Books #28

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all its been ages since i read this thread, menopause and general life/ brain fog really messed with my ability to enjoy reading.

I am looking for some recommendations of the best psychological thrillers from last year and the year so far please. I am going to make a huge effort to find my reading mojo again
First Lie Wins
The Heights
Please Tell Me
The Good Samaritan
Stay Close
First Born

I've not long finished Please Tell Me (Mike Omer) and cannot recommend it enough. Brilliant book full of twists and turns.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve

I’ve been debating this one so curious what you think, I’ve seen some mixed reviews.
I don’t read dark academia type books so I’m not sure if it’s me or the book. 🤔 I’m not wanting to pick it up and a lot of the characters are so nasty.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Anyone read the Throne of Glass series? I’m on Heir of Fire and struggling a bit!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Anyone read the Throne of Glass series? I’m on Heir of Fire and struggling a bit!
I struggled until middle of reading heir of fire and then everything came together and LOVED it. i did skip one book though (book 6) and a i know alot of other fans did.

if you still dont like it after this book then its best to say you probably wont enjoy the rest of the series

I struggled until middle of reading heir of fire and then everything came together and LOVED it. i did skip one book though (book 6) and a i know alot of other fans did.

if you still dont like it after this book then its best to say you probably wont enjoy the rest of the series
I feel the same, the series took me longer to get into than ACOTAR for sure

I found that heir of fire is where it started to pick up. Enjoyed all the manon chapters 😍. Quen of Shadows was good too, but long lol. I'm about to start the empire of storms and Tower of dawn tandem read soon. Hoping it'll get even better!

• Heart
I feel the same, the series took me longer to get into than ACOTAR for sure
yeh I read them after ACOTAR and felt like a drag but actually ended up enjoying the story overall more than acotar.

Manon is my witch ❤ hope she gets her own book one day 🤣

• Heart
Hellooo!!

I have been having a bit of a productive read but recently fallen into a slump again

I don't remember if I wrote about Greek Lessons by Han Kang - I really enjoyed it and think it needs a re-read to fully understand what is going on. Honestly wish it was a bittt longer

I also read The Ruin of All Witches by Malcolm Gaskill, which weirdly seems to be everywhere in the book shops along with other books about the witch hunts, and generally it's pretty damn good. There's a few chapters where he's just setting the context and telling you about how these towns were founded which drag on a bit but then you get to town gossip and it becomes juicy. It's also a bit unexpected with how things play out

Currently reading Time to Think by Hannah Barnes. I wasn't really vibing with the beginning of the book as I think it's very clear that the author is coming from a specific point of view but it seems to even out a bit the further you read on. I have seen some criticisms of the book online on discussion forums so would be interested to know if anyone happens to know of any books/reviews that have a more fair discussion and possible critique of her work

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I just listened to my first book on Spotify, it was The Paris Hilton one. I like that she narrated it herself. After watching the documentaries, it was nice to tie it all together.
Am thinking of listening to ACOTAR next bc it been mentioned here and elsewhere so much.

Has anyone read the One Of Us Is Lying series? I've watched the TV show S1&2, so I not sure if it'll be worth it since I know what will happen now....

Has anyone any tips on how to stick with audiobooks?

I am trying to read A Court of Silver Flames (my first audiobook) and I am struggling. My attention wanders and I end up rewinding. I feel like I would have read the book by now. I have downloaded it to my kindle and half planning on giving up on audiobooks. I tried to listen when cleaning and driving and when doing mundane tasks. When reading I have been dying to finish work to read a few chapters but the audiobook hasnt got me as gripped.

For anyone who has read Black Cake, how did you find it?

i’m finding it hard to really get into it as it has so many different perspectives (unless that changes down the line) only about 100 pages but have had 5 different perspectives so far!

I am trying to read A Court of Silver Flames (my first audiobook) and I am struggling. My attention wanders and I end up rewinding. I feel like I would have read the book by now. I have downloaded it to my kindle and half planning on giving up on audiobooks. I tried to listen when cleaning and driving and when doing mundane tasks. When reading I have been dying to finish work to read a few chapters but the audiobook hasnt got me as gripped.
My tip would be don’t! If they don’t fit into your lifestyle and/or you’re not taking them in then maybe they’re just not for you? I’ve tried audio a few times but have finally admitted defeat! I love my reading but listening is not for me!

• Heart
Reactions: 9

I enjoyed the 2nd one (is it crown of midnight? I keep forgetting their names!) but finding it dragging atm as everyone is doing separate things and it’s switching between celaena, manon, chaol and Dorian!

I tend to listen to books I've already read so I don't have to constantly rewind when I've daydreamed or nodded off.

With regards to audiobooks. I started by listening and reading along to get use to the flow. Then slowly started to listen when I was walking my dog. Now, it comes naturally and listen to it like it's a podcast.
Also can depend on the actual book and the narration of course. Some narrations are awful lol

Reactions: 4
For me with audio I started with non fiction only. I stuck with non fiction for such a long time. Mainly sticking to memories or books about stuff that I find interesting (politics / social commentary)

It took me a long time to be able to listen to fiction.

Reactions: 6

I only listen to audiobooks when I'm trying to sleep and it does take me ages to get through a book as obviously fall asleep eventually and need to rewind, but I only listen to books that don't excite me that much. Books that I'm really keen on I will just read.

I finally finished listening to the seven sisters series today. 8 books in total, that took me more than 6 months to listen to 😅

I didn't realise the author died before the final book which was completed by her son as she had cancer. Feel a bit bad for slagging the previous few books in the series now 😅

• Sad
I only listen to audiobooks when I'm trying to sleep and it does take me ages to get through a book as obviously fall asleep eventually and need to rewind, but I only listen to books that don't excite me that much. Books that I'm really keen on I will just read.

I finally finished listening to the seven sisters series today. 8 books in total, that took me more than 6 months to listen to 😅

I didn't realise the author died before the final book which was completed by her son as she had cancer. Feel a bit bad for slagging the previous few books in the series now 😅
I didnt know that either about the author. Thats so sad.

• Heart