Books #23 Reading Chats. Unproblematically Pleased With Our TBR Piles

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finished it yesterday. It didn’t make sense to me but maybe I’m being dim 😂 At least my theories were wrong. At the end of the book there’s an extract of her next book, not sure I‘ll bother. Have you read it? All the Dangerous Things.
Lol glad that your theory wasnt right

I think they writer tried very hard to make it seem like it was the boyfriend so that would have been the obvious choice

I think i guessed it was the brother about 60% in.

no haven’t read the other book; dont think i even read the extract 🤣 might have to check it out

if i go MIA its because I have managed to wangle an online NYC public library card again for as long as i can hold onto it

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Im irrationally annoyed amazon do black friday deals on all sorts of tat and shite but not on kindle books 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I'm almost half way through Demon Copperhead and I'm struggling. It's putting me in such a reading slump. I'm not going to hit my book target this month at this stage and I just can't bring myself to DNF a book.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm almost half way through Demon Copperhead and I'm struggling. It's putting me in such a reading slump. I'm not going to hit my book target this month at this stage and I just can't bring myself to DNF a book.
This happened to me with TWO books last month. I switched to something else and went back to them in chunks in between other things, reading 5-10 percent at a time then swapping. As a stubborn non DNFer this is sometimes the only way I can get through.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I finished Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and am surprised at how meh I found it. I should adore it, that's my generation and I've always been as much a gamer as a reader. But it just.....didn't feel right. I've seen a lot of very positive reviews but it just didn't....join up for me. I'm so surprised to the extent I'm wondering if my mental health is in a much worse place at the moment than I've realised 🤣 I've got the audiobook too for the next 3 weeks so am going to try that on a couple of upcoming long plane journeys and see if it feels different.

Reactions: 11
I finished Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow and am surprised at how meh I found it. I should adore it, that's my generation and I've always been as much a gamer as a reader. But it just.....didn't feel right. I've seen a lot of very positive reviews but it just didn't....join up for me. I'm so surprised to the extent I'm wondering if my mental health is in a much worse place at the moment than I've realised 🤣 I've got the audiobook too for the next 3 weeks so am going to try that on a couple of upcoming long plane journeys and see if it feels different.
I feel like you! I was sad I didn’t love it!

I read it a few weeks ago and it did feel like a really really slow book. I did like it and was invested in the story and characters but just didn’t get anywhere quickly with them! If you’re not into it by now I’d cave and give it a DNF, it doesn’t really pick up much pace as you go. Either that or just surrender to the slowness of it which is what I ended up doing.

Reactions: 6
please do not blame yourself.. i found it turgid and hard groing also. DNF for me. Luckily I didnt pay
---
how did you wangle that?!
ve haf vays.... basically in the first lockdown I used a friends address to borrow online books but it ran out after a while as I had to go into branch to verify... I have done this again as I seem to have slipped off their system

Reactions: 2
i haven’t read this but i ALWAYS find barbara kingsolver hard-going: i liked the lacuna, but the poisonwood bible literally took me a whole summer to drag myself through. something about her writing style just doesn’t work for me.

Reactions: 2
I'm reading the paper palace, has anyone read it? It's a bit slow so far, but I'm maybe 20% in

Miss iron flame 😭

Reactions: 3
Finished the only one left.

loved it, bit far fetched but i didnt mind it, it added to the book.

would definitely recommend if you’re a fan of mystery/thriller type books!

Reactions: 3
That's good to hear!

That's less good to hear 😂

Oh well either way should be worth it even just to see what you mean 🤣
I remember quite a lot of debate about The Paper Palace a few threads back! Personally I loved it and it was one of my stand out books of last year. The ending was definitely a bit Marmitey amongst us though!

Reactions: 6
I have been hiding from the thread as I'm having a failure of a reading time 😭

It's been a bad reading year for me. A mix of mental health exhaustion and choosing average books! It's been soooo long since I read one that I loved couldn't put down, and meh books always slows me down.

I have Fourth Wing on reserve from the library though after all the love for it here! 🤞

• Heart
Reactions: 14
That's good to hear!

That's less good to hear 😂

Oh well either way should be worth it even just to see what you mean 🤣
I’m gonna buck the trend and say I thought it was rubbish. I apparently gave it 3/5 according to Goodreads but I remember whinging about how dull it was here. Seems you’ve got a right ol’ mix of opinions to stack yours against.
---
I finished Fourth Wing tonight. I gave it 4/5 - I enjoyed it and will immediately get the next one but I wasn’t as invested as I’d hoped to be. Also the swearing got on my nerves particularly because I was listening to it on audiobook. Oh and some of the narrators choices for characters voices annoyed me a little at first but I did get used to it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.