Books #23 Reading Chats. Unproblematically Pleased With Our TBR Piles

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m gonna buck the trend and say I thought it was rubbish. I apparently gave it 3/5 according to Goodreads but I remember whinging about how dull it was here. Seems you’ve got a right ol’ mix of opinions to stack yours against.
Ohh interesting! So far I am finding it a bit dull so wondering if I'll end up with the same opinion but will update when I'm done!

Reactions: 2
Anyone know anything about Elly Griffith's? I read a magazine article recommending authors and she was mentioned.

Reactions: 1
Folks I’m really struggling to finish a book! Granted, my mental health is being seriously tested at the moment, and the hospital environment isn’t the most conducive to focusing on words on a page, but I am DNFing books after a few pages, a few chapters, 50% and 70% in. Got halfway through Sebastian Faulks’ newest Seventh Son but was so bored. Finished Happiness Falls but it was an exercise in endurance. Now reading Kiley Reid’s newest as I so enjoyed her first but…

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Folks I’m really struggling to finish a book! Granted, my mental health is being seriously tested at the moment, and the hospital environment isn’t the most conducive to focusing on words on a page, but I am DNFing books after a few pages, a few chapters, 50% and 70% in. Got halfway through Sebastian Faulks’ newest Seventh Son but was so bored. Finished Happiness Falls but it was an exercise in endurance. Now reading Kiley Reid’s newest as I so enjoyed her first but…
Miss you Carapop. Hope you're doing OK and being kind to yourself. Mental health stuff is so bloody hard.

I just finished Dolly Alderton's new one Good Material. I flew through it it really tickled me. It's from a male perspective which I feel like she did SO well.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Sorry to hear you’re struggling @Carapop. Hope you’re back in your own space soon. Maybe revisiting some old favourites would help? Do you have comfort books that you like to revisit, or even something you read once but stuck with you and would be good to reread? Something familiar might be a bit less mentally taxing plus has the bonus of it not mattering too much if your mind does wander a bit and you don’t take in all the finer details because you already know them.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Miss you Carapop. Hope you're doing OK and being kind to yourself. Mental health stuff is so bloody hard.

I just finished Dolly Alderton's new one Good Material. I flew through it it really tickled me. It's from a male perspective which I feel like she did SO well.
Thank you darling! I actually have Dolly’s from a deal so may queue that up for my next read.
Sorry to hear you’re struggling @Carapop. Hope you’re back in your own space soon. Maybe revisiting some old favourites would help? Do you have comfort books that you like to revisit, or even something you read once but stuck with you and would be good to reread? Something familiar might be a bit less mentally taxing plus has the bonus of it not mattering too much if your mind does wander a bit and you don’t take in all the finer details because you already know them.
Thank you so much! I’m definitely picking the wrong books by looking to use this time to lighten my Netgalley shelf.

I am not one for rereading though. Given my inability to remember the larger details, nevermind the finer, you’d think I’d be a prime candidate! But rereads rarely keep my attention and I end up disliking a book I once loved.

I think some easier reads that keep me engaged but aren’t too demanding are definitely the way to go. Maybe read some of my unread Elizabeth Strout actually…

Reactions: 5
That's my next book once I finish Demon Copperhead. I'm the first person to loan it from our library. Can't wait and feel kinda special 🥰

sending you so much love 💙💙 have missed you around here x

let us know how the kiley reid is! i liked such a fun age a lot.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anyone been watching the new season of Between The Covers? It's annoying me so much because they race through the books in just a few minutes and there is no time for natural conversation between the guests. I wish they'd extend the slot to an hour!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone been watching the new season of Between The Covers? It's annoying me so much because they race through the books in just a few minutes and there is no time for natural conversation between the guests. I wish they'd extend the slot to an hour!
I love the format actually and generally end up adding a book or two on my kindle after each episode.

• Haha
it should really be an hour show i agree. it’s so enjoyable but the pace is SO fast and i’d rather there be proper time for discussion.

i’ve picked up so many great recommendations from there though. i always wonder what book i would take on there if i was a guest 🤣

I'm reading the paper palace, has anyone read it? It's a bit slow so far, but I'm maybe 20% in

Miss iron flame 😭
LOVED The Paper Palace. Picked up Dolly Alderton's new one in trusty Asda at the weekend for a tenner! Looking forward to that next after Really Good, Actually, which I'm really liking.

Sending you a hug @Carapop x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I started Good Material this morning. We just got a dog. So I was up at 5:30am with him & then sat on the couch reading it while he slept. I don't remember preordering it and had no clue what it was about. I started it expecting a memoir.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I started Good Material this morning. We just got a dog. So I was up at 5:30am with him & then sat on the couch reading it while he slept. I don't remember preordering it and had no clue what it was about. I started it expecting a memoir.
That is such a lovely image. What dog did you get? Hoping to get one next year.

I also didn't know what Good Material would be about. Dolly is just an auto-buy author for me. What are your thoughts so far? I actually listened to it on Audible and the voice actor was so great which really made it all the better.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
That is such a lovely image. What dog did you get? Hoping to get one next year.

I also didn't know what Good Material would be about. Dolly is just an auto-buy author for me. What are your thoughts so far? I actually listened to it on Audible and the voice actor was so great which really made it all the better.
He's a young Golden Retriever. He has lots of energy and needs training. He is pretty peaceful in the early morning. I don't mind getting up early with him if he's going to chill while I read. His previous owner surrendered him because he couldn't exercise him. We've been walking him 5 miles per day and he could probably go for longer 😂

I'm enjoying it so far. I wasn't expecting the male perspective, but like it. I have a soft spot for Dolly as The High Low was my favourite podcast.

• Heart
LOVED The Paper Palace. Picked up Dolly Alderton's new one in trusty Asda at the weekend for a tenner! Looking forward to that next after Really Good, Actually, which I'm really liking.

Sending you a hug @Carapop x
I finished Really Good Actually at the weekend, I really struggled with it. I wish I had DNF it actually because it just did not improve for me. A few bits did make me laugh but it was hard going otherwise.

I did think maybe it’s just me not being suited to character driven books but I’m now halfway through Before My Actual Heart Breaks and I love it, I can’t stop thinking about it. It does have a bit more plot than really good actually but still heavily character driven. So maybe it’s not me after all.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Good Material was so average for me. A fine summer holiday read but absolutely nothing original there.

Reactions: 2
@Albrouze Retrievers are such great dogs 😍 Just think of all the audiobooks you can get through when you’re walking him.
---
Thanks to whoever on here recommended Hidden Valley Road as an audiobook. Just started it and it’s very interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.