Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
It's almost the weekend. I am exhausted. I don't want to log on for work. I don't want any responsibilities today. I want to stay in bed with the fan on and read. Am I lazy or just enjoying my latest book? 😂
Joys of working from home. Sit on the sofa reading all day with the laptop next to you, move your mouse every 5 mins (fuck you Teams and your ridiculous time frame for going inactive) and do one piece of work that no one knows how long it takes!

Edit - I feel like I should clarify that my job is output based so I can get away with this as long as my work gets done and what I do is very weighted to month end so some days in the month I have nothing to do!.

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Whippeto

Thread 3,

of the best thread on tattle life. 🥰

last thread
Thread 2

(currently everyone seems to be reading and loving “Last One At The Party” by Bethany Clift) 📚📘📖
I have read both prior threads in the last 2 days and added so, so, so many books to my list!! So happy to have found this thread!! Thank you for starting it!! I needed it so much as I had been very stuck with what to choose next and had actually reread a couple that I loved from the past...

I loved all the John Marrs books.. Welcome to Wherever You Are.. a little less so but still good. Loved The Silent Patient, Eleanor Oliphant and a couple of the JP Delaney ones.. I actually loved Playing Nice.. I know it’s been a bit hit and miss on here.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks as I walk miles and miles every day and I have to say to anyone who listens to audiobooks.. PLEASE, PLEASE buy Too Close by Natalie Daniels. I say specifically audiobook because it is hands down the best thing I have ever listened to due to one of the narrators. It’s a fantastic story on its own but I’ve listened to it 3 times as an audiobook because I loved it so much. It’s been made into a tv series of the same name starring Emily Watson.. it’s just been shown on ITV. I haven’t watched it as they’re hardly ever as good but I probably will eventually just out of curiosity.

Also, something that was discussed in thread 1 was returning books to audible.. you really can return as many as you like. I know someone got stumped by a request to contact customer services but they do the same to me every now and again. I just email my request to return and they always, always do it.

I think @Oohthedrama mentioned it’s Amazon so don’t feel too bad about doing it and I couldn’t agree more. Plus if they really didn’t want you to do it you can bet the terms and conditions wouldn’t be so vague (no mention of how many specifically you can return) and they would have made it impossible to do by now.

Wow, that was a lot. My apologies, I’ve been desperate to comment for so long but had to wait to get to the open thread!!

You are all my people.

I’ll make a proper list of all my recommendations soon. It will be long.

• Heart

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
I have this on my kindle might make my next read! Does anyone else get book anxiety when trying to pick their next read? 😂

• Haha
I'm reading The Other Passenger by Louise Candlish atm and loving it.
Does this happen to anyone else, you see a recommendation, look it up on Amazon, fancy reading so go to click on it and instead of 'buy now' you have the 'read now' button..?

Ok, so turns out I already have this on my insane TBR list then! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
It'd be boring if we all had the same opinions on books (well anything!) I know there are books on these threads that many of you rave about that I have picked up and thought meh, meanwhile I have enjoyed books that have often been panned by the majority. It is what it is! Some of us like Coke, some of us like Pepsi. What I do enjoy is that often books are mentioned that would never have been on my radar otherwise.

Someone was asking a few messages ago (or last thread) about keeping track of recommended books, I copy the ones that interest me into a notes file on my phone. The list is currently 423 books long. My TBR piles number about 125 actual books in my house. Ahem. Scrolling through the list of books I have saved and picking my 'treats' for the month is basically the highlight of the month for me! I justify it by saying I don't drink or smoke so can have this for my vice. My husband would disagree but hey ho!

Reactions: 11
I started it last night. Hooked 😂
Hopefully there’s more bloody football on later so I can keep going. Also, there’s golf on the telly this weekend too, yay!!!
I'm not even going to make it last until the end of the day 67% now. Selfish kids need picking up from school now so going to have to put it down.

Also probably going to get sacked after a day spent pressing the arrow keys on a blank spreadsheet pretending to work!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I like “contemporary fiction” but I’m not offended by chick lit, I also don’t think any book can be put into one box anymore and most avid readers know that,

I used to be embarrassed that the majority of books I read are “chick lit” but I really don’t care anymore 🤣 I read because I love it not to impress with my TBR,
That was a big turning point for me, I don’t come on this thread feeling like I need to impress with my choices or reviews, I’ve just recommended Tasmina Perry who used to have a sex scene of some sort per chapter, wound into a bloody good story 🤣
(Still highly recommend her earlier books but I’m not sure how they’ve aged)

jarv

VIP Member
I've had a bit of a break from reading because of my MH. I did a bit of a spending spree the other day after seeing here about the £5 kindle credit when you spend £15.

