Books #3 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Haha you posted this just as I was posting the same thing!
I think a lot of people actually felt that it had to be praised more because of the subject matter, or at least that is what I took from a lot of the Goodreads reviews that I went through?

Reactions: 1
I think a lot of people actually felt that it had to be praised more because of the subject matter, or at least that is what I took from a lot of the Goodreads reviews that I went through?
Totally in agreement with everything that’s been said about TToA - harrowing content but just not well written at all. My mam and sister in law kept going on about how it was the best book they’d ever read so I had high expectations but it was just alright. I wanted much more depth to the characters given they were going through such trauma but it was all just surface level.

Reactions: 3
Another book that I think is been hyped up far too much is The Alchemist. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought it was utter drivel 😅

Reactions: 2
Another book that I think is been hyped up far too much is The Alchemist. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought it was utter drivel 😅
Been on my list for such a long time but I’ve never made it around to it!! I have been told to read it SO many times 🤣

Been on my list for such a long time but I’ve never made it around to it!! I have been told to read it SO many times 🤣
I found it was basically another self help book disguised as fiction, with a touch of sexism thrown in for good measure.

Apologies if anyone here enjoyed it. I'd be interested to hear why!

Yeah I think I'll wait for a miserable rainy afternoon when the only thing on TV is football.

What did you think about the Tattooist of Auschwitz? I feel awful saying this given the subject matter and the fact that it's based on a true story, but I thought the writing style was so so bland... it didn't really make me feel anything. If I remember rightly then the author writes a lot of screenplays, and I felt that the book read like one too. There was a lot of "Then she walked away. Then he turned away as well" sort of thing.
I know you weren't asking me but I agree with your opinion of The Tattooist of Auschwitz. And it had too many inaccuracies, I know it is fiction but I really feel like when we talk about the Holocaust that stuff needs to be factual with the fictional story built around it. I follow AuschwitzMuseum on twitter and seeing their comments about this book made me feel really sad that someone made so much money off this story when it was all just so horrific.

Reactions: 6
I know you weren't asking me but I agree with your opinion of The Tattooist of Auschwitz. And it had too many inaccuracies, I know it is fiction but I really feel like when we talk about the Holocaust that stuff needs to be factual with the fictional story built around it. I follow AuschwitzMuseum on twitter and seeing their comments about this book made me feel really sad that someone made so much money of this story when it was all just so horrific.
Yes I agree 100%. It makes me feel a bit queasy when someone capitalises on somebody else's horrific experiences.

Reactions: 3
I read it probably around 20 years ago and I just didn’t get it. I thought maybe I was too young to understand the depth of it but thinking about it, it really was just a shite book 😂
I read a few Paulo Coelho books and I don’t understand the hype at all.

I finished Little One by Sarah A Denzil last night. It had pretty good prospects but went down a path that, quite frankly, bored me. The twist at the end didn't even enhance the book and I was glad to finally finish.

Next up is One Summer Sunrise by Shari Low. I love how her stories flow and she hasn't let me down yet.

Someone asked about chick lit, I enjoy Cathy Bramley (The Lemon Tree Cafe is a firm favourite), Sheila O Flanagan, Emma Davies, Jane Green, Melissa Hill and Lucy Dillon.

• Heart
I finished Little One by Sarah A Denzil last night. It had pretty good prospects but went down a path that, quite frankly, bored me. The twist at the end didn't even enhance the book and I was glad to finally finish.

Next up is One Summer Sunrise by Shari Low. I love how her stories flow and she hasn't let me down yet.

Someone asked about chick lit, I enjoy Cathy Bramley (The Lemon Tree Cafe is a firm favourite), Sheila O Flanagan, Emma Davies, Jane Green, Melissa Hill and Lucy Dillon.
Whilst I didn't get the twist in Little One (and without giving away any spoilers) I figured quite early on that the person involved in the twist was going to be in the location of the twist. I find with those sort of books I'm looking for what the twist will be!

ahhhh reading the past 3 threads.. my to read on goodreads has now increased by about 80 🤣🤣🤣🤣. thanks for the book recommendations. I am guilty of loving a chick lit book or two. Any good authors or book recommendations? That hasn't been suggest would be ace :)
Lindsey Kelks I heart series is my fav I think.
Karen swan, her slightly Christmas themed books are brilliant. They’re not in your face Christmas, it’s clearly done to drive sales at that time of year, but I’ve loved the majority of them. Some (more than others) have been really good 🙈
Just two of many 😂

new thread!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.