Book Club January - Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I adored it. I’m new to this thread and the reading chats thread but could I join please?
Absolutely - the more the merrier here. We’re a lovely bunch and there’s never an argument or disagreement to be found. You’ll soon find that this and the reading board are the nicest boards on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve been in the reading thread for a while but never done the book club one before. Loved this book so so much❤

Reactions: 4
I finished earlier and have attempted to post my thoughts but am having trouble doing so.

I finished it a couple of days ago and I might be in the minority when I say I struggled.

I properly read the first half and stuck with it then because I felt invested in the characters.

However, I just felt like a lot of what was written was unnecessary and I was finding it a chore. I skim read the second half. It’s not a book that’ll stay with me, but I could understand the reasonings if others said the opposite.

Reactions: 3
I gave it 3 stars.

I found the gaming sections boring tbh.

I never warmed to Sadie and found her very self absorbed, selfish, heartless and cold.

I spent a lot of the book trying to figure Sam out and did warm to him. He was definitely on the spectrum.

I cried when Marx died and felt the book died for me at that point. He was an incredible character and the glue that bound Sam and Sadie together.

The death scenes were incredibly sad yet beautiful at the same time if that makes sense.

I knew the book was about gaming so accepted and expected the content. However I didn't expect, nor like, the author's opinions of sexism, racism, gender equality/non binary and homophia threaded throughout the book.

I loathed the gaming section directly after Marx death. There was no build up so it was confusing to begin with. I got the gist and understood the metaphors but would have preferred a little real time reference in advance.

I also felt the author's over use of complicated and challenging words was unnecessary and detracted from the book at times.

I’m about 25% in and I don’t understand the gaming sections at all😆

I’m about 25% in and I don’t understand the gaming sections at all😆

I need some time to reflect further on how I would actually rate this book. I must say some of it was beautifully written; particularly when Marx was in a coma - I found the writing evocative and it made me quite emotional. I will return with more thoughts!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I gave it 3 stars.

I found the gaming sections boring tbh.

I never warmed to Sadie and found her very self absorbed, selfish, heartless and cold.

I spent a lot of the book trying to figure Sam out and did warm to him. He was definitely on the spectrum.

I cried when Marx died and felt the book died for me at that point. He was an incredible character and the glue that bound Sam and Sadie together.

The death scenes were incredibly sad yet beautiful at the same time if that makes sense.

I knew the book was about gaming so accepted and expected the content. However I didn't expect, nor like, the author's opinions of sexism, racism, gender equality/non binary and homophia threaded throughout the book.

I loathed the gaming section directly after Marx death. There was no build up so it was confusing to begin with. I got the gist and understood the metaphors but would have preferred a little real time reference in advance.

I also felt the author's over use of complicated and challenging words was unnecessary and detracted from the book at times.
Wooops I should not have read this spoiler haha

• Haha
I have finished it and I think I enjoyed it, not sure, still trying to figure out my thoughts on it.

Just finished.

I enjoyed it. But I didn't particularly like any of the characters 😕

Like another poster, I really disliked the chapters set in pioneers. They were so different to the rest of the book.

But i loved the Marx coma chapters

Definitely felt like the author was using big words unnecessarily. I haven't had to look up the meaning of so many words ever before!

Reactions: 8
I was juston the Reading Thread and a poster made a very good point about a book they read which I feel also corresponds to Tomorrow x 3.

The author shoehorned topics like non binary, sexism, racism and feminism into the book and it didn't add anything to the story for me. Yes Sadie felt invisible when Sam went on tour and was accredited for creating the game but it was her choice as far as I can remember

Reactions: 2
I’m about 20% in and struggling to fully get into it. Going to push through and try and get a chunk read tomorrow.

Reactions: 1
I started this last night. I always have my kindle on airplane mode but I’ve had to turn it off when reading this so that I can check what various words mean as I’m reading it 🙃 I feel like the author used Thesaurus.com to needlessly change words that absolutely did not need to be changed. It’s really irritating me, it makes me feel like the writing is very pretentious

Reactions: 7
Finished Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow tonight. I gave it a solid 4 stars. I really enjoyed it though did feel it could have been a bit pacier and shorter. I enjoyed seeing where the characters would go next but I much preferred the meatier parts of the story (Anna Lee jumping off the roof in front of Sam and his mother, Sadie’s abusive relationship with Dov, Marx’s death to the generic game development stuff.
I have to admit that I fully skim read The Pioneers chapters as I just didn’t get what was happening at first and then when I did, I didn’t really care. But I was glad that Sadie and Sam made up by the end.

Finished Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow tonight. I gave it a solid 4 stars. I really enjoyed it though did feel it could have been a bit pacier and shorter. I enjoyed seeing where the characters would go next and I much preferred the meatier parts of the story (Anna Lee jumping off the roof in front of Sam and his mother, Sadie’s abusive relationship with Dov, Marx’s death to the generic game development stuff.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Im still plodding on with this. Im only about 30% of the way through but slightly more invested. I think the main problem is that I started it in hardback and its just so bulky to hold. I forced myself to read it in the bath tonight and did enjoy it.

God knows how Im going to read The Winners.

Im still plodding on with this. Im only about 30% of the way through but slightly more invested. I think the main problem is that I started it in hardback and its just so bulky to hold. I forced myself to read it in the bath tonight and did enjoy it.

God knows how Im going to read The Winners.
Yep this is why I bought the kindle version when it was 99p it’s easier to read 🙈 I’m about 25% in just been too exhausted to read before bed lately, and I’m not into the book enough yet to want to pick it up in the day!

Reactions: 2
Im about 25% in and enjoying it a lot more 🙂 I haven’t had much time to read, hoping to be able to dedicate time to it this weekend

Reactions: 1
Yep this is why I bought the kindle version when it was 99p it’s easier to read 🙈 I’m about 25% in just been too exhausted to read before bed lately, and I’m not into the book enough yet to want to pick it up in the day!
I have the kindle version too! I should really read that instead.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.