Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read Every Missing Thing last night and, although I didn't enjoy the writing at first and was ready to cast it aside, I persevered and thought it was brilliant. Such a plot twist and the term "poetic justice" sprang to mind at the end. Sometimes it really is worth ploughing through and I think setting aside time to read, rather than picking it up occasionally, really helped.

On the subject of overrated authors, John Marr is another that I don't rate. I read just one of his books and still regret the time I wasted. Other hyped up and popular books also fall flat for me. The Hearts Invisible Furies bored me, Behind Closed Doors and The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes were another 2 that I didn't enjoy.

I've become very adventurous with my reading choices since getting a Kindle and now rarely read an actual book. Kindle unlimited introduced me to Mark Edwards, Rachel Abbott, Helen Fields, Carla Kovach and so many others that I now enjoy. I love reading, it's the best gift my mother ever gave me when she bought me an Enid Blyton book as a child which started my passion.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Just finished reading dani Atkins a million dreams and I’m really disappointed with the ending 😭😭

Reactions: 1
I read Every Missing Thing last night and, although I didn't enjoy the writing at first and was ready to cast it aside, I persevered and thought it was brilliant. Such a plot twist and the term "poetic justice" sprang to mind at the end. Sometimes it really is worth ploughing through and I think setting aside time to read, rather than picking it up occasionally, really helped.

On the subject of overrated authors, John Marr is another that I don't rate. I read just one of his books and still regret the time I wasted. Other hyped up and popular books also fall flat for me. The Hearts Invisible Furies bored me, Behind Closed Doors and The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes were another 2 that I didn't enjoy.

I've become very adventurous with my reading choices since getting a Kindle and now rarely read an actual book. Kindle unlimited introduced me to Mark Edwards, Rachel Abbott, Helen Fields, Carla Kovach and so many others that I now enjoy. I love reading, it's the best gift my mother ever gave me when she bought me an Enid Blyton book as a child which started my passion.
My granny used to buy me an Enid Blyton book every Friday night and on Saturday I would lie in bed drinking a minestrone cup a soup for breakfast and reading my new book. I still have them all and one of my daughters read them all too.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My granny used to buy me an Enid Blyton book every Friday night and on Saturday I would lie in bed drinking a minestrone cup a soup for breakfast and reading my new book. I still have them all and one of my daughters read them all too.
Mallory Towers ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
OH MY HEART!!!!

the enchanted wood, the wishing chair 😍😍 god I ADORED these books and they for sure got me into reading from young.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I have such good memories of reading Mallory Towers.

I also loved the Roswell series, can't remember the author now but they made it into a TV series.

Reading and access to books at a young age is so important- related charities are ones I will always support. Reading definitely shaped who I am - as cheesy as that may sound!

Young me would be mad at myself now though as I'm in such a reading slump.. the padenmic has really messed up my concentration!

Reactions: 5
Has anyone read a little life by hanya Yanagihara? I had really high expectations but I’ve really struggled to get into it 😢 Is it worth persevering?

Has anyone read a little life by hanya Yanagihara? I had really high expectations but I’ve really struggled to get into it 😢 Is it worth persevering?
It is definitely worth persevering. It's long! But a really good book

Reactions: 3
Not an easy read but I loved it. One of the few books that stayed with me long after finishing.

Im still powering through Shuggie Bain on Audible. Its really quite a sobering stark listen but Iam really enjoying it.

Started When We Believed In Mermaids by Barbara O'Neil on the kindle.

Apologies if this was covered in thread #1, is anyone a fan of the Department Q books? If so, have you read the recent one, Victim 2117, and what’s your opinion?

Read: The Girl with The Louding Voice by Abi Dare....best thing I read this year (and I'm on a book a week at the moment).

Read: The Girl with The Louding Voice by Abi Dare....best thing I read this year (and I'm on a book a week at the moment).
That's on my to-read list :).

I just finished The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer. I really liked that it was character driven, and I liked how it explored second and third wave feminism , the gender pay gap and abortion. I just wished it explored these issues a bit further. It seemed that the book was quite bloated with unnecessary details and didn't really cover those issues in much depth.

I enjoyed it on the whole though.

I have nearly finished the Push by ashley audrain after seeing all you guys recommend it! i am totally hooked and disturbed omg it's so good

Reactions: 7
About to start Cilka’s Journey. It’s been sat on my kindle for ages and I keep putting off reading it because I know it’ll be nowhere near as good as the tattooist. Think it’s time I get it done though 🤣

About to start Cilka’s Journey. It’s been sat on my kindle for ages and I keep putting off reading it because I know it’ll be nowhere near as good as the tattooist. Think it’s time I get it done though 🤣
I read this and it was good. But I definitely enjoyed the tattooist more

I read this and it was good. But I definitely enjoyed the tattooist more
I’m the complete opposite I enjoyed it more than the tattooist!
I enjoyed the small amount I read last night. I loved the tattooist so much so I was reluctant to start this but bought it when it was 99p (I usually buy loads as I see them at that price then just go through them- cheap skate😂). Hopefully I will enjoy it just as much!!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.