Books #21 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just got an ARC of this from the Booker longlist but the reader reviews are not great! Has anyone read it?
IMG_9435.png
!

Reactions: 1
Speaking of Sally Rooney. Did anyone actually try watching the TV adaptation of Conversations with Friends. And I really liked the Normal People TV series.
Jesus bleeping Christ. Was a more drab boring thing ever committed to film. Main character whiny insecure and miserable. Other characters miserable and deeply unlikable. Nothing happens except people giving each other funny looks. duck Off
It wasnt good, especially compared to Normal People where they got the casting so right. I am feral for Paul Mesal's Connell 🥵

Ive heard people say that Nick was more charming in the book than the tv show but my interpretation of it was that he wasnt supposed to be charming, full stop. 🤷‍♀️ but Bobbi was also a v annoying character imo both in the book and the tv show. I think it was SR's weakest book though and I say it as SR fan (dont throw me out the group!)

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Has anyone read the fostering memoirs by Cathy Glass? Her next one is going to be her last one. I’ve read quite a few and they’re really sad but I find I can read them quite quickly - I like the way she writes.

Speaking of Sally Rooney. Did anyone actually try watching the TV adaptation of Conversations with Friends. And I really liked the Normal People TV series.
Jesus bleeping Christ. Was a more drab boring thing ever committed to film. Main character whiny insecure and miserable. Other characters miserable and deeply unlikable. Nothing happens except people giving each other funny looks. duck Off
I had to give up on it and it actually made me question how I liked the book because it was that boring 🤣
---
Has anyone read Bob Mortimer’s book and do we reckon it was written by him or with help?

Has anyone read Bob Mortimer’s book and do we reckon it was written by him or with help?
my dad read it and loved it and, from the brief excerpts i’ve seen, definitely seems to be written by him. that humour is hard to replicate 🤣 the way he talks about the writing process in interviews and such sounds legit to me too.

Reactions: 5
Finally finished The Winners 😭😭 My heart feels both full and empty, Backman knows how to pull at your heartstrings
I genuinely don’t think I’ve read such a beautiful book series before, you have such a deep connection with every character

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Just started Whalebone Theatre which is my 3rd book this month already. Its a big book though so not expecting to finish it quickly!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Finally finished The Winners 😭😭 My heart feels both full and empty, Backman knows how to pull at your heartstrings
I genuinely don’t think I’ve read such a beautiful book series before, you have such a deep connection with every character
Okay I really need to read it. Why do I keep putting it off.

Reactions: 3
I wasn't a huge fan of the last one which I'm so gutted about 😭 I even ended up with 3 copies as was so eager to take it on holiday on release date and mine didn't dispatch in time so I bought it again, then my bf also got it me as I had been going on about my excitement so much 😂

I think I'm definitely in the minority though as the reviews for it are overwhelmingly positive. The first two are 5* favourite books for me though. I've written my thoughts about it a few times here already but the 3* reviews on goodreads mostly sum up my feelings about it. I'm sure I read somewhere that Backman never planned to write a third, but can't remember where and can't find it anywhere now so possibly have made that up..

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I wasn't a huge fan of the last one which I'm so gutted about 😭 I even ended up with 3 copies as was so eager to take it on holiday on release date and mine didn't dispatch in time so I bought it again, then my bf also got it me as I had been going on about my excitement so much 😂

I think I'm definitely in the minority though as the reviews for it are overwhelmingly positive. The first two are 5* favourite books for me though. I've written my thoughts about it a few times here already but the 3* reviews on goodreads mostly sum up my feelings about it. I'm sure I read somewhere that Backman never planned to write a third, but can't remember where and can't find it anywhere now so possibly have made that up..
Honestly, the last 50 pages felt so rushed! I guess he thought tit it’s almost 700 pages I better wrap this up 😂
Now that you say it, it does give vibes tha this wasn’t intended to be a trilogy as he kind of alluded to everyone’s end in the previous, like Benji dying etc

Yeah I do agree, the first two are phenomenal and this one is just great? Still all amazing but I can see what you mean! I’ll go back and read your thoughts now as I was avoiding reading about it before I finished!

Right following recommendations I have started The Goldfinch (I’ve actually owned it for nearly 10 years after picking it up in a charity shop in 2015🤣) but it’s intimidating me so I’m tag teaming it with Midnight Sun on my kindle as I watched all of the twilight movies in the summer hols and I feel like it’s 2008 again

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Honestly, the last 50 pages felt so rushed! I guess he thought tit it’s almost 700 pages I better wrap this up 😂
Now that you say it, it does give vibes tha this wasn’t intended to be a trilogy as he kind of alluded to everyone’s end in the previous, like Benji dying etc

Yeah I do agree, the first two are phenomenal and this one is just great? Still all amazing but I can see what you mean! I’ll go back and read your thoughts now as I was avoiding reading about it before I finished!
Yeah totally agree!

I did end up really loving Bobo in the third ❤ This is what I wrote here after I read it-
I think the book was way too long - the story wasn't strong enough for almost 700 pages. It easily could have been cut down to 300ish or even combined with the 2nd book. It started out quite strongly (loved starting immediately in the drama of the storm) and got a lot better near the end (liked the insight into the future of the characters). There was a lot of repetition reminding us what happened in the first two books which was unnecessary and could have been cut to save on words.

I wouldn't be suprised if the book came about due to pressure and not because it was initially planned as that's the feel it gave off to me. Either that or it was written purely to kill Benji. One of my favourite characters and I didn't even cry!! I thought I would be sobbing but I don't think it was well written at all. Maybe because we had so much warning that it was coming and it was so obvious how it was going to happen?

I missed the core characters. I wanted more Benji, Ana, Amat, Maya, Bobo - scenes where they were together had the Beartown magic but there wasn't enough of it. Bobo ended up being a favourite, I loved his storyline.

Obviously Backman is very good at writing characters and it was no exception in this book for the most part but the journalist and her dad could have been scrapped - I don't think that was a successful addition. I can't work out how I feel about Ruth and Matteo, it was an interesting idea because of the the similarities with what happened to Maya but without the same support she had from family/friends, and what happened to her at school made me really really feel for her, but their story as a whole also felt a bit flat yet I can't put my finger on why - perhaps the pacing?

The Richard Theo/Tails drama was dull. I almost forgot to even mention them.

I liked the addition of Hannah and Johnny and their family (Bobo and Tess was v v sweet). The Hannah and Ana friendship was also a good addition.

Overall I am quite disappointed. I didn't hate it but wouldn't have been a loss to me to not have had it in the series.

I don't think I've ever gotten so detailed and rambley about a book on here haha but it is so close to my heart 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
I finished Don’t Make a Sound and my heart was hammering hours after, thank you for the recommendation, it was one of the best thrillers I’ve read.
Now reading When God Was a Rabbit and enjoying it very much
Who's the author for Don't Make a Sound please? Just went to Amazon and there are a few books with the same title.

I thought Fourth Wing was a fun read, but I didn't go into it expecting too much, which probably helped.

I just finished In Memoriam by Alice Winn and I think that suffered because I had high expectations going in.
I was similar with both. I read Fourth Wing when it had just it come out so nowhere near the level of hype there is now and the opposite with In Memoriam. Heard so many good things but thought it was Ok. 3/5. It was easy to read but I was never that attached to any of the characters.

Which reminds me - I just finished In Remarkable Creatures after seeing it recommended on this thread (thanks!) and I did not predict my attachment to an octopus. Marcellus ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m going through a lighthearted book phase. I’ve read Graham Norton books and enjoyed them. Can anyone recommend some other books with an Irish community theme
Any books by Cathy Kelly - they all have an Irish community feel to them or Sheila O’Flanagan

I was similar with both. I read Fourth Wing when it had just it come out so nowhere near the level of hype there is now and the opposite with In Memoriam. Heard so many good things but thought it was Ok. 3/5. It was easy to read but I was never that attached to any of the characters.

Which reminds me - I just finished In Remarkable Creatures after seeing it recommended on this thread (thanks!) and I did not predict my attachment to an octopus. Marcellus ❤
Also have an unhealthy obsession with Marcellus.

Takes a v skilled writer to make the reader have such strong feelings to an 8 legged creature imo. 🤭

The narrator who voiced him in the audio was perfection. 🐙

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I finished Counterfeit by Kirsten Chen today - i think it was a recomendation from this thread (most books i buy are tbh). Really, really enjoyed it!

Though as some one who saves for the occasional designer handbag it has frightened the life out of me! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.