Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@LittleBluebird I struggled with The Other Black Girl too. At first I thought it was a satire. Then realised it was meant to be a thriller. But then started to think it was a bit sci-fi?

I do think it gave some excellent examples of what it is like to be a WOC in particular in a very white industry. But the ending fell a little flat with me.
I think you’re exactly right re your last paragraph, and it’s totally my privilege to choose not to read it now. I’m on my maternity leave and looking for reading where I don’t have to think too much and it can just kind of wash over me.

I do plan to pick it back up when I’m in a more focused headspace. What drew me to it was the thriller aspect, since I like those.

Reactions: 2
Im listening to Skint Estate by Cash Carraway. Im finding it very engaging.
I did too. And more than a little devastating. And then I read up on her… seems it’s best to read it more as a fictionalised/sensationalised tale inspired by her own life and that of others with similar experiences, rather than entirely accurate a depiction of events! .

Reactions: 3
I’m 25% through a court of thorns and roses and no spicy scenes yet, I’m disappointed🥲

Reactions: 1
I did too. And more than a little devastating. And then I read up on her… seems it’s best to read it more as a fictionalised/sensationalised tale inspired by her own life and that of others with similar experiences, rather than entirely accurate a depiction of events! .
I did actually have a quick google because I wondered but nothing came back. Any idea what I could google?

I’m 25% through a court of thorns and roses and no spicy scenes yet, I’m disappointed🥲
THE WORST.

I do not have patience for the slow burns. 🙄 unless the chemistry is super good but its often.

I did actually have a quick google because I wondered but nothing came back. Any idea what I could google?

THE WORST.

I do not have patience for the slow burns. 🙄 unless the chemistry is super good but its often.
I thought I’d seen it in a professional review but this is only source i can find now! I guess take it with a pinch of salt !

Acotar isnt spicy, the second one though 😏 and if you make it all the way through to the 4th you’re in for a wild ride🤣

I'm about two thirds of the way through Anxious People and I'm absolutely loving it. Just the right amount of quirky, just the right amount of social commentary, really great characters and even though the plot is simple I'm surprisingly hooked.

I read another book recently that was also a character-driven 'hostage situation' story, called the Secrets of Strangers. That one was much more straightforward and earnest but it was also pretty good.

Reactions: 4
I'm about two thirds of the way through Anxious People and I'm absolutely loving it. Just the right amount of quirky, just the right amount of social commentary, really great characters and even though the plot is simple I'm surprisingly hooked.

I read another book recently that was also a character-driven 'hostage situation' story, called the Secrets of Strangers. That one was much more straightforward and earnest but it was also pretty good.
I might start this next then. One of the only Backman books Ive not read.

I might start this next then. One of the only Backman books Ive not read.
I'm happy that you and others were recommending his books, I've just finished and bawled my eyes out, and I don't often cry at books! It might have gone to the top of my list of favourites of the year.

Last edited:
I'm I'm happy that you and others were recommending his books, I've just finished and bawled my eyes out, and I don't often cry at books! It might have gone to the top of my list of favourites of the year.
Oh wow thats a big deal ha. If you enjoyed it Id recommend Beartown

I liked it but didn’t love it!

I’ve finished Notes on an Execution. I really wanted to love it but I just didn’t. I just found it a bit boring really and didn’t feel like picking the book up. It was an interesting premise focusing on the killer being on death row and telling his story from the perspective of the women around him, but it just fell a bit short for me.

I’m going to try Firekeeper’s Daughter next as its been on my TBR a while.

Reactions: 2
I have just started The Librarian of Auschwitz and was wondering if anyone here has read it and can tell me how much it'll have me sobbing 😅

• Heart
I finally finished Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle. I can see why it's considered a classic, but it dragged towards the end. I would've liked 100 pages less!

Reactions: 4
I finally finished Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle. I can see why it's considered a classic, but it dragged towards the end. I would've liked 100 pages less!
If you're interested, there's a film adaptation from 2003 with Bill Nighy and Romola Garai. :)

Reactions: 3

I also enjoyed The Secrets of Strangers.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.