Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CommentBelow

I know it's doable and like Caffeine said for some their lifestyle might be conducive to it but I feel like if you're reading 300+ books a year, are you actually retaining stuff?

My "best" reading year in terms of number was 2020 with 175 and I felt like that was good because I spent most of that year at home, and I actually had time to read those books in a leisurely manner. If I tried to read 175 now, I'd probably end up not remembering half. So what's the point? Are we reading for enjoyment or just for consumerism?
I wondered the same. What made me think about it was one of their reviews said the timeline was confusing and I really didn’t think it was which made me wonder about skim reading etc.
---
If you read very short books, it's not that impossible/hard but what's the point? I think some people are very number oriented, especially if they are on social media as it's kinda attention-grabbing. Personally, it's not something I thrive for as I'd prefer to read 12 5-stars books over 300+ 3-stars books.

I read 100+ books this year but it's already a bit too much for me, in retrospect. Next year, I'll try to be more 'intentional' with what I read.
I think I’m going to try and be more selective/intentional next year rather than be unable to resist whatever’s new and catches my eye. I bought Goldfinch in September wanting to read it asap and predictably.. 3 months later.. I have not read it.
---
I read an awful lot (262 so far this year) and it's a combination of being a very fast reader and spending most of my non-working time reading. I've not got kids, any commute or a big house to keep clean so I have a lot of spare time. I'm always reading - if I'm not motivated to read one book I pick up another one, and can have 4-5 on the go at a time. I don't know wpm speed but your average 350 page book takes me about 3-4 hours to read.

Some of them are short stories/novellas (shortest this year was Galatea at 20 pages) but my longest this year was Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, which is 900-odd pages and took me about 4 days to read.

I remember the details well of books I enjoy, but am definitely guilty of skimming some I really don't like. Someone above said they'd rather read fewer great books - same, but so many books I thought I'd love turned out to be terrible once I'd started and i don't dnf! I love the variety and breadth of my read books.
I definitely think I’ve read more this year by having multiple books on the go, not sure if it’s mood reading or just liking picking up a ‘new’ story but I like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2

Elle

VIP Member
I checked my Goodreads as thought it was her who wrote A Million Love Songs (which it was and I gave it 5 stars) and turns out I’ve also read the Christmas party and only gave it two stars I’m afraid.
Haha that's so random. I might give it a go but with low expectations!

daisynoon

Chatty Member
Waited months for fairyloot, bought what's in their December box as a special edition because I thought I probably wouldn't get in for it, and just got an invite 😅 painfully I think I'm going to decline it after waiting so long because I can't double-up on books (and looking at speculation I'd have three clashes out of the next four books). I said to myself that if I didn't hear before black Friday then I'd buy the books, and then I hear on the next working day. Ah well. Sure the next person in line will be thrilled.

---

no i’m the opposite, I love when the writer goes completely different to what I thought. I often find this genre quite Cliched and you can usually guess way before you reach the end so i’m always pleasantly surprised when it takes a different turn.
I occasionally feel annoyed that it's easy to figure out and then realise I've fallen for the red herrings 😅 Agatha Christie gets me a lot.

tay65

Chatty Member
Wow yes I can imagine. I dont tend to go to my library for physical books because for various reasons I forget to return. I mostly use them for online and audio where they can just take it back.

I have A Slow Burning Fire in my bookcase. I picked it up at work where we have a swap library set up! :D so I will try read it next year.
I decided to try some new (to me) authors when I went to the library at the weekend. I borrowed:
The Hike - Lucy Clarke
The Therapist - Helene Flood
To Tell You The truth - Gilly Macmillan

Just wondered if anyone had read any of these books and what they thought

twilightgarden

VIP Member
And also thank you to whoever mentioned the audio version of Hidden Valley Road. Listened this week (and typically don't listen to books) and it was a great listen.
I listened recently too because it was mentioned on here. Fascinating isn’t it! Now looking for my next audible read, recommendations welcome.

