Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you think about crazy numbers eg. 300+?
I saw someone on Goodreads had read 390 last year! I know some people can speed read but seems crazy to sustain reading over a book a day for an entire year?!
I know it's doable and like Caffeine said for some their lifestyle might be conducive to it but I feel like if you're reading 300+ books a year, are you actually retaining stuff?

My "best" reading year in terms of number was 2020 with 175 and I felt like that was good because I spent most of that year at home, and I actually had time to read those books in a leisurely manner. If I tried to read 175 now, I'd probably end up not remembering half. So what's the point? Are we reading for enjoyment or just for consumerism?

Reactions: 17
I feel like I retain v little and I think a book has to be outstanding for me to remember a lot of the plot and storyline. This year has been like tumble weed honestly.

Reactions: 13
I think it just depends on what people read and what their lifestyle looks like. A book a day could be anything from 3 to 8 hours per day of reading.

If you have a long commute for example it could be 2 hours per day reading or listening to an audio book, if you have a lunch break and read then another 30 mins and then say you read for 3 hours of an evening. Then count in weekends, time spent on annual leave etc its probably doable. Audio books whenever you do chores or drive.

My kids probably take up a huge chunk of time where those without kids or grown up kids could spend reading.

I also have a lot of wasted time where I could be reading. Usually arguing with grown up men about football on the internet or scrolling socials.
I could read so much more if I didn't come on Tattle. But I don't see any of you or any of my threads as a waste of time, my fellow Tattlers are too much fun. But the amount I could read in the time I spend on here, it's a lot. 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I feel like I retain v little and I think a book has to be outstanding for me to remember a lot of the plot and storyline. This year has been like tumble weed honestly.
Was just going to say the same thing and I only get through 50-odd a year! I’m not really bothered about retaining the finer details of most things I read to be honest. If a book entertains me in the moment I’m reading it then it’s served it’s purpose.

Reactions: 11
What do you think about crazy numbers eg. 300+?
I saw someone on Goodreads had read 390 last year! I know some people can speed read but seems crazy to sustain reading over a book a day for an entire year?!
If you read very short books, it's not that impossible/hard but what's the point? I think some people are very number oriented, especially if they are on social media as it's kinda attention-grabbing. Personally, it's not something I thrive for as I'd prefer to read 12 5-stars books over 300+ 3-stars books.

I read 100+ books this year but it's already a bit too much for me, in retrospect. Next year, I'll try to be more 'intentional' with what I read.

Reactions: 10
I set myself a challenge to read a lot of children's fiction and nostalgic YA reads this year. So far I've managed 140+ because loads of them are so short, you can finish one or two in an evening. I can't get my head around someone reading double that, reading would become your full time job. I like television and film too much to read that much XD

My average reading year is more like 50 books, and that takes some effort if I end up choosing a lot of longer reads or classics.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I could read so much more if I didn't come on Tattle. But I don't see any of you or any of my threads as a waste of time, my fellow Tattlers are too much fun. But the amount I could read in the time I spend on here, it's a lot. 😆
same 🤣 i could certainly spend more time reading if i wasn’t thirsting over and writing poetry about formula 1 drivers but where would be the fun in that?

i’ve read 81 books this year which is the most i’ve done in a little while but also probably the absolute limit i could do and still remember all the books. if fanfic was included though i would easily be in triple figures!

currently reading great circle which i’m enjoying but is also nothing like what i was expecting it to be. will probably be my final book of the year. i wanted to get to in memoriam but don’t want to end 2023 heartbroken. at least not by books anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I know it's doable and like Caffeine said for some their lifestyle might be conducive to it but I feel like if you're reading 300+ books a year, are you actually retaining stuff?

My "best" reading year in terms of number was 2020 with 175 and I felt like that was good because I spent most of that year at home, and I actually had time to read those books in a leisurely manner. If I tried to read 175 now, I'd probably end up not remembering half. So what's the point? Are we reading for enjoyment or just for consumerism?
TBH a lot of ppl who say they do that can do that and that seems to be mainly 1 they don't work and 2 they are reading crappy pulp romance books that take about an hour or 2 to read tops.. I read all the time but work and read mostly lit fic and bang out about 100 to 175.. more on a good yr.. I lost my reading mojo a few times this yr and also had to spend a lot of time jobsearching while still doing a full time job.

I'm on 92 out of 50 but will prob hit 100 as there's some short ones and also the crappy Xmas romancey chick lit ones usually only take me an hour or 2 to read. Won't be reading tonight.. we have no lights in the flat for some odd reason.. idk if Kindle will hurt my eyes reading in the absolute dark..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
For a lot of booktubers, that is their full time job so have many more hours in the day to read because it's what makes them money. If you don't have a 9 to 5 job and can easily read for hours without a break then I can understand how you can get through a lot of books. I also think it has a lot to do with grabbing views and keeping up with book hype.

Reactions: 12
I recently followed someone on booktok (Isabella @mexican.bells, she has over 90k followers) and in her pinned video says she read 402 books in 2022. In the comments and replies she says she reads 600wpm (I’ve no idea how fast this is in context to a more average speed) and has a lot of anxiety and trauma, and reading helps her anxiety. She does have a full time job but works from home, single no kids.

