Books #28

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't read much of my current book this week, In Memoriam, not because of the book, but because work is very busy at the moment and haven't had the free brain space to properly concentrate on it. I'm out all day today (doing nice things 😍) so hoping for a bit of down time tomorrow. Enjoy the weekend fellow book lovers. X☺

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm reading The Women by Kristen Hannah and really enjoying it. It's my first Kristen Hannah despite owning The Nightingale.
I loved this book so much. I was hooked and finished it really fast, but then was horribly sad that it was done. The Nightingale is my favourite book.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone read The Gilded Cage by Camilla Lackberg? I really enjoyed it, I do love the 'strong, intelligent woman gets revenge on man who thinks with his dick' genre! Actually I'm not sure that is actually a genre but it is now!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Has anyone read The Gilded Cage by Camilla Lackberg? I really enjoyed it, I do love the 'strong, intelligent woman gets revenge on man who thinks with his dick' genre! Actually I'm not sure that is actually a genre but it is now!
Sounds like a genre that would be right up my street

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Its been quiet here this week! Are we all just reading lots or not reading at all so nothing to talk about?
I have 3 on the go so hoping to finish at least one before Tuesday.

Audible - Prima Facie. Enjoying it but saw the play twice and even with Jodie Comer narrating, it will never match how I felt about the play.

Borrowbox - The husbands secret, Lianne Moriarty. Only a couple of % in but got really confused, didn't realise there were 3 different stories.

Kindle - Revenge, Martina Cole. Used to be a huge fan, but haven't read one of hers in forever and not particularly enjoying it, they're just the same old storyline regurgitated.

Reactions: 4
I've seen some of the Blaze series are on daily deals today, really tiny books 35ish pages, about brave, strong women from history, I have the one on Amelia Earhardt but they are all free on Prime reading

Reactions: 3
I'm still on Black Cake as I am quite intrigued by the story, but the rapid changes in point of view are bothersome still. Also, the chapters feel cluttered with excessive words and distractions from the main plot within paragraphs, which is frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I’m not into forensic detective type stuff usually but recently read an Ellie Griffiths Dr Ruth Galloway book and enjoyed it and went on to read the rest …I think there are 17 books ….lots of Pagan type references .
I’ve got In Memorium to start and Diva by Daisy Goodwin and Madwoman by Louisa Treger .
On Spotify I’m listening to Beyond the moon .

waiting for Me and Mr Jones to come in at the library on order .
---
I can recommend Twelve Moons by Caro Giles.
I listened to it on Audible and it was so relaxing .

TWELVE MOONS follows a year spent caught between the wild sea and the changing moon of the wide Northumberland skies.

Caro Giles lives on the far edge of the country, with her tribe of daughters: The Mermaid, The Whirlwind, The Caulbearer and The Littlest One. She is at once alone and yet surrounded. Bound by circumstance, financial constraints, illness and the challenges of single motherhood, she has nowhere to go but the fierce landscape that surrounds her.

Over the course of the year, the moon becomes her fellow traveller through dark times, and companion through joyful ones – and even when the sky is wreathed in cloud, the moon is still felt in the pull of the tides.

TWELVE MOONS follows the lunar calendar, each chapter sharing a month and a moon, and shows the simmering power that lies in our often hidden daily lives. A dazzlingly honest memoir that while never turning away from the awkward truths of life, also shows how love will flourish if we can only find a space for ourselves.

Definitely. When I have a crap day I just scroll all evening. Which then doesnt help me at all.
---
On another note Ive had 2 pre orders from Waterstones dispatched earlier this week and my plus stamps havent gone on. Well I dont think they have. I wish there was a way to see what youd earned when. I know if you go into orders itl show you what you earned in that transaction but it doesnt show when they get added.

I guess I'll need to email them.
Did you order them during the Black Friday deal?
I had an issue with mine and turns out they were added when earlier parts of the order were dispatched. I’m not 100% convinced and would still prefer to see what was added when though! Even the Nectar app tells me I got 12 points for random snacks + 5 bonus points! 🥱
---
I'm reading The Women by Kristen Hannah and really enjoying it. It's my first Kristen Hannah despite owning The Nightingale.
I gave The Women 5 🌟 I tried to wait for the paperback but only lasted a week.. no regrets though, totally worth it.

Has anyone finished Funny Story? What’s your verdict? I got a Waterstones voucher for my birthday and I’m itching to spend it but I hated Happy Place so am a bit reluctant!

Reactions: 1
Did you order them during the Black Friday deal?
I had an issue with mine and turns out they were added when earlier parts of the order were dispatched. I’m not 100% convinced and would still prefer to see what was added when though! Even the Nectar app tells me I got 12 points for random snacks + 5 bonus points! 🥱
---

I gave The Women 5 🌟 I tried to wait for the paperback but only lasted a week.. no regrets though, totally worth it.
None during BF no. One last Aug BH when it was double points then one of them was just a random order a few months ago on single points but its been sitting at 6.5 points to go for a while. Also one of the books was the first to be sent from that order 🤔

I do feel awkward about emailing as I dont really know whats going on or where I'm at. I do think there should be a better record of it.