• Heart

Honeystar

VIP Member
The main thing I do like about TTMC is the characters, I would actually like Osman to try something more character driven next time as I do think he observes people very well.
Totally agree, I love the characters and their relationships in TTMC but I felt in the third one this was lacking a little so I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. Still need to read the fourth but I'm waiting for paperback

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I do mine in an unpublished list on listchallenges, which works for me!

Also with illumicrate, if you want to see what the upcoming books are, https://instagram.com/theautumnbookreads always has spoilers so you can see if you want to skip a month! (This account seems to cover all the book boxes, no idea how they do it!)
Oh this is so good. Thank you. The books are just so beautiful Im unlikely to skip 😂🙈

Ive got a spreadsheet and a notes app list too. It doesnt seem to stop me but I am going to try.

CommentBelow

Clearly we're all going to have great looking shelves 😉

Popped into my local waterstones to buy my sister something (The Marriage Portrait, took @CommentBelow's bookmark tip to bump it over £10 which I guess actually just means I got a free bookmark), and they said that they'd had a pretty quiet day yesterday, but I guess I do a lot of my double stamps shopping online, so probably not all that surprising.
I added a book mark to yesterdays order to round over the next £10 and felt pretty pleased Waterstones are practically paying me (in stamps) for a bookmark lol

• Haha

OH.FFS

VIP Member
I have been pretty quiet, I sadly lost a parent this week completely out of the blue. I feel like every single book I pick up, even the smut mentions death in some way.

Ive been watching all the stupidest crap on tv that I know for sure will not mention death. Inside M&S at Christmas. Inside Costco at Christmas. Inside McVities at Christmas. Cooking shows.

Does anyone have any book recs for me? Feel like I will never read The Winners at this point 😬
I’m so so sorry for your loss. Sending you love and you and your loved ones are in my thoughts. X

• Heart

JLXRD

VIP Member
Finished The Virgin Suicides and going onto Carrie Soto is Back.

I wanted to read Penance next but I go on holiday Sunday for a couple of days and I ain’t lugging a hardback round the airport with me

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Went to pick up my ordered books from the library today and why do I do this to myself 🤷🤷🤷🤷🤷 The Barbra Streisand book is an absolute tome!!!!

twilightgarden

VIP Member
Finished I died on a Tuesday by Jane Corry. Got it from Netgalley and would say to any fans not to bother buying it.
Very dissapointed with the story. Had great potential but juat completely flopped for me 75% in. It was building nicely to the big reveal but ended with 4/5 reveals and imo unsatisfactory ending. You were invested in the characters just for some to be completely abandoned by the author at the end.

Very very strange
Oh no! 😔 I got approved for this the other day and was looking forward to starting it. I usually like her books too, that’s disappointing to hear.

Tofino

VIP Member
I’ve not read any Kristen Hannah yet but I do have The Great Alone high up on my tbr list for the new year.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Went a bit mad yesterday perusing the list of books I want to read on my library account. Clicked away placing a hold on some of them. Then went to sleep. Just checked my account now and a lot of them are in transit to me. Gulp!

You might have finished it by now, I just finished it yesterday (and was at the same point as you when you posted, so didn't read the spoiler), I think I did a big sigh because it already felt like a slog at that point tbh and thought I couldn't be arsed anymore. It worked out ok though and got back on track!
I agree it has very much felt like a slog. I just think the twist (if you'd like to call it that) was so strange as he's not in that sort of genre. It was so out of left field I feel like he must've had a fever dream and then just included that in his novel.

Still enjoyed his writing but would give this 3/5 just for twist 75% in

nbt

VIP Member
Almost skipped over Remarkably Bright Creatures but it's now firmly in my top five from the year, so another recommendation for anyone teetering, it really is fantastic!
I’ve seen this mentioned so many times and yet it’s never made my wish list… until now. Anyone listened to it on Audible?

• Heart