Ive been reading in an instant sporadically the last few weeks, I am really enjoying it and ordinarily I'd have finished it within days!

Next to read is Rosemarys baby, to all the boys I've loved before, everything I never told you and too close. Mixed bag 😂

• Heart
Anyone else do this.... I read a paperback at the weekend instead of a kindle book and I found myself doing the following:

A) looking at the top of the page for the time.
B) looking at the bottom of the page for my progress.
C) very almost pressing on a word to get the definition.

Haha obvs spend too much time with my kindle in my hand. 😂🤦

• Haha
  • Heart
I've finished a book!!!

I brought myself a new book for 99p to get me back into enjoying reading after my temporary pause. As some of you may know, I love a good dystopian story. It's called the disappeared by Amy Lord. It was a nice book and it definitely hooked me enough to make time to read.

I've had a quiet couple of days at work so I took advantage and sat in the sunshine this afternoon reading my kindle.

• Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Let us know what you think of Malibu Rising, I downloaded it yesterday.

I think the warm weather has sent me slightly insane and I’m madly downloading anything with a vaguely holiday-ish name. Currently reading Her Last Holiday by C L Taylor for this reason 😂
over half way and really enjoying it!! Looking forward to the weekend 🙈

Joys of working from home. Sit on the sofa reading all day with the laptop next to you, move your mouse every 5 mins (fuck you Teams and your ridiculous time frame for going inactive) and do one piece of work that no one knows how long it takes!

Edit - I feel like I should clarify that my job is output based so I can get away with this as long as my work gets done and what I do is very weighted to month end so some days in the month I have nothing to do!.
You don't need to clarify anything on here, another thread you might get jumped but we’re....... actually friendly to each other 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha

Geranium

VIP Member
I hate it when that happens. You just know when something hasn’t grabbed you. On the flip side.. how marvellous is the feeling when a book DOES grab you?!! People Like Her for example.. I’ve nearly finished!!
When a book grabs me, it’s like being in love. I think about it when I’m not with it, I can’t wait to hold it again, I want to spend all my time with it and no one else! 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
The nice thing about this thread is that all opinions are welcome and respected. I have kind of different standards in my head for what I consider a good book. I wouldn’t judge a thriller/holiday escapist read in the same way as a more serious, literary novel. I enjoy a really wide range of genres. Sometimes I just read for distraction , other times to be challenged and stretched mentally.
I soooo do agree, at the moment I just can’t take anything heavy, I see “Man Booker” and run a mile 🙈
I have definitely dumbed down my choices in the last while but to be honest I don’t mind once I’m enjoying it.

I LOVE how varied this thread is!! I don’t like an echo chamber 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9

LellsBells

VIP Member
That’s kind of my point though... I don’t think you would ever have been embarrassed if the term chick lit didn’t exist. I also think the embarrassment is rooted in internalised misogyny. We should feel embarrassed by a style of book that generally appeals to women?? Errr why?? Are women stupid.. trivial.. frivolous?

I don’t mean to get on my soapbox or be a fun sponge I’m just explaining why it annoys me so much.
100% agree with you. I had a little rant about it a few threads ago. I hate any form of snobbery especially when it’s comes to reading or music. I think the important thing is that you are reading, regardless of the genre!

• Heart

Geranium

VIP Member
It is my absolute dream! My life’s ambition is to have a book published and I have lots of ideas that I think would work but I never seem to be able to start.
I wrote two or three horsey romance type books when I was in my early teens. I found them recently during a big clear out and nearly died laughing at my younger self 😂

• Haha

DigiDuino

I saw a lot of people talking about how good The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was on here and elsewhere

Found a copy in a charity shop and was well pleased, until I got home and realised ‘The seven deaths of Evelyn hardcastle’ is not the right book 😅. They were published in the same year and everything!

I read it (seven deaths) anyway but really did not like it, too convoluted yet meandering, loads of details but they were all happening so slowly it was boring for me!

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Sorry guys, I really am over sharing on this thread.
no you’re not!!!
it’s the book lovers thread! I changed the name because it’s not just short reviews and recommendations anymore!
I started it asking the question, I’m glad we can all chat here! ❤

you will do it! It’s just a longer route than you planned!

• Heart

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
It’s so interesting to hear negative reviews of LOATP given the level of praise it’s given on here. I personally loved it but I think I read it that quickly that the plot holes didn’t even occur to me. I’m always happy to completely suspend belief and common sense for a good story and I felt that LOATP fit that category well. I really do love how we’re all so different on here though, if we all liked the same things it’d be boring I’m sure.

Geranium

VIP Member
Just finished LOTTP and like an earlier poster said, I feel bereft. What a book. I don’t think I will ever forget it and I would never have read it without this thread. Off to think about it now.