this - cried on the tube in front of everyone and even my mum who never hardly read was engrossed). A Thousand Splendid Suns (absolutely loved it too and only slightly fell under The Kite Runner) And The Mountains Echoed (I didn’t like this half as much as the others).

His latest book is The Sea Prayer and I wondered if anyone has read it and what did they think compared to his others (if they have read them)
I’ve only read a thousand splendid suns so far but I would like to read more by him. Off to add the sea prayer to my kindle wish list (or see if I can get it in the library!)

I'm currently putting together a list of books for Black History month at work. There are SO many books that look good and I want to read myself!

I’ve only read a thousand splendid suns so far but I would like to read more by him. Off to add the sea prayer to my kindle wish list (or see if I can get it in the library!)
defo read the Kite Runner but I warn you it’s a tearjerker (and the film is poo don’t watch it)

I'm currently putting together a list of books for Black History month at work. There are SO many books that look good and I want to read myself!
I have a few that are brilliant - I want to read some more books by Alex Wheatle I loved Island Songs. The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill was compelling.

Last edited:
Im in a slump. Having a crap time at work atm and just not finding time to read as Im drinking too much in the evening and scrolling Tik Tok.😂

Still reading Beartown and I am loving it. Usually Id be devouring it but Im not.

Im off work next week so hoping for some relaxing reading time.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.