Has anyone finished Funny Story? What’s your verdict? I got a Waterstones voucher for my birthday and I’m itching to spend it but I hated Happy Place so am a bit reluctant!
I have & I really liked it! Caveat being that I also liked Happy Place, so probably good to wait for someone who also didn't like HP to let you know what they thought 😂 I'm definitely an easily pleased Emily Henry fan (save for PWMOV, which I did not like).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I just tricked Mr Comment into a diversion to big Sainsbo’s so I could get Funny Story, obviously I made up something we needed then just happened to see Funny Story 👀
---
None during BF no. One last Aug BH when it was double points then one of them was just a random order a few months ago on single points but its been sitting at 6.5 points to go for a while. Also one of the books was the first to be sent from that order 🤔

I do feel awkward about emailing as I dont really know whats going on or where I'm at. I do think there should be a better record of it.
I messaged @WaterstonesHelp on X and they were quite responsive / helpful.
---
Racing through books this week as I'm on holiday🏖

Getting through about 1.5 a day
I’m very jealous! Of the (assumed) warmth AND the reading. A two week sunny holiday would really help with my TBR pile(s).

I like some cosy reading but wouldn’t mind it warming up enough to be able to sit outside with my book for a bit after work!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Lads! (And especially @LaBlonde!) I picked up The Mill on the Floss in a charity shop today and I'm really excited to read it. I know a few of you were talking about it here.

Some of you might remember me reading Pride and Prejudice and really not enjoying it and then being a bit put off of the classics. But I really think I'm going to enjoy this. It will be my first George Elliot.

I also picked up Big Swiss by Jen Beagin, which has been on my list for ages. Have any of you read it?

• Heart
Lads! (And especially @LaBlonde!) I picked up The Mill on the Floss in a charity shop today and I'm really excited to read it. I know a few of you were talking about it here.

Some of you might remember me reading Pride and Prejudice and really not enjoying it and then being a bit put off of the classics. But I really think I'm going to enjoy this. It will be my first George Elliot.

I also picked up Big Swiss by Jen Beagin, which has been on my list for ages. Have any of you read it?
as an absolute classics girl and a george elliot lover, this makes me so happy. @BWGossip read it really recently too and loved it, i hope you do. it has a wonderful lead character and a lot of brave plot choices for a novel of that period. if you like it, i’ll immediately be here with more classic recs 🤣😘

i read big swiss a few months ago! it is VERY quirky but in a really readable way and is really funny in places (i liked all the supporting characters more than the big swiss plot though).
---

like @CommentBelow says, i’ve always found waterstones customer service to be really patient and helpful so drop them a line. they were nice to me when i got into a right palaver trying to register a plus card that i had already registered and forgotten about 🤣

• Heart
I’ve read very little this week 😩 I finished Evelyn Hugo last Sunday and thought I need to give audio books a rest because 99% of my reading is audio this month and I need to pick up a physical book but I just don’t have a chance 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve started Heart Bones and I’m 25 pages into Manacled which will take me MONTHS to get through.
I’ve been distracted my Baby Reindeer 😳

I've read very little this month (5 books so far when I usually read 10+) and it's been sluggish.

I'm reading The Familiar by Leigh Bardugo but it's kinda slow and while I love the vibes, the plot is not there yet.

I'm reading The Inheritance games cause I thought it'd be something fast paced and light and it's also taking a while to get going.

I might just reread Funny Story cause I know THAT I love.

Reactions: 6
I’m very jealous! Of the (assumed) warmth AND the reading. A two week sunny holiday would really help with my TBR pile(s).

I like some cosy reading but wouldn’t mind it warming up enough to be able to sit outside with my book for a bit after work!
It's boiling. Been in Egypt for a week and it's been consistently 34+

Home tomorrow though 😭 not looking forward to the change in temp thats for sure.

Living my best DINK life though and planning a holiday to tide me over until our anniversary holiday in November. Got to get my TBR down somehow 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Its been quiet here this week! Are we all just reading lots or not reading at all so nothing to talk about?
I’m busy finishing Beartown (the whole series). I’d avoided it before because I thought, ice hockey I’m not really going to enjoy it.
But, after reading a few of Beckman’s novel I’ve realised he’s a master at writing words that touch my soul. So, I started. And all I can say is he is swiftly becoming one of my favourite authors ever. He writes about life / humanity (I can’t find the write words) so well. He really touches my soul, in so many ways. He makes me chuckle out loud, he makes me nod in agreement, sigh in desperation, cry at the depths of his understanding, his insight touches me deeply.
What more can I say without sounding like I’m besotted with him, which I am by the way.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14