• Wow
Now if reading on tattle counted towards a bookcount mine would be right up :m

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I recently followed someone on booktok (Isabella @mexican.bells, she has over 90k followers) and in her pinned video says she read 402 books in 2022. In the comments and replies she says she reads 600wpm (I’ve no idea how fast this is in context to a more average speed) and has a lot of anxiety and trauma, and reading helps her anxiety. She does have a full time job but works from home, single no kids.
I think an average reading speed is about 250 wpm. That seems so fast I wonder whether a lot of her reading is just skim reading? Would love to know if she reads for pleasure and relaxation or if it becomes a chore hence the skim.reading? Just cos if I really enjoy a book, I take my time over it to make it last, but do skim read books I'm really not enjoying?

Reactions: 14
I read an awful lot (262 so far this year) and it's a combination of being a very fast reader and spending most of my non-working time reading. I've not got kids, any commute or a big house to keep clean so I have a lot of spare time. I'm always reading - if I'm not motivated to read one book I pick up another one, and can have 4-5 on the go at a time. I don't know wpm speed but your average 350 page book takes me about 3-4 hours to read.

Some of them are short stories/novellas (shortest this year was Galatea at 20 pages) but my longest this year was Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, which is 900-odd pages and took me about 4 days to read.

I remember the details well of books I enjoy, but am definitely guilty of skimming some I really don't like. Someone above said they'd rather read fewer great books - same, but so many books I thought I'd love turned out to be terrible once I'd started and i don't dnf! I love the variety and breadth of my read books.

• Heart
I think reading should be for fun and definitely for escapism. It’s not about numbers for me.
If I read a really good book I’ll often slow down because I don’t want it to end and then I’ll give it 24hr before starting a new book unless it’s the next one in a series.

Reactions: 17
Maybe if it's your full time job youtuber/blogger/reviewer or maybe in a side of publishing that requires you to read you can get high numbers. Although you do wonder if they 'do' anything else in their free time.

I'm currently on 79/70 but gutted I'm not going to make over a 100 this year. I've had to come to the realisation that reading has had to take a back seat to other things this year and that is ok.

I feel this year has been a lot of crappy romance and a huge number of meh books. I'm hoping in 2024 to branch out a little more in my reading and try to pick up books in different genres than I would usually and try to find my style more as I feel like I'm growing out of romance a little. Although I will be still picking up some of my faves like Emily Henry.

I'm now off for Christmas and hoping to get some good reading in these next couple of weeks. Really want to pick up Forth Wing but worried it's going to be so overhyped I won't enjoy it so much.

Reactions: 9
what’s been everyone’s top book this year?

mine was Notes on an Execution.

Reactions: 6
I’m on 171 for this year - hoping I’ll get to 175 by the end of the year but will see.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I work - plus I don’t sleep too well so my kindle is handy. I also try to read for a bit every evening as it helps my mind switch off from work. I have only read a couple of books for the last couple of months though so it’s swings and roundabouts for me.

Reactions: 7

I wondered the same. What made me think about it was one of their reviews said the timeline was confusing and I really didn’t think it was which made me wonder about skim reading etc.
---
If you read very short books, it's not that impossible/hard but what's the point? I think some people are very number oriented, especially if they are on social media as it's kinda attention-grabbing. Personally, it's not something I thrive for as I'd prefer to read 12 5-stars books over 300+ 3-stars books.

I read 100+ books this year but it's already a bit too much for me, in retrospect. Next year, I'll try to be more 'intentional' with what I read.
I think I’m going to try and be more selective/intentional next year rather than be unable to resist whatever’s new and catches my eye. I bought Goldfinch in September wanting to read it asap and predictably.. 3 months later.. I have not read it.
---
I read an awful lot (262 so far this year) and it's a combination of being a very fast reader and spending most of my non-working time reading. I've not got kids, any commute or a big house to keep clean so I have a lot of spare time. I'm always reading - if I'm not motivated to read one book I pick up another one, and can have 4-5 on the go at a time. I don't know wpm speed but your average 350 page book takes me about 3-4 hours to read.

Some of them are short stories/novellas (shortest this year was Galatea at 20 pages) but my longest this year was Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, which is 900-odd pages and took me about 4 days to read.

I remember the details well of books I enjoy, but am definitely guilty of skimming some I really don't like. Someone above said they'd rather read fewer great books - same, but so many books I thought I'd love turned out to be terrible once I'd started and i don't dnf! I love the variety and breadth of my read books.
I definitely think I’ve read more this year by having multiple books on the go, not sure if it’s mood reading or just liking picking up a ‘new’ story but I like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Maybe if it's your full time job youtuber/blogger/reviewer or maybe in a side of publishing that requires you to read you can get high numbers. Although you do wonder if they 'do' anything else in their free time.

I'm currently on 79/70 but gutted I'm not going to make over a 100 this year. I've had to come to the realisation that reading has had to take a back seat to other things this year and that is ok.

I feel this year has been a lot of crappy romance and a huge number of meh books. I'm hoping in 2024 to branch out a little more in my reading and try to pick up books in different genres than I would usually and try to find my style more as I feel like I'm growing out of romance a little. Although I will be still picking up some of my faves like Emily Henry.

I'm now off for Christmas and hoping to get some good reading in these next couple of weeks. Really want to pick up Forth Wing but worried it's going to be so overhyped I won't enjoy it so much.
I loved Fourth Wing, but then I love fantasy and dragons! I think the concept of the relationship between the dragons and the riders is quite enthralling.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.