Books #13 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My first CoHo was Verity and I liked it, was a decent thriller. Then I thought ooh I'll try it ends with us and wow it was disappointing.

I've seen young girls gravitate towards the Tik Tok tables in waterstones with CoHo and Tessa Bailey and yikes they're not really appropriate for young girls.

I thought this video did a good job of explaining some of the shady side of coho and it's pretty funny

Reactions: 3
omg the please please have sex with me scene when he’s sorta followed her to her apartment and invited himself in and is literally on his knees asking?!! what in the world?!

the sister was just a bizarre character. like, do you feel nothing about how your brother is treating your best friend?! nothing at all?! surely you would want your friend safe and away from him?!

the ellen thing was maybe the only thing that didn’t bother me 🤣 but i hate when authors use diary entries as a plot device but the writer of the diary remembers and writes down full conversations absolutely word for word. just use flashbacks instead!!!
THANK YOU 👏🏻 like am I supposed to be swooning over this? Like aw he stalked me and begged for sex, that’s cute. He took an unsolicited picture of me and hung it in his house without my consent, that’s husband material right there. Not a chance.

Also yeah the sister was weird, I wasn’t sure why she was there to be honest? Like the whole way they met was so silly and suddenly just becoming best friends it’s very far fetched and I didn’t connect with it at all

Oh no, I have a copy of verity and I’m scared to read it now 🤣

You should deffo give Bunny a read tho! I know a lot of people didn’t get it but if you keep an open mind when reading, it was absolutely insane but I loved it
Its definitely better than her ‘romance’ books but still not great 🤣 i can see why someone who is relatively new to the thriller genre will like it, but I have read a lot of those types of books and it wasn’t a stand out one

let us know what you think if you read it. 🤣

Re-read the bunny blurb! Think i’ll bump it up to my next read 😄

Reactions: 2
My first CoHo was Verity and I liked it, was a decent thriller. Then I thought ooh I'll try it ends with us and wow it was disappointing.

I've seen young girls gravitate towards the Tik Tok tables in waterstones with CoHo and Tessa Bailey and yikes they're not really appropriate for young girls.

I thought this video did a good job of explaining some of the shady side of coho and it's pretty funny
I got verity and it ends with us for Christmas and I started with the latter so I’m reluctant to read verity now 🤣

absolutely agree tho, the whole time I was reading it ends with us, I couldn’t help thinking how badly it romanticises abusive relationships and for young teenagers reading that could actually be really damaging. The psychological effects of what she goes through are really not addressed either.

I watched this YouTube video after finishing reading and he makes some really good point! Felt very validating as all I’d really seen was Colleen hoover praise. Definitely worth a watch

Its definitely better than her ‘romance’ books but still not great 🤣 i can see why someone who is relatively new to the thriller genre will like it, but I have read a lot of those types of books and it wasn’t a stand out one

let us know what you think if you read it. 🤣

Re-read the bunny blurb! Think i’ll bump it up to my next read 😄
oh no 🤣 I think I’ll give it a go next only out of morbid curiousity 🤣

will update if I get to the end lol - let us know if you enjoy bunny too!! I honestly can’t recommend it enough

@maisiebrowne1 Verity is a great read! It leaves you thinking…
thank you, I’m gunna give it a read next!! I hope I’ll enjoy it more hahah

Reactions: 4
I know it’s not a huge issue, but CoHo’s character names get my back up 😂 Lily Bloom? Diem???

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I quite enjoy a CoHo for a quick easy read, but OMG the character names drive me insane. Glad it's not just me! Just pick a normal name CoHo please.

Reactions: 8
Ive had my say on Coho before. I think she has probably ignited a lot of reluctant readers, people who would otherwise not read any books or discovered that actually they do enjoy reading.

I find her books gripping despite not being that well written. I usually fly through them.

Ive voiced my concern in the past about her portrayal of toxic relationships and seeing young women idolising some of the main male characters leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

Up until the colouring book I was very much in the 'any books which encourage people to read are great' camp and to a certain extent I still am. I think its important we do not police what people read and allow discussion and an open thread for readers to feel able to talk about their books that they themselves enjoy, which fwiw I believe we do really well.

However I would encourage anyone to borrow her books from library/friends and not fund her personal bank account anymore. The colouring book was downright distasteful.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh no I’ve got about 4 CH books in my A-Z reading challenge. I might swap out two of them. I’m trying to use up as many books from my kindle as I can so that the challenge doesn’t cost me.

thanks for the warnings.

Oh no I’ve got about 4 CH books in my A-Z reading challenge. I might swap out two of them. I’m trying to use up as many books from my kindle as I can so that the challenge doesn’t cost me.

thanks for the warnings.
Which books do you have on your list?

Has anyone read Brave New World? It’s been on my Amazon wish list since I read 1984 back in 2021 and the other day I got notified to say it was down to 99p so I snapped it up. Started reading it tonight and I’m 40% of the way through and have zero idea what’s going on. I feel like it’s way too intelligent for me and I’m just being dragged along by it clinging to the hope that it’ll suddenly click for me.
I have, read it when I was a teenager, I don’t remember thinking it was super complicated? Just another classic dystopia, no? I did prefer 1984 actually.

thanks for the warnings.
Theyre not bad books :D Id keep them on there x

• Heart

thanks for the warnings.
Don’t let us put you off, you might like them 🤷🏽‍♀️ you have to make up your own mind.

Eg i know a lot of people feel similarly about SJM and acotar series but I love them, so different strokes for different folks

Let us know what you think if you do read any.

• Heart
and his sister names her baby RYLIE in honour of him!!! wtf?! 🤣
oh no stop with the middle name dory as well 😭

Don’t let us put you off, you might like them 🤷🏽‍♀️ you have to make up your own mind.

Eg i know a lot of people feel similarly about SJM and acotar series but I love them, so different strokes for different folks

Definitely give them a read yourself, loads of people love them and just cos some of us didn’t doesn’t mean you won’t!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Yeah I'd definitely keep them on your reading list! Verity got me out of a long reading slump last year and encouraged me to pick up books again 😊

Reactions: 4

thanks for the warnings.
verity is a genuinely entertaining read and she should do more in that genre - the ott gothicness of it suits her style: if you have that one i would definitely give it a read!

Reactions: 6
verity is a genuinely entertaining read and she should do more in that genre - the ott gothicness of it suits her style: if you have that one i would definitely give it a read!
To be honest I’m still gunna read Verity and I’m hoping I’ll like it more

Which books do you have on your list?
Right now all of these but I will dwindle it down to 26 eventually and might swap out some. I’ve already done 5 in jan.

And these are my five that I’ve already completed.

Will do. I’ve not written any full reviews for the ones I’ve read so far, just scored them out of 5. I’m in the middle of shuggie (audio) + and tomorrow x 3 (kindle)

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.