Books #16 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i’ve watched it so much 💙 the actor who plays tony is so lovely and i like that it gives a proper closure to the ending, whereas the book felt bittersweet to me.
Yes loved Tony, he looks very different now though 🥴

also loved saoirse ronan, she played the role so well, i think she has such a great screen presence and love to watch whatever she is in. She seems to do well with book to film adaptations v well

Might have to give it a rewatch now!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes loved Tony, he looks very different now though 🥴

also loved saoirse ronan, she played the role so well, i think she has such a great screen presence and love to watch whatever she is in. She seems to do well with book to film adaptations v well

Might have to give it a rewatch now!
this is reminding me that i haven’t mentioned any adaptions of little women 🤣

the 1996 one with winona ryder and baby christian bale?!?!? yes please.

i know this is a reading thread but now my “to watch” list is also increasing 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Agree on Normal People, I loved the book but thought the tv series was just as good if not better. I really liked the Mayflies tv adaption as well, but hated Conversations With Friends to the point I didn’t even finish it. I really liked A Man Called Otto! Trainspotting is one of my favourite films as well and I think it’s as good as the book. And can’t forget Matilda, one of my favourite books as a child and absolutely looove the original film! Definitely think tv shows work better a lot of the time though

I’ve said it already but I recently listened to Beautiful Boy after watching and enjoying the film a few years ago and thought it wasn’t great

• Heart
Reactions: 6
this is reminding me that i haven’t mentioned any adaptions of little women 🤣

the 1996 one with winona ryder and baby christian bale?!?!? yes please.

i know this is a reading thread but now my “to watch” list is also increasing 🤣
Omg yes that little women was superb. And I echo your sentiments re MacFayden. Loved Keira in it too.

I really thought they did justice to LOTR but so hated that they spread the Hobbit into multiple films that I refused to watch it!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Have to mention Girl, Interrupted and Handmaids Tale ( TV series, not the movie ) - absolutely brilliant adaptations of two amazing books

And The Snapper - don't know if the film is well known in the UK but Irish posters will understand how important that film is to a certain group of people from 90's Dublin.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
And The Snapper - don't know if the film is well known in the UK but Irish posters will understand how important that film is to a certain group of people from 90's Dublin.
To this day, I still quote from The Snapper on a regular basis. Mostly “that was A1 Sharon” 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I’ve been slowly catching up on this thread, great to see the recommendations.
I’ve been ill and thought I would at least get loads of books read but no 😔 Still on the same book I’ve been reading for weeks and only read about 10 chapters so far.
Hoping to get my reading mojo back very soon!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I started Dear Dolly today and had to DNF my first book of the year.

I don't think I really understood what it was about before starting and quickly realised it was not relatable to me.
Interesting to see someone else say this - I loved Everything I Know about Love but I was so bored by Dear Dolly and DNFd it.

Reactions: 2
I’ve been slowly catching up on this thread, great to see the recommendations.
I’ve been ill and thought I would at least get loads of books read but no 😔 Still on the same book I’ve been reading for weeks and only read about 10 chapters so far.
Hoping to get my reading mojo back very soon!
Ah you poor thing. Maybe it’s the wrong book for the moment? Perhaps a change in pace or tone might be helpful? Hope you’re feeling better !

Reactions: 3
oh the tv adaptation of my brilliant friend is amazing! i enjoyed the books but found the writing style (or the translation) very cold - the series adds so much vitality into it and the cast are great.

and omg anne of green gables! i am in love with gilbert blythe to this DAY. thoroughly enjoyed anne with an e on netflix too.
I couldn’t watch Anne With An E, as soon as they double barrelled her surname I was out. Anne Shirley would never have done that!

Last edited:
I've been really disappointed with all the adaptions of His Dark Materials. The film had the budget but just didn't hire the right actors, and the TV show had the right actors but somehow made the world so small and boring.

• Sad
Just finished Cleopatra and Frankenstein 😭 5 stars. Absolutely loved it, will definitely keep an eye out for what she does next

• Heart
Oh has anyone watched Where The Crawdads Sing after reading the book? I struggled with the first half of the book but loved the second half and ending! Not yet watched the film 🙂
i loved the movie but i also loved the book!

agree that normal people was better as a tv show than a book. paul mescal is an incredible actor

Reactions: 4
I've been really disappointed with all the adaptions of His Dark Materials. The film had the budget but just didn't hire the right actors, and the TV show had the right actors but somehow made the world so small and boring.
the tv series had so much potential but just lost it all after the first season imo :(

i go back and forth on the casting and would personally mix the two up. loved james macavoy but thought nicole kidman was a perfect mrs coulter. i preferred the lyra in the series too. neither adaptation got my boy lee scoresby right though :(

edit: as an update, enjoying tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow; it’s a genre of american lit-fic that i usually like (it’s very michael chabon!) it does occasionally applaud itself for its own cleverness but i’ll allow it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.