Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was so surprised by the ending, I did not think it would end that way.
Don’t read if you haven’t finished People Like Her...

Me too! I thought there would be a stronger moral alignment at the end with Emmy and Dan pulling together but I suppose it really reveals the all consuming power of social media! Definite nod to MOD & FOD!

Reactions: 5
Don’t read if you haven’t finished People Like Her...

Me too! I thought there would be a stronger moral alignment at the end with Emmy and Dan pulling together but I suppose it really reveals the all consuming power of social media! Definite nod to MOD & FOD!
Oh you’re clever putting that spoiler thing - I won’t say anything too revealing but yes, you totally articulated my thoughts.

I was actually kind of disgusted by the ending to be honest. I hope they don’t do a sequel and just leave it to our imaginations 😀

Reactions: 2
Not really a spoiler but just incase.

I didn’t realise it was a husband and wife duo! Oh that might explain the writing style, I found it very repetitive and clumpy at times but I put it down to being a new author finding their style,
It didn’t take away from the story though and maybe because of this site and the topic I looked past that 😂

if there could be a book that sums up social media and how fucked up it is on all sides! Because I’m not just blaming influencers, I’m blaming fans and advertisers in this. They psycho fans reminds me of hinchers 😂
but totally agree MOD fits the role of Emmy.

I kinda liked how dark it was and how it didn’t just wrap everything up neatly.

One thing I would change, I wish I was more invested in the characters, I didn’t care what happened any of them 😂

Reactions: 4
You all are my soul mates 🥰🥰. I read through these threads and have found soooo many books I want to read.
I do love me some gritty detective novels but my fav genre is historical non-fiction; I’m a nerd.
I tend to read actual books and when at work on break I’ll read something on my kindle app
But something about holding a physical book *shivers*. I know I’m weird but I love it.
We have a great bookstore that always has 5$ book sales so I go crazy there and a massive used book warehouse where you find anything and everything.

I just finished “Perpetrators, Victims, Bystanders” by Raul Hilberg (read that quite a few times over the years)
Before that I read “The Heart of Everything That Is” by Bob Drury & Tom Clavin
Just started “Life after Life” by Kate Atkinson
Will get to ordering the many books you guys have mentioned for my next reads , thanks for all the recommendations 👍

You all are my soul mates 🥰🥰. I read through these threads and have found soooo many books I want to read.
I do love me some gritty detective novels but my fav genre is historical non-fiction; I’m a nerd.
I tend to read actual books and when at work on break I’ll read something on my kindle app
But something about holding a physical book *shivers*. I know I’m weird but I love it.
We have a great bookstore that always has 5$ book sales so I go crazy there and a massive used book warehouse where you find anything and everything.

I just finished “Perpetrators, Victims, Bystanders” by Raul Hilberg (read that quite a few times over the years)
Before that I read “The Heart of Everything That Is” by Bob Drury & Tom Clavin
Just started “Life after Life” by Kate Atkinson
Will get to ordering the many books you guys have mentioned for my next reads , thanks for all the recommendations 👍
Life after Life is a favourite of mine. 😃

Reactions: 1
Really getting into American Dirt now think I’ll have it finished in the next few days....need something lighthearted to read after it any suggestions ?

Starting The Whispers by Heidi Perks this weekend (well prob tomorrow 😆)
looks like it might be good.

Reactions: 3
Starting The Whispers by Heidi Perks this weekend (well prob tomorrow 😆)
looks like it might be good.
I really liked Now You See Her and I've got 3 Perfect Liars on my TBR pile. Not really felt like read this week. I'm going to try The Strangers by C L Taylor again and see if it improves.

Right i finished people like her! It was decent, it certainly didn't grip me but was easy enough to get through and I quite liked the ending actually.

Going to start American dirt tonight and hopefully get through that in time for the discussion thread.

Reactions: 3
Right i finished people like her! It was decent, it certainly didn't grip me but was easy enough to get through and I quite liked the ending actually.

Going to start American dirt tonight and hopefully get through that in time for the discussion thread.
I’ve just finished American Dirt it was amazing a book that will most definitely stay with me! I’m going to read people like her next I think

Currently reading The War Of The Worlds

Last few reads have been -

To Kill A Mockingbird - A classic that passed me by for years. I don't think it's aged well at all.

A Confederacy Of Dunces - One of the funniest books I've ever read. Worth a shout

The Invisible Man - Very good read. Quite sinister, especially for its time

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower - Possibly read this 10 years too late but still enjoyed it. Some good nostalgia in there.

I, Claudius - Felt like a slog at times but well worth it. A proper classic.

To Kill A Mockingbird - A classic that passed me by for years. I don't think it's aged well at all.
we did this is school when I was about 12/13 and I loved it, I think it’s a book that I’d excuse for not being woke enough by 2021’s standards, it was almost ahead of its time for tackling topics like race.
a lot has changed since it was written that’s for sure.

we did this is school when I was about 12/13 and I loved it, I think it’s a book that I’d excuse for not being woke enough by 2021’s standards, it was almost ahead of its time for tackling topics like race.
a lot has changed since it was written that’s for sure.
I wouldn't really say it's the 'woke' aspect of it that bothers me. All the characters were very one dimensional and almost caricatures. Not a lot happens throughout the book and then when we do get to the trial it just kind of fizzles by. There just doesn't seem enough time devoted to it after all that build up. It starts off well but then just loses its way.[spolier]

I wouldn't really say it's the 'woke' aspect of it that bothers me. All the characters were very one dimensional and almost caricatures. Not a lot happens throughout the book and then when we do get to the trial it just kind of fizzles by. There just doesn't seem enough time devoted to it after all that build up. It starts off well but then just loses its way.[spolier]
Totally get your point, I actually dislike Lee as an author and maybe it’s different for me pbecause I studied it for so long it holds a place in my heart 😂 my comment about wokeness relates more to the fact everything that’s deemed priblamatic seems to be on the chopping block lately 😏 it’s still an excellent book.

Totally get your point, I actually dislike Lee as an author and maybe it’s different for me pbecause I studied it for so long it holds a place in my heart 😂 my comment about wokeness relates more to the fact everything that’s deemed priblamatic seems to be on the chopping block lately 😏 it’s still an excellent book.
Yeah that's fair enough lol. I'm like that with Animal Farm and Of Mice And Men. Studied them to death but still can't help liking them (especially Animal Farm)

I did see some comments about the White Saviour themes of Mockingbird, it's a shame things can't be appreciated for what they were at the time and the times they were written in.

Finished People Like Her last night - solid 4 out of 5. I much preferred the first half to the second. I enjoyed reading about the utter lies that go on behind the scenes on influencers posts much more than the thriller aspect at the end - totally opposite to what I thought I would have enjoyed.

I laughed so many times when reading about the reality around the exaggerated, bullshit posts as I have a friend who is a wannabe influencer and as I know her real life so well, my bullshit radar flashes every time I read her totally made up posts. She does the whole “my baby didn’t sleep at all last night so excuse the bags under my eyes” when two minutes earlier she’s text me saying she can’t believe her child slept from 7-7!

The book was totally not something I would have read if it weren’t for seeing it mentioned here so many times so thank you! Now what to read next?!

Reactions: 6
I’m currently reading What You Did by Claire McGowan and enjoying it so far, I’m about half way through. It’s on kindle unlimited too!

tw rape

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.