Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah I can really see how it’s not everyone’s cup of tea!
It’s a very marmite book and I wanted to like it, I just found the self pity a bit much and the constant apologising annoying.
The friendship group were beyond self absorbed and half of it was filler that I skipped and managed to still keep up with the story.
It was a no from me and I ended up selling it on Ziffit after just to get rid of it so I wouldn’t have to see it again and hate on it anymore.

At one point I honestly thought I must be broken as I just willed it to end and didn’t feel anything other than annoyance for any of them.

Thats the beauty of reading though, books will always find their right audience and what pleases some can bore others 🙂

Reactions: 4
I think if A Little Life had just stuck to one or two of the bad things that happened to Jude, it could have been great. It was when it continued to pile on trauma after trauma to the point where it becomes ridiculously hard to believe is when it annoyed me.

Reactions: 6
I think if A Little Life had just stuck to one or two of the bad things that happened to Jude, it could have been great. It was when it continued to pile on trauma after trauma to the point where it becomes ridiculously hard to believe is when it annoyed me.
fully agree.

the initial “mystery” of jude was enough imo - the parts where no one knows where he’s from or what his past is but they know something awful happened to him are the most effective. the trauma pile on that happens from the middle to the end really ruined all that. i get that the point is the cycle of abuse and all but when that thing happened towards the end even i was like “oh come on”.

Reactions: 3
I think I've made a mistake with my latest choice of book. Instead of cute as duck gay tit or similar, I've decided to read a very heavy, dry, academicy text that runs to 750 pages called Capital in the Twenty-First Century - Thomas Piketty. Now I find the subject interesting, economics, politics, inequality etc all things I find interesting. Just not sure I'm mentally in the right place for 750 pages of it. But I've started, so I'll finish. 😆 50/750 done.

Reactions: 7
Has anyone read the primrose path?? I finished it in a day and a half (heavily neglected my children) .. was completely hooked. Already ordered the other books by the author.

I think I've made a mistake with my latest choice of book. Instead of cute as duck gay tit or similar, I've decided to read a very heavy, dry, academicy text that runs to 750 pages called Capital in the Twenty-First Century - Thomas Piketty. Now I find the subject interesting, economics, politics, inequality etc all things I find interesting. Just not sure I'm mentally in the right place for 750 pages of it. But I've started, so I'll finish. 😆 50/750 done.
That sounds like a heavy tome. 😂 Let us know how you get on. Maybe read a cute gay story alongside the academic book? You can switch between them for a break. I bought two political/sociological books months ago that I still haven't got around to reading. I was in a non-fiction mood when I got them, but then my concentration went haywire for some reason. The books are Nightmarch by Alpa Shah, which is a piece of anthropological fieldwork about the Naxalite guerillas in India. The other is The Hundred Years' War on Palestine by Rashid Kalidi. Both still sound lighter than yours, though.

Reactions: 2
What do you do with your physical books when you're done with them? The last few charity bags I've had through don't list books anymore as acceptable items, so I've just started scanning some on ziffit. I usually give a few to my mum if I've enjoyed them but I have some spicy ones that aren't for mother's eyes 😂
I've started putting mine up on my local Facebook swap/barter group. Only snag is when someone offers to swap me more books 😖

• Haha
  • Heart
I finished Nanny Needed this morning and really enjoyed it! Loads of twists, bit of suspension of disbelief needed but it was a fun and quick read!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I finished Nanny Needed this morning and really enjoyed it! Loads of twists, bit of suspension of disbelief needed but it was a fun and quick read!
I’m going to try and finish it today as I was rubbish with reading yesterday. I have a theory about the book but we shall see…

I’ve started listening to The Devil’s Advocate this morning.

I finished This Is How We Are Human and I feel like a monster saying it but I dont think I connected with the book or characters the way others have.

It wasnt a bad book but it didnt stir much emotion in me at all and I feel like that was the authors intention. Easy and quick to read though.

Ive decided Im not going to spend the £10 to get £5 credit. I have 60 books on my kindle TBR list already so i figure itl probably come round again and there are no burning desire purchases for me at present.

Did a random number generator and will be starting Never Let Me Go - Kazuhiro Ishiguro :)

Reactions: 10
Did a random number generator and will be starting Never Let Me Go - Kazuhiro Ishiguro :)
wonderful (and heartbreaking) book - please let us know what you think of it! i read it years ago now but thought about it for weeks after i finished.

• Heart
I finished This Is How We Are Human and I feel like a monster saying it but I dont think I connected with the book or characters the way others have.

It wasnt a bad book but it didnt stir much emotion in me at all and I feel like that was the authors intention. Easy and quick to read though.

Ive decided Im not going to spend the £10 to get £5 credit. I have 60 books on my kindle TBR list already so i figure itl probably come round again and there are no burning desire purchases for me at present.

Loved Never Let Me Go in a heart breaking way. Still think about it years after reading. It was also made into a rather good film too.

Very impressed at your self-control! Also really enjoyed Never Let Me Go when I read it a while back. Quite an interesting premise and really well written.

I'm reading the Anomaly by Herve Le Tellier on kindle atm, really quite clever and different to anything I've read before. I'm also nearly finished Memoirs of a Geisha for work-related book club. It's not a book I'd have read otherwise, but I've found it very interesting and insightful and a bit heartbreaking.

Reactions: 3
Started Influnecer Island by Kyle Rutkin but gave up 10% into it. I just didn’t like the fact it was written in the format of “listening” to a podcast. This might not bother others but it’s not for me. I will say it was interesting and well written and can recommend if you’re not put off by the writing style.

Instead I’ve started Birthday Girl by Niko Wolf. So far a really good read. If you enjoy suspense 😊

Reactions: 1
I’m going to try and finish it today as I was rubbish with reading yesterday. I have a theory about the book but we shall see…
Quoting myself to admit my Nanny Needed theory was wrong 😂

I thought Collette was going along with everything the whole time and that she knew “Patty was dead”. I didn’t even guess Sarah was Patty and damn, it seems like it should be such an easy guess too! Annoyed with myself haha.

• Haha

Nah I didn’t love it either. Didn’t at all understand all the Sebastian love floating around here! I flew through it and didn’t not enjoy it, but wasn’t overly enamoured either.

. I'm also nearly finished Memoirs of a Geisha for work-related book club. It's not a book I'd have read otherwise, but I've found it very interesting and insightful and a bit heartbreaking.
I LOVE this book. It’s just beautiful. I think there may have been a film adaptation too

I LOVE this book. It’s just beautiful. I think there may have been a film adaptation too
Me too, it’s fabulous! The film adaptation is actually pretty good. Not totally true to the book but a good version of it.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.