Books #28

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s much more how I imagined Ron! An old school East End geezer type. Still, great cast and intrigued to see what they do with it.
I'm really surprised at the Pierce Brosnan casting. Very bizarre. Other than that pleased with Mirren and Kingsley. Ray Winston was the obvious choice for Ron but he is too young. I'd have gone for someone like Malcolm McDowell.

With the age of this cast I hope they make about 3 films back to back :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I too was shocked by Piers but actually think if they rough and ready him a bit he could be a great choice. My image if Ron in my head actually changed in book 3 when he got his girlfriend, I figured he must have been a bit of a looker after all.

Reactions: 3
if you liked it then “the letters between six sisters” anthology by diana’s daughter-in-law is a really good read. they were a fascinating group of women; though i’ve never read hons and rebels, the only one whose writing i’ve read is nancy’s (and while i liked the pursuit of love it was all a bit too knowing for me).

i absolutely love reading about that time period though: something about those debutante balls and gin fizzes and jazz (and, i suppose, a whole tragic generation of beautiful young people) really works for me. i might give it a try!
Thanks for the recommendation! I think Nancy was a better writer, but Jessica comes across as less cynical.

It's definitely an interesting time period. I should mention that she emigrated to America, so the latter part of the book has a very different feel to the earlier bits in England (not better or worse - just different). It's funny how they didn't recognise terms like 'soap opera'! All the Americanisms have since become part of UK speech, so it's strange to see how unfamiliar they were not so long ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I'm racing through Funny Story, exactly the kind of fun, easy read I need right now. But I can see Maurice and Maralyn is on a kindle deal today (and ranks #1 in shipbuilding, apparently). Has anyone read it?

• Heart

For the gay love story fans…how gorgeous does this look?!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My pre-ordered copy of Funny Story was only sent out by Waterstones today which is annoying! In an ideal world I'd love if the pre-orders arrived on release day, you know?

• Heart
My pre-ordered copy of Funny Story was only sent out by Waterstones today which is annoying! In an ideal world I'd love if the pre-orders arrived on release day, you know?
In the US they used to send pre orders before release date and then they had some snafus with heavily embargoed books being out in the wild days before release because they got delivered early.

But I agree. Preorders should arrive on release day. The very next day, at the latest. Otherwise what's the incentive to preorder vs going to the store the day of release? (provided it isn't like a special edition or something).

Can't wait to see what you all think of Funny Story!! I loved it so much but I'm waiting for my preordered copy to get to me to reread.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
In the US they used to send pre orders before release date and then they had some snafus with heavily embargoed books being out in the wild days before release because they got delivered early.

But I agree. Preorders should arrive on release day. The very next day, at the latest. Otherwise what's the incentive to preorder vs going to the store the day of release? (provided it isn't like a special edition or something).

Can't wait to see what you all think of Funny Story!! I loved it so much but I'm waiting for my preordered copy to get to me to reread.
I've ordered a signed sprayed edges edition so I shall tolerate the wait (impatiently!)

I've ordered a signed sprayed edges edition so I shall tolerate the wait (impatiently!)
That's the one I'm also waiting on 😭 We can be patient!! But since I read it and loved it I also got a regular US edition and that should get to me by Friday 😈 (I've got no self control when it comes to books, clothes, and makeup). I want to have annotated copies of all my EmHen books (except Happy Place, you suck Happy Place 🤣).

And ETA on that topic: do any of you guys annotate? Any tips? I always see the really cute annotated pages on Instagram and I want to do that but I'm also an impatient little troll.

• Heart
  • Haha
I find that if a book is quite hyped like Funny Story Waterstonee dont dispatch it in time 🙄

I got the third in the Knockmount series by Lucy Score on the Saturday before release :eek:
---
That's the one I'm also waiting on 😭 We can be patient!! But since I read it and loved it I also got a regular US edition and that should get to me by Friday 😈 (I've got no self control when it comes to books, clothes, and makeup). I want to have annotated copies of all my EmHen books (except Happy Place, you suck Happy Place 🤣).

And ETA on that topic: do any of you guys annotate? Any tips? I always see the really cute annotated pages on Instagram and I want to do that but I'm also an impatient little troll.
There is a deluxe edition of Beach Read coming. Ive pre ordered it from Amazon as I couldnt find it anywhere else in the UK but B&N had it in the US Im sure.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
There is a deluxe edition of Beach Read coming. Ive pre ordered it from Amazon as I couldnt find it anywhere else in the UK but B&N had it in the US Im sure.
Yep got that one too 🙈 I have a small fortune in books except not cause like no one really buys them for what they're worth unless they're really rare editions ☠

• Haha
I find that if a book is quite hyped like Funny Story Waterstonee dont dispatch it in time 🙄

I got the third in the Knockmount series by Lucy Score on the Saturday before release :eek:
---

Apparently book release dates are only real/strict for embargoed titles and a lot of books are put out on shelves when they’re delivered to store.

I wanted a nice easy read (no spice or murder) 😂 So just read the first of 6 books by Hannah Lynn. The Sweet Shop of Second Chances. Really enjoyed it. Going to carry on with them as not read a series in a while 🙂

• Heart
Apparently book release dates are only real/strict for embargoed titles and a lot of books are put out on shelves when they’re delivered to store.
Interesting! I also saw that both David Nicholls and Emily Henry had their UK releases on Tuesday in line with the US release date, when usually UK releases are on a Thursday. Does anyone know why this might be? I assume it's because of how book charts are weighted, and they're both such heavyweights that their preorders will assure them of a good chart position with only two days of sales?

Interesting! I also saw that both David Nicholls and Emily Henry had their UK releases on Tuesday in line with the US release date, when usually UK releases are on a Thursday. Does anyone know why this might be? I assume it's because of how book charts are weighted, and they're both such heavyweights that their preorders will assure them of a good chart position with only two days of sales?
UK release dates seem to be Tues and Thurs. You are here came out yesterday and Funny Story comes out tomo.
One of the days is better for book charts - I think it’s Tuesdays that give it a full week of sales to be counted.

Reactions: 5
UK release dates seem to be Tues and Thurs. You are here came out yesterday and Funny Story comes out tomo.
One of the days is better for book charts - I think it’s Tuesdays that give it a full week of sales to be counted.
Ahh, I guess I got my Funny Story early, in that case, that's why I assumed it released yesterday

I love seeing all the fun annotations and tabs people do on social media but I can't imagine doing it myself! I think partly because I too am an impatient troll but also because I had to annotate and tab for English classes at school and I get flashbacks :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
I pre ordered both of these 🤣 one arrived. One has not

I love seeing all the fun annotations and tabs people do on social media but I can't imagine doing it myself! I think partly because I too am an impatient troll but also because I had to annotate and tab for English classes at school and I get flashbacks :ROFLMAO:
Haha also impatient and it gives me study flashbacks. Honestly, I’ve spent some many years in eduction, then a challenging professional qualification.. I don’t think I can touch another sticky tab.
My other issue is I’m a bit too liberal with a highlighter so the book would probably just end up a pink mess.
---
I pre ordered both of these 🤣 one arrived. One has not
I resisted both.
Then bought ‘You are here’ at the station yesterday and will probably buy Funny Story if I trip and fall into a WHSmith tomorrow (assuming it’s half price)… there could be worse addictions.. probably..