Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just finished Silent Sisters.... finished it in one sitting today.... much to my husbands annoyance as i've ignored him most of the day! Christ, i'm not easily disturbed and watch all sorts of grizzly murder/crime stuff, but this one has really shaken me... definitely not for the faint hearted. Joanne Lee is an incredible woman though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
currently flying through the marriage portrait by maggie o’farrell which might be on course to be my first five star read in a while. her writing is 👌🏻
back to confirm five star read, amazing 👏🏻👏🏻

i then read the marriage game by sera desai yesterday which was very charming but also reminded me of why i think romance is the hardest genre to get right. if you can’t get the audience to buy into your central pairing then the whole book is lost, and i HATED the male lead of this one so much.
---
I don't think I explained it very well in my excitement to share 🤣

But it's the normal cafe where you can get get food, soft drinks etc but they also do cocktails and happy hour (3 hours of it!) 4 nights a week.

I like to go out and I like cocktails but I don't like noisy, over crowded bars anymore so this is perfect - flicking through books, with an espresso martini, and home at a reasonable hour.
what kind of a dream is this?!?! four nights a week?!! tattlers, meet me there! sounds amazing 💙
 
  • Like
Reactions: 7
FINALLY got around to reading The Family Upstairs, it's only been on the shelf a couple of years. And I'm gripped. It's so good. Why did I let myself take so long to read this!?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 9
I read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and really enjoyed it. Then I read Daisy Jones and The Six and hated it 🫠 Any suggestions for another TJR book I might like?
I think my fav book by her after evelyn is after I do.
---
currently flying through the marriage portrait by maggie o’farrell which might be on course to be my first five star read in a while. her writing is 👌🏻
I’m currently listening to instructions for a heatwave by Maggie. Really enjoying it. Like her writing style so will definitely add this to the list.

Have had hamnet on my list for ages too, need to bump that up too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
back to confirm five star read, amazing 👏🏻👏🏻

i then read the marriage game by sera desai yesterday which was very charming but also reminded me of why i think romance is the hardest genre to get right. if you can’t get the audience to buy into your central pairing then the whole book is lost, and i HATED the male lead of this one so much.
---


what kind of a dream is this?!?! four nights a week?!! tattlers, meet me there! sounds amazing 💙
I agree! Have just tried to read The Other Half of Me, but both the main characters irritated me so much I couldn't face finishing it. Bailed at 57%
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I agree! Have just tried to read The Other Half of Me, but both the main characters irritated me so much I couldn't face finishing it. Bailed at 57%
romances must be so hard to write! you have to make your central characters likeable and compatible, have their actions make sense and be justified, have any obstacles be understandable but not too big, have to make the couple easy to root for….. when it’s right it’s magic but, like you say, if i can’t get into the main characters then it’s over 🤣
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
FINALLY got around to reading The Family Upstairs, it's only been on the shelf a couple of years. And I'm gripped. It's so good. Why did I let myself take so long to read this!?
I have this lurking on my shelf! Thanks for the encouragement.

Happy Like Murderers is taking me a while to get through. It's not an easy read...not that I expected it to be.

Also reading Can Everyone Please Calm Down by Mae Martin. Love them and it's an interesting and quick read. £2.99 on Kindle at the moment.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I’ve just finished Vampires of Moscow, nice easy read, nothing too taxing. Now onto the sequel, Witches of Barcelona. Sexy vampires and witches, what’s not to love 😂
 
I think my fav book by her after evelyn is after I do.
---


I’m currently listening to instructions for a heatwave by Maggie. Really enjoying it. Like her writing style so will definitely add this to the list.

Have had hamnet on my list for ages too, need to bump that up too.
I also have Hamnet on my TBR pile. In fact, I have two copies as my husband bought it me for Christmas two years in a row 😂
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 8
I’m reading The Vacation by John Marrs and although I’m enjoying it, there’s too much teasing with plot points that it doesn’t feel like it’s getting there. I’m 50% of the way through and not a huge amount has happened. The next 50% better be packed with drama! But with that being said, it’s the perfect “just one more chapter” book as my Kindle shows them as always being about 1-3 minutes long.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5
Just finished The Housemaid by Freida McFadden. I couldn't put it down. It isn't a 5 star read but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was - a popcorn thriller :) Looking forward to reading The Housemaid's Secret tomorrow :D
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I’m reading The Vacation by John Marrs and although I’m enjoying it, there’s too much teasing with plot points that it doesn’t feel like it’s getting there. I’m 50% of the way through and not a huge amount has happened. The next 50% better be packed with drama! But with that being said, it’s the perfect “just one more chapter” book as my Kindle shows them as always being about 1-3 minutes long.
I’m reading While You Were Sleeping by Kathryn Croft and I’d describe it in the same way. I feel like every chapter should end in “dur dur durrrrr!” It’d better have a decent ending 😅
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I’m going to Amsterdam soon and thought it would be good to download Anne Frank diary but not sure if I should read it.
I grew up in Africa so we only touched on WW2 as we obviously have a lot of our own history.

What do you all think? Is it good for background history or will it be upsetting?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I’m going to Amsterdam soon and thought it would be good to download Anne Frank diary but not sure if I should read it.
I grew up in Africa so we only touched on WW2 as we obviously have a lot of our own history.

What do you all think? Is it good for background history or will it be upsetting?
No not at all, it's good. I read it as a teenager and more recently a couple of years ago after I visited the Frank museum which is excellent, they've kept a lot of her original writing and drawing on the walls in the attic. Be prepared to queue though! But back to the book, it's really just her story in her own words, the story of her growing up, the frustrations of life in the attic and how she deals with it. The epilogue is the most upsetting part because you become so engaged with Anne that finding out she died is very sad. Well worth a read. And definitely do it before you go because the museum will make so much more sense.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 9
No not at all, it's good. I read it as a teenager and more recently a couple of years ago after I visited the Frank museum which is excellent, they've kept a lot of her original writing and drawing on the walls in the attic. Be prepared to queue though! But back to the book, it's really just her story in her own words, the story of her growing up, the frustrations of life in the attic and how she deals with it. The epilogue is the most upsetting part because you become so engaged with Anne that finding out she died is very sad. Well worth a read. And definitely do it before you go because the museum will make so much more sense.
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I’ve heard a lot about the book but don’t know any of the story
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Just a heads up as I know she has a lot of fans here but TJR is on this week's episode of Fearne Cotton's podcast The Happy Place. It was a really enjoyable listen.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I just saw that this book is on Kindle 99p. I think every woman should read it. It is devastating, frustrating and all our healthcare experiences rolled into one.

Unwell Women, A Journey Through Medicine and Myth in a Man-Made World

